Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8 Revision History? / AutoUpdate Working?
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Hello All,

I downloaded/purchased PD8 in January 2010. It's now July and I see that the program version is up to
PD8, build 3022. Looks like there have been several updates since the beginning this year? I suppose
that's a good thing, but I'd like to know what the revision history looks like for PD8. Have searched
the forum but can't find where anyone has received an answer. Has there been any progress in finding
a place on the Cyberlink website where revision histories are posted?

Also, I have PowerDirecter 8 set to automatically check for program updates, but it was stuck in the same
version as when I purchased it.. I believe it was Build 2704. Is there some sort of setting I need to tweak
in Windows7 firewall to allow PD8 to auto update? Thanks for any feedback.

-Allen in Chicago
MikeB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Southern California Joined: May 17, 2009 23:05 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Allen,

Thats a GOOD question!

Mine is set to update automatically also but is still on the original 2704 build.

Where do you find out what version they are up to?
I can't seem to find anywhere to get updates from their site.

Mike
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

I think you are misreading what Auto update means, when selected it SHOULD tell you that there is an update available for you to download, it does not download and install automatically, from my experience this function only appears to tell you that a new version is available, not an update to an existing version.
Updates for current and previous versions can be found here,

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_GB.html

Robert

PS
There is no facility available to tell you the revision history, each new update includes the updates from previous builds

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2010 19:11

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Robert and Thank-you for taking the time to share your expertise.

Let me get this straight.. you're saying that when we have the Auto-Update function turned on in the Preferences section, the program will alert us know when a totally new version is available for purchase.. i.e., PD9 / PD10 / PD11, etc.. correct?

Come to think of it, since the program hasn't auto-updated, or even notified me that patches are available, you're probably right. The only notifications that would arrive are of a totally new version being available for purchase.

Each time an update is made, there is usually some type of program enhancement, or fix integrated into the update. What I was looking for is a verbal description of what was included in each update/patch. For instance, when you go to this page http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html and hover your mouse over the blue "i" symbol, there's a pop-up dialogue which verbally explains explains the program changes effective with the current 3302 update/patch.

I wanted to know if Cyberlink had those past revision descriptions stored in an online LOG or READ-ME file somewhere within the Cyberlink website. But, based on the lack of response to my inquiry, and past inquiries from other PD-8 customers in this forum over past years, I have to assume that such a log is not kept..at least not for public consumption. It's not a big deal...just a curiosity, because I was having some troubles with the SVRT setting and my video card and I wanted to know if perhaps one of the patches fixed it. I'll just burn a DVD and see.

Thanks again for your feedback Robert. I hope it's not too cold and snowy in your part of Australia.
Cheers!

Allen in Chicago

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2010 22:47

OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
I wanted to know if Cyberlink had those past revision descriptions stored in an online LOG or READ-ME file somewhere within the Cyberlink website

Probably the most requested 'feature' that does not exist is a real change log. The updates include a high-level, three or four item list of major fixes but do not define what certainly must be dozens or more minor fixes that are surely included in each patch.

Four words on a real change log: Not going to happen.

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
AllenChicago [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
I wanted to know if Cyberlink had those past revision descriptions stored in an online LOG or READ-ME file somewhere within the Cyberlink website

Probably the most requested 'feature' that does not exist is a real change log. The updates include a high-level, three or four item list of major fixes but do not define what certainly must be dozens or more minor fixes that are surely included in each patch.

Four words on a real change log: Not going to happen.

You sound pretty sure of yourself with that final statement, OnTheWeb. It's disappointing, but since I don't use the program (P.D.)for more than burning family clips to DVD's, a Change Log is not a critical need. Thanks for the feedback.
-Allen

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2010 00:13