Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Junk frames in Produce phase
8GeneL [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2022 23:39 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Started editing an AVI source file 56 minutes long.

In the editing phase I reduced the file to 17 minutes long. Then it was time to start the Produce phase.

Produce phase has two time info sets (the 00|00|00|00) things) under the Preview display. First one was
showing file length as it was created. But the second one was already showing the Produced file would be
33 minutes length (00|33|14|00) before creation of the Produce file had even been started. ?? How could that be
combined with an edited pds file completed at a length of 17 minutes?

I discovered it had already been lengthened by the existence of a number of video fragments. All of them were
from the original video file. Some of them were flashes of things less than one frame. Two or three were a
couple of frames. None of them were connected. Most of the extra frames had nothing.

How did that junk stuff become a part of the completed file I tried to delete the stuff. Couldn't do it the
usual way by left-clicking the "split timeline" symbol and then right-clicking the last video frame at the
33 minutes file length. That way didn't work. When I right-clicked on the last frame a menu appeared but
options it showed were different and not related to deleting.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You'll probably weant to change your editing style if you're ending up with many small fragments on your timeline. In the mean time, I can think of 2 easy ways to get rid of the unwanted clips. Choose the one that makes the most sense for this project:

1) Zoom out until you can asee the entire project, then drag a selection rectangle over all of the unwanted clips (which sound like they are to the right of the end of your desired timeline content). Once they're all selected, simply press the Del key to remove them

2) Another option is to first save the project, then use the same process select only the clips you want to keep. Copy the selection, then go to File | New Workspace and paste the copied content on the new timeline and save the project with a different name
8GeneL [Avatar]
[Post New]
To optodata:
Thank you for your answer yesterday. I chose the alternative #1 and all went well with that.

Now one more question.
During the pds editing process I used a file name that kept me current with what stage of editing I was in.
My final stage (which was adding texts to a few of the frames) has been finished.

One last thing to help me avoid confusion. In the Produce phase the file type must change from pds to MP4.
Is the file name also required to change? Or can it be the same file name used in pds?
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe I can chime in:

A *.PDS file is a file in which PD stores all project relevant information. You make this file by saving the project (that is all information from the media room, all clips in the timeline, and all changes and effects applied in the timeline).
This allows you to stop working at a project and also to get it back into PD (load project). The beauty is that PD saves everything and you are ready to rebegin the project work. Mind you, when you expect to save the project for a longer time, and also expect that the original media files may be moving to other folders, it is (always) very wise to PACK the project. Packing a project does the same as saving a project, but the packed project will also contain all and every single media file used in the project. It will all be saved in the folder you assign during the packing.
A PDF file is only of use for PowerDirector.

It is good to know that saving a project is something very different from exporting to a video file, like the MP4 you mention. PDS and MP4 files are different beasts: PDS is project, MP4 is video file.
These files can have the same name. E.q. test.pds (the project) and test.mp4 (the video). They can live happily next to each other.
The MP4 file (and any other media file, like MP2, AVI, etc) will be made by PD when you select the export function. There you can also select the video type (like MP4), the resolution (the higher the better picture and the more storage required).
A MP4 file can be played by a wide range of apps, and online services like YouTube.

Hope this makes sense to you.
8GeneL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Maybe I can chime in:

A *.PDS file is a file in which PD stores all project relevant information. You make this file by saving the project (that is all information from the media room, all clips in the timeline, and all changes and effects applied in the timeline).
This allows you to stop working at a project and also to get it back into PD (load project). The beauty is that PD saves everything and you are ready to rebegin the project work. Mind you, when you expect to save the project for a longer time, and also expect that the original media files may be moving to other folders, it is (always) very wise to PACK the project. Packing a project does the same as saving a project, but the packed project will also contain all and every single media file used in the project. It will all be saved in the folder you assign during the packing.
A PDF file is only of use for PowerDirector.

It is good to know that saving a project is something very different from exporting to a video file, like the MP4 you mention. PDS and MP4 files are different beasts: PDS is project, MP4 is video file.
These files can have the same name. E.q. test.pds (the project) and test.mp4 (the video). They can live happily next to each other.
The MP4 file (and any other media file, like MP2, AVI, etc) will be made by PD when you select the export function. There you can also select the video type (like MP4), the resolution (the higher the better picture and the more storage required).
A MP4 file can be played by a wide range of apps, and online services like YouTube.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Warry.
Video editing was new to me about two years ago. I quickly realized that PD (and other editing programs) had many
complex features built into them. But my goal was only to create some simple family videos, using a very limited number of
options like how to delete frames, how to do SnapShots, how to add texts to frames, etc. One other feature may be necessary
and that's Stabilization. Wasn't needed on this file but there are twelve additional source files to be edited. And now from
your answer I know that the Produced file can have the same file name as the pds file. Thank you.