Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 17 Ultra won't load on Windows 11 on new laptop
Vicki 1960 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 10, 2021 00:02 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
So I saw two other posts about this issue but nothing resolved except that it may not work with Windows 11, but one person says it works find on their system.

Got a new laptop and went to my account and downloaded the product and when I open up Power Director and click on TimeLine the screen then just freezes as it is trying to load the media that starts with balloons.

Here is the DxDiag and also pics of the screen where it is frozen.

My other laptop was Windows 10 which I upgraded to Windows 11 and it loads the media balloons on the timeline. So it works on that computer with Windows 11.

I have Power Director Ultra 17 and I also downloaded the 2021 patch.

Help!
[Thumb - screenshot 2.jpg]
 Filename
screenshot 2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
[Thumb - screenshot 1.jpg]
 Filename
screenshot 1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
146 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
83 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2023 12:49

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There's a newer driver for your Intel UHD Graphics chip available form the ASUS support site for your new laptop. You can see if installing that makes a difference. nVidia has released many newer versions, but you have the latest "official" ASUS driver installed.

You can also try running PD17 in compatibility mode. Right click on PDR.exe in File Explorer and either run the camptibility troubleshooter or choose Win 7 like this:

There's also a new BIOS version (316 from Jan 2023) if you want to update that as well.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Apr 25. 2023 14:27

Vicki 1960 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, I tried eveything you said. I went to the link you had and downloaded the graphics. That didn't work.

I tried Power Director compatability mode - nothing.

I then tried compatability trouble shoot you suggested - nothing.

I then change to compatible to windows 7 - nothing.

I am still where it is stuck when I open the timeline and it won't load the balloons.jpg and freezes.

Oh, and I did download the BIOS.

Suggestions???

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2023 16:11

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You can try and contact CL tech support, but it seems likely that they'll say "PDR17 is not compatible with Windows 11" and drop the issue since that's an easy way out.

Obviously it's possible to run it on Win11 machines as you and I have each done, but I can't think of anything else to try at the moment.

Getting PD21/365 is an option, but you can't edit projects created in the new version in PD17. The subscription version does allow for 2 installations so you could use both machines with a single license.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I'd probably try Safe Mode and see if PD17 launches properly there. If so, it could give you some insight into potential conflicts. Is your successful laptop platform using 144Hz display?

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2023 20:06

Vicki 1960 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff:

Okay, we started it in Safe Mode and it works work and the pictures now load in the timeline - woo hoo - but we have no idea why it is working in Safe Mode - can you enlighten us?

I checked the box and we have 144Hz display.

What should we try next? We have no idea why it will work in Safe Mode, but not regular.

Thanks for having us try this at least so we know it has to be some setting somewhere in the computer that is causing the issue, would that be the issue?

Quote I'd probably try Safe Mode and see if PD17 launches properly there. If so, it could give you some insight into potential conflicts. Is your successful laptop platform using 144Hz display?

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2023 22:09

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Jeff:

Okay, we started it in Safe Mode and it works work and the pictures now load in the timeline - woo hoo - but we have no idea why it is working in Safe Mode - can you enlighten us?

What should we try next? We have no idea why it will work in Safe Mode, but not regular.

Thanks for having us try this at least so we know it has to be some setting somewhere in the computer that is causing the issue, would that be the issue?

Hi,

This is just a guess, but based on a memory of something I've come across, not on the forum here, probably on a different forum somewhere.

Some of your WER in the DxDiag were to do with the Asus armoury crate software. It might be worth researching issues around that to see if anything jumps out. There's a lot of stuff out there on it.

I have nothing hard and fast to offer so it might well be a red herring, but it might be worth a look?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Jeff:

Hard to pinpoint remotely from your words, but you now have a direction to go, a software/hardware conflict.

You say new laptop, was other software and/or other hardware drivers loaded prior to this PD17 issue? Not sure how much you have invested, maybe an ASUS laptop factory reset (lose everything) and install PD17 and see if the PD17 launch issue occurs. If it does, that narrows possibilities, either way I’d start by going through list of installed apps and look for potential conflicts, especially things involving graphics.

When in Safe Mode, besides other things, Windows uses the basic VGA driver vs specific GPU drivers. You might check your Asus Graphics/Video BIOS settings and see what options Asus provides to further narrow conflict. My guess, more than likely a display driver issue or app that controls, a live capture utility, live monitor utility…so on. Temporarily disable and enable auto-start programs and drivers to isolate conflicts.

Those evaluations and gathered results should provide insight into conflicting software/hardware.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It has been a while since I used the system configuration utility in old versions of Windows for selective startup. There appears to be only about a dozen startup apps in my original installation of Windows 11 last year so it could be easy to find the app causing the problem. One could disable them in say groups of 5 in each startup until PD17 launches with no problems. Add the startup in groups of 3 until the problem shows up again. This can be accessed by Start/Settings/Apps/Startup.

Thanks to Jeff for bringing this up. If this route is not desired or doesn’t help then the ASUS laptop factory reset suggestion may also help if the problem is not a factory installed app as suggested by the PM. Hope there is progress on this.