Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD5 Crash - Hours lost... and then saved - read how.
Melvyn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 04, 2007 08:17 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I've just spent hours on a project. The last thing I did was to add a "skip" effect to my file and the program crashed. Now PD5 crashes as soon as I try to open my file - can anyone help?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2007 13:28

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Melvyn

Sorry to read you've been splatted by a crash of PD5.

Okay you need to remove PD5 from your system and reinstall... I think you've cause a corruption of the program and to rectify that you have to remove and re-install.

The pds you've been working on... gosh I hope you saved to a replacement pds each time and not overwritten one after the other. You would have a "fall-back" to a saved working pds file.

You could try and open the corrupted pds in the re-installed PD5, even open up the pds in Notebook (text editor) and look for the line of instruction* that you think might have caused the problem and delete it.... You have to thoroughly check ...suggest you use search "Find" for the data (effect name is a good starter). This bit will be your "learning curve" and one you need to do if you have to re-do a big project again....just remember to work on a copy pds each time. You've nothing to lose.

* the pds file contains lines of script which instruct PD to open specific media files and to put into a project Titles, Effects and Transitions. They are readable and changeable.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2007 13:29

Melvyn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

I always save my work - unfortunately I always overwrite the file. I treid to reinstall Pwer Director but I get the same crash as soon as I try to open the file. All the other pds files work just fine. Since the project is large there are so many lines of text when I open the file in notepad - I really don't know what to alter. Is there an easy way to identify the specific line of text causing the problem? In future I'll do as you say - I'll save say every 5 min covered as a new file. I spent a lot of time on the file and haven't a clue which line is the problem line.
Melvyn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Been busy so did not post an update on this problem. It took all of 40 sec to solve using Dafydd's advice. Just did an audit of one previously working project (by opening the pds in notepad) and added some missing lines to the code. Project opened just fine after that

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2007 13:29

Kelvin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2007 23:48 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
what exactly did you change? i didnt even know you could open it in word.....
Trish [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2006 11:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I would love to know what advice saved your project, as I also have one I spent hours on and it now says a C++ runtime error causes the program to close abnormally within seconds after I open the file. Just that file. What did you add or change in notepad.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I would love to know what advice saved your project, as I also have one I spent hours on and it now says a C++ runtime error causes the program to close abnormally within seconds after I open the file. Just that file. What did you add or change in notepad.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Trish you need to compare pds files...that's all and see what is working in one and what's missing in the other that fails to open. Please remember to save a copy of any files you're about to "play" with.

Quote: Been busy so did not post an update on this problem. It took all of 40 sec to solve using Dafydd's advice. Just did an audit of one previously working project (by opening the pds in notepad) and added some missing lines to the code. Project opened just fine after that"

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2007 05:22