Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AI Object Detection?
[Post New]
How do I create the effect shown on the official page: https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software/overview_en_US.html

Go down 1/2 way of the page, slick the tab on the left "AI Object Detection." That or a similar effect is what I'm looking for but I don't see any tutorials on how to achieve it. Am I missing it somewhere?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How do I create the effect shown on the official page: https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software/overview_en_US.html

Go down 1/2 way of the page, slick the tab on the left "AI Object Detection." That or a similar effect is what I'm looking for but I don't see any tutorials on how to achieve it. Am I missing it somewhere?

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/365/win/enu/10_04_01_ai_object_selection.html

Jeff
[Post New]

Not the same. See the link and video I referenced.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It looks like it was done with multiple layers. There is a background video without Kelly. There is a video of a walking Kelly on a blue screen. At some point, a freeze frame effect is created. It is used as a cutout with further processing in an image program used on top of an overlay of another screen with the title set at a lower opacity. which is on top of the white starburst video and with the speed reversed half way through. Cyberlink support may be able to give better details on how it is done. I am sure that they may have paid a programmer to spend many hours to create this effect of a few seconds to get it right for this advertising.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 30. 2023 23:13

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Not the same. See the link and video I referenced.

I do think some of it is the same, forget the background splash for a bit. The girl isolation is not video, it appears to be a freeze frame with fwd and upward motion and does not match the video flow at all. If you look at the girl in isolation she has no active arm swing, it's a basic freeze frame with a little bit of motion and/or zoom applied. The halo outline around her appears to be a body effect as I had linked.

The girls isolation was probably done in "Mask Designer". PD introduced "Mask Designer: Salient Object Detection NEW" at PD20 https://www.cyberlink.com/support-center/faq/content?id=26472 and then appeared to rename it "Mask Designer: Auto Object Selection" at PD21 https://www.cyberlink.com/support-center/faq/content?id=27249 . Even though I have the "Suite" version, I don't have the feature as the table indicates. You might see if your version has the feature, if not, one simply needs to isolate the girl in the freeze frame with the "Custom selection mask" feature,

As tomasc indicated, lots going on, maybe CL will provide the project details. I don't see the reverse as tomasc indicated, to me it appears the reverse appears as they transitioned out of the girl freeze frame with motion and/or zoom back to the original video. This upward and fwd motion applied to the isolated freeze frame girl simply gets ahead of the video so when transitioning back to video the girl appears to go in reverse. Download the video and go through it frame by frame to get some ideas.

If you are looking for a push button to do that total effect for you, I've not seen such a feature. I think one would have to build with multiple layers.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Even though I have the "Suite" version, I don't have the feature as the table indicates. You might see if your version has the feature, if not, one simply needs to isolate the girl in the freeze frame with the "Custom selection mask" feature,

That ultimate suite is not sold in the U.S.A. as was told by support years ago. They won't sell it to me. Only the 365 suite version is sold.

There is a feature that can be used in the ios, android, and now in the mac versions where the girl can be isolated using ai but not in the PD windows version yet.

Each of the layers were probably worked on separately, exported, and brought back in to assemble on the timeline. The forward motion and then speed reversal is on the bottom layer only with the cloud starburst video. Hope that the OP can get started on the project with the information given here so far.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 31. 2023 10:55

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The forward motion and then speed reversal is on the bottom layer only with the cloud starburst video. Hope that the OP can get started on the project with the information given here so far.

Yes, obvious reverse type effect in the cloud burst. I thought the big effect was the highlight of the skate girl vs the background splash I'm not sure if the reverse there is part of that starburst item or a added reverse, but yes, it does retract.

The attached pic of frames at 4:21 and 4:22 of the girl transitioning from the freeze frame back to the video clearly shows the freeze frame is repositioned aft of the girl in the video by a fair amount.

So what is this "Mask Designer: Auto Object Selection" that's referenced in the Windows feature specs if it's not in the PD365 version either?

Jeff
[Thumb - PD21_SkateGirl.png]
 Filename
PD21_SkateGirl.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
868 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
K-dub [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2023 10:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Is there an easy to use background removal tool in PowerDirector 365 - one as simple as say, the "free" version?

I've got the Windows version - but it seems that if one is going to pay for better tools, that such a facility would be included.

Thanks!
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quick creation of your own splash screen.
 Filename
230901 ai.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
3 layers for the splash.
 Filesize
3859 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
116 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2023 01:12

[Post New]
Thanks for all the help guys. I completed the project without the effect. But I'm going to learn how to use the effect for future projects, given the information in this thread.

Appreciate ya'll.
Splitsun [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2022 21:37 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
There is a feature that can be used in the ios, android, and now in the mac versions where the girl can be isolated using ai but not in the PD windows version yet.

Is there any word on when this feature might make it to the windows version of PowerDirector? Specifically, the AI Cutout feature in the android app would be great to have in the windows version. Or maybe have the Mask AI Object detection upgraded to work on video (it currently only works on photos).

I'm currently using my phone to automatically remove backgrounds from videos, then importing those renders back into the windows version of PowerDirector. Its a pretty slow workaround, but its faster than using the Mask AI Object Detection frame by frame.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 04. 2023 09:40