Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Want to burn MP4 on my laptop to DVD as MP4
Donald23 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 04, 2023 15:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using Power to go 13.

I'm sure I've done it once before but my bell isn't ringing.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can do it again by using the help (F1 key) to ring the bell. Here is an explanation from the last post that may help: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/118504.page .
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm using Power to go 13.

Yes, as the link tomas shared explains, you need to burn a data DVD then.

Dave
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm using Power to go 13.

You don't even need Power2Go. Just use Windows explorer to burn that MP4 to a data DVD.
1) Insert DVD
2) Open DVD, drag and drop files
3) Eject Disc

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
There might be a slight advantage to having P2Go installed on a pc. It really is not needed at all since Win 10, and 11 can mount images, burn optical discs, etc. Someone still using say Win XP that may not have those tools.

I just tried burning a 1 GB mp4 file to a blank DVD-RW using Win 11 by Drag n Drop. The optical drive keeps making these click sounds every ½ second even when the file is completely written in 6 minutes. You see the file size in the opened file explorer after it is finished copying. There is no setting for burn speed. I don’t recall these limitations when using a particular third party software.

I do recall that my previous test on an earlier version of P2Go burned at max speed. Again there is no setting for burn speed.

Your version of P2Go may or may not have a speed setting feature. Many free and paid optical disc burner software have these features and other features like verify the data. It is important to read the instructions or help(F1 key) for any software to get the most out of it.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just explored the free version of P2Go11. It reported that DVD-RW as blank and erase is not needed. That same 1 GB data file is still there on the disc as shown in file explorer and it plays properly with the win media player.

Burn speed can be selected and a data verify option is available too in P2Go11. Previous Cyberlink P2Go in free Giveaways did not have these features. Recall that Cyberlink software used in Win 11 will receive no support if it was not specifically written and sold for win 11 compatibility. This may be a bug for the Win 11 user which will receive no support. You can still download it from the Cyberlink website.

The burn speed here appears to be 2X with Win 11, and previously 1X with Win 10 using Jeff’s suggestion on my pc.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
It really depends how new or old school your knowledge and hardware are. With older, pre about 2005, buffer issues during burns often occurred which manually lowering the speed was beneficial to circumvent. Since then, most drives support what’s called Burn Proof technology, different proprietary names for each manufacturer. With this, the recording process is periodically paused using drives Burn Proof technology, this process allows the write quality to be checked so as to determine whether or not it is good enough to allow the burn speed to be incrementally increased or decreased. It can be incrementally increased to the maximum speed of the current media as supported by the drive. Each media has it's designed specific speed imprinted on the unused slow inner ring area of the media which the drive firmware reads upon disc insertion. With poor quality media, one will often experience different write times when doing multiple discs from this technology.

So basically, setting speeds manually is kind of a thing of the past with current hardware/software/firmware. The speeds are changed throughout a long burn to try and provide quality. But yes, if someone is still using XP and common hardware from that time, finding a proper software for such would be beneficial. OP states Power2Go 13 which falls into your nonsupport comment for XP based on CL provided specs.

Jeff