Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Media Library indexing is terrible among other things
jcgriff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2023 16:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I upgraded to PowerDVD 22 from 18. One thing I thought would be nice is it's ability to show individual movies and TV shows as thumbnails and hopefully getting a fix of the audio decoding of DSD to PCM. I guess I was expecting indexing something like Plex. This definetely isn't Plex. It found 1708 movies on my NAS of which it failed to identify almost 40%, so somewhere around 700 titles ( I did a sample of 200 titles). I found it had also mis-identified some (I only made it through 50 titles); for instance same title multiple different years/actors etc. There were no faces to the actors listed in the details assuming there was supposed to be. I have no intention of trying to fix this mess after a few of the unidentified movies didn't even have the right version available when I tried to fix them.

TV shows were even worse. The naming convention on my files is set up the way Plex wants them. Why would PowerDVD want something else. I'm not going to have two versions of each file with different names, that's ridiculous.

There is an option under Settings/Audio/More Audio Settings/Miscellaneous to decode DSD to PCM automatically but I still get the same errors on half a dozen movies I know are a problem in 18. My NAD M10 doesn't do DSD and the error says to "Please switch your audio source to PCM in order to play". Isn't that what the setting was supposed to do? VLC doesn't have this problem and its free.

I think I was simply ripped off, $60 bucks down the drain. PowerDVD 22 was 4 full versions higher than 18 and I don't see any additional functionality or features that matter (or work). I've uninstalled 22 and I'll go back to using 18 (which sticks to file/folder where I can actually identify what I'm playing) or when I want in Explorer by right clicking on the file and choosing "Play with...". I'm so sick of companies charging for software that simply doesn't do what they say it does or wanting users to find the problems for them; I'll certainly never buy from Cyberlink again. You shouldn't either.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I upgraded to PowerDVD 22 from 18. One thing I thought would be nice is it's ability to show individual movies and TV shows as thumbnails and hopefully getting a fix of the audio decoding of DSD to PCM. I guess I was expecting indexing something like Plex. This definetely isn't Plex. It found 1708 movies on my NAS of which it failed to identify almost 40%, so somewhere around 700 titles ( I did a sample of 200 titles). I found it had also mis-identified some (I only made it through 50 titles); for instance same title multiple different years/actors etc. There were no faces to the actors listed in the details assuming there was supposed to be. I have no intention of trying to fix this mess after a few of the unidentified movies didn't even have the right version available when I tried to fix them.

TV shows were even worse. The naming convention on my files is set up the way Plex wants them. Why would PowerDVD want something else. I'm not going to have two versions of each file with different names, that's ridiculous.

There is an option under Settings/Audio/More Audio Settings/Miscellaneous to decode DSD to PCM automatically but I still get the same errors on half a dozen movies I know are a problem in 18. My NAD M10 doesn't do DSD and the error says to "Please switch your audio source to PCM in order to play". Isn't that what the setting was supposed to do? VLC doesn't have this problem and its free.

I think I was simply ripped off, $60 bucks down the drain. PowerDVD 22 was 4 full versions higher than 18 and I don't see any additional functionality or features that matter (or work). I've uninstalled 22 and I'll go back to using 18 (which sticks to file/folder where I can actually identify what I'm playing) or when I want in Explorer by right clicking on the file and choosing "Play with...". I'm so sick of companies charging for software that simply doesn't do what they say it does or wanting users to find the problems for them; I'll certainly never buy from Cyberlink again. You shouldn't either.

I found that the new features and improvements that added in recent powerdvd versions are mainly about media library sharing on LAN, and streaming video or music via Cyberlink cloud.

None of them are relevant with your major concern : online movie or TV shows info mapping.
And, as what I've known, DSD is not supported on video file playback at all in powerdvd. It is for music only.

As we know, the online movie database that powerdvd uses has been such a bad one for many years.
If you expect something that they are not focusing on or think it should act like your probably favorite "Plex", I'm afraid you won't satisfy with that ever (but not me personally).
jcgriff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2023 16:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

I found that the new features and improvements that added in recent powerdvd versions are mainly about media library sharing on LAN, and streaming video or music via Cyberlink cloud.

None of them are relevant with your major concern : online movie or TV shows info mapping.
And, as what I've known, DSD is not supported on video file playback at all in powerdvd. It is for music only.

As we know, the online movie database that powerdvd uses has been such a bad one for many years.
If you expect something that they are not focusing on or think it should act like your probably favorite "Plex", I'm afraid you won't satisfy with that ever (but not me personally).

Thanks for the response. I understand that it now appears most of the improvements were unrelated to what I was looking for but if you look at the marketing on Cyberlinks home page for 22 it says:

PowerDVD, Reimagined
Discover our completely redesigned user interface with a more user-friendly media management hub.

Your Movies, Your Way
Organize your media with customizable thumbnails, poster walls, and AI-powered photo management.

They make it a big deal and it simply doesn't work. Who's fault is it that the online movie DB is bad, that's a choice they made. And lastly why have the DSD to PCM option if it doesn't work natively? Confusing.

I say it's purposely misleading marketing. Turns out it's nothing more than playback software which I can get for free with VLC.