Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
UPnP not working in V 7 - Tech Support Of No Help - Anyone?
ZazaBB [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2006 09:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I have been in contact with Tech Support and have done everything suggested with no avail. First, some particulars:

Machine is a Dell XPS 600 with a Pentium D 955 EE
Latest BIOS available
2GB RAM
Dual NVidia 7800 GTX in SLi Mode with latest 91.31 Drivers
Soundblaster X-Fi with latest drivers from Creative Website
Windows XP Pro CLEAN INSTALL with latest updates.

This machine has NO programs or other incidental items installed. It's as clean as possible.

When trying to view UPnP server, it shows the server and the directories, however when clicking on a directory to access the video files, the following dialog box appears:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PowerDVD.exe
The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Here's what Tech Support suggested:

Uninstall and delete any CyberLink PowerDVD files & Reg Keys.
Since the machine is a fresh install, there weren't any.

Upgrade DirectX to latest Version.
Already was DirectX 9c, but I tried anyway.

Get latest Video Card drivers.
Latest available drivers from NVidia installed. Even tried going back 1 revision.

Reduce Video settings to 1280x1024x16bit maximum.
OK.. just for giggles I did this and it was of no avail, but WHO in their right mind would have a VIDEO program that didn't use AT LEAST full 32bit color even if it DID work?

Get latest Sound Card Drivers
Latest ones from Creative's website installed.

Tech Support made this LATEST suggestion:

Thank you for contacting Cyberlink Online Support.

We understand your concern related with PowerDVD 7.

Recently we have launched the latest build of PowerDVD 7. We suggest you to purchase the full version of PowerDVD 7 Deluxe software and test it on your system. If you won't like the software or software will not fulfill your needs, then you can return the software, as 30 day return policy is associated with any software purchased from Cyberlink website ie www.gocyberlink.com.

Please follow the link given below to purchase online :

cyberstore.jsp

If you have any further inquiry, then for immediate response, please use this reference:

index.jsp

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to Cyberlink Products.

Thank You and Best Regards

AHEM.... I resist the idea of buying a program that Tech Support doesn't support. If I KNEW that the program had added functionality with the full version, of course I would do so.

Does ANYBODY have UPnP working properly on their machine? My old version of PowerDVD works just fine and for me, there is NO reason to upgrade except for the UPnP functionality.

Thanks for any help.
ZazaBB [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's an update...

According to Tech Support, a NEW VERSION was *supposed* to be available on Monday, August 6, however it has not materialized. The link to the CNet download is still the prior version.

Has anyone here found a link to download directly from Cyberlink as opposed to CNet?

Has anyone here TRIED using UPnP?

Thanks for any replies!
White [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 18, 2006 19:38 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]

The latest version is available here:-

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/PowerDVD.htm
ZazaBB [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, for all of you people suffereing with a veriety of problems in PDVD7, here's some info:

I have just found out via several different sources that there are certain newer libraries (software modules for those who don't understand the term) that are INCOMPATIBLE with several software packages, but MOST importantly with certain SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS apps, PARTICULARLY VERSION 10 A/V products such as Symantec Corporate Suite 3x or stand alone A/V 10x.

Amongst other things, you will get the previously referenced message in this thread above. DISABLING will NOT solve the problem... try uninstalling and try PDVD... if all works, you found the problem, HOWEVER, I wouldn't run a program that won't allow your antivirus to work.

Just a tad bit of info....
passarela [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 12, 2007 20:29 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
My UPnP files show up OK in the PowerDVD 7 file selection browser, but when I attempt to play any of them I get an error message.

However if I browse to the files on my network and then use "open with" powerDVD they play fine... so the problem is entirely with PowerDVD 7's faulty implementation of UPnP support.

Hopefully someone from Cyberlink will notice these messages and either fix UPnP support or stop claiming they have it when they don't.
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2007 20:36 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I tested and have the same issue.... Not to take this off topic....

You have to admit there is some marketing genius behind this. 1 )Offer hacked together product to a desperate group of people who you know will buy it. 2) take your time hiring a real Dev team to develop the final product while at the same time having no financial risk.

I just wish I would have thought of it first!!