Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
screen recording in Director 15 and started shutdown - recover temp file possible?
Chris_user2023 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 08, 2023 12:10 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I was capturing a screen record using PowerDirector 15 and had finished with my selection. Before I stopped the recording and allowed PowerDirectort to produce the named files, I hit "shut down computer" and the process started. While it started shutdown, I was able to cancel and get back to the desktop but the screen recording process had stopped.

Is there a temp file located somewhere that I can recover the screen capture that was in process or is that recording lost?

Thanks!

Chris
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You should start a support ticket right away in case no one here had such an experience and had to hunt for the temporary files from the screen recorder.
Chris_user2023 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You should start a support ticket right away in case no one here had such an experience and had to hunt for the temporary files from the screen recorder.

Thanks I did that and also located a tmp file under appdata>roaming>cyberlink >dskcapture>temp It has the right timing and is large enough to be the recording that was made. I have asked support but wondered if anyone knew how to transform the tmp file top something watchable?

Thanks,
Chris
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hmmm. I tried starting a screen recording and then killing SP using Windows Task Manager, but the temporary file it created was in the expected output folder and had the full file name and .MP4 extension.

Nothing ever appeared in the Temp folder you referenced, but that might have been because I'd changed the Export folder from the Preferences (gear icon) | File screen.

The bad news is that even though video file was apparently ready to go, VLC wasn't able to play it at all - so my thought of simply changing the file extension to .MP4 probably won't help you.

A quick internet search for "repair MOV clips" brings up plenty of hits for apps that promise to fix them but I don't know how much I'd trust them. Anything you can find that would fix a broken header would likely be the way to go, and only you can decide if you're willing to pay to recover this damaged recording.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09. 2023 01:30

Chris_user2023 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hmmm. I tried starting a screen recording and then killing SP using Windows Task Manager, but the temporary file it created was in the expected output folder and had the full file name and .MP4 extension.

Nothing ever appeared in the Temp folder you referenced, but that might have been because I'd changed the Export folder from the Preferences (gear icon) | File screen.

The bad news is that even though video file was apparently ready to go, VLC wasn't able to play it at all - so my thought of simply changing the file extension to .MP4 probably won't help you.

A quick internet search for "repair MOV clips" brings up plenty of hits for apps that promise to fix them but I don't know how much I'd trust them. Anything you can find that would fix a broken header would likely be the way to go, and only you can decide if you're willing to pay to recover this damaged recording.

Thanks Optodata, chaning the extension was actually the first thing I had tried...lol, great minds thinking alike.

I'll search as suggested and see if anything looks safe to try.

Best regards,
Chris

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 09. 2023 09:32

Chris_user2023 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the update from support - bad news

Dear Chris,
Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.
We understand that you have accidentally clicked the "shut down computer" button after producing your project while still recording your screen. We are more than willing to assist you.
With a reference to your concern, the files in the provided screenshot are temporary files generated by Screen Recorder. However, we are afraid that they cannot be saved or generate them into actual video files.
We are sorry if there are any inconveniences that this may have caused.