Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How To Change The File Location In PowerDirector?
Seggons [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2023 04:47 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector Version:11.3.0
Build Number: 1214060
Phone: Samsung Galaxy A71
Andriod Version: 13

Good morning everyone. I've been using PowerDirector for a small period and am really enjoying how powerful it is for something that works on a phone and even paid for the full version.

I've been finding a few little niggles with the app but this one is a big one for me. My work flow is the following. Record videos using multiple cameras, back up the data onto an external hard drive which is between 30 to 60 GB. Put the files onto a micro SD card, pop that into my phone and edit.

The other day I needed to go back into a project on PowerDirector to make a few tweaks to the video. So I loaded up a micro SD card with the files and put it back into my phone and got greeted with the following error...

The ones under /storage/emulated/ were easily fixed as I put those files back into either the download section of my phone or the quick share folder and they reappeared on the timeline in PowerDirector.

The ones from the micro SD card on the other hand I could not get to appear. These are the things that I tried:

I put the video files stright onto the SD card with no folders. That didn't work.
I put the video files into a folder called DCIM. That didn't work.
I made a folder called 40C2-11E9 and then made a folder in that called DCIM and put the video files inside. That didn't work.
I formatted the micro SD card and called it 40C2-11E9 and then tried the above things again. That didn't work.

I'm guessing that when an SD card is inserted into a Andriod phone, it gets given a unique virtual name, in this case, 40C2-11E9. Then once the card is ejected and then reinserted, it gets given another unique name?

The only way I managed to "fix" it was to connect my phone to a windows computer, find the project file, open it in notepad, edit every pathfile line to point to downloads on my phone rather than the micro SD card, put all the files into the download section of my phone AND THEN it would work.

Now to my question. Is there anyway to point PowerDirector to a new place where the files are stored? When I used Sony Vegas in the past, if it found missing files it would give you the option to show it where the new folder was that had the files in and I'm guessing it would check to make sure the filenames in the new folder matched what it had in it's timeline.

I know that PowerDirector gives the option to replace the file but that isn't much good if you don't know the exact place in the video file that you've used. What I'd like to see is a button next to the replace one that is labelled "relocate". You then select the file in it's new location and PowerDirector changes the filepath itself. Then if it's being really smart, it then scans the folder to see if any of the other video files are contained within it as some of my projects have close to 100 cuts to it so sourcing every individual file could be very very time consuming.

Sorry for the ultra long message, I just wanted to get in as much detail as I could as this issue could make or break me continuing to use PowerDirector as this error is going to affect most of my previous projects.

Thanks.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

I'm guessing that when an SD card is inserted into a Andriod phone, it gets given a unique virtual name, in this case, 40C2-11E9. Then once the card is ejected and then reinserted, it gets given another unique name?

Hi,
I think you are basically correct!

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/189104/sd-card-gets-different-name-at-every-format
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-rename-my-external-sd-card.3358234/

As to how you overcome it, I'm not so sure. I've spent a bit of time checking a scenario out on my android but so far haven't been able to solve the issue. I'll keep trying but I suspect it may mean a major change in workflow so....??

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Seggons [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,
I think you are basically correct!

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/189104/sd-card-gets-different-name-at-every-format
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-rename-my-external-sd-card.3358234/

As to how you overcome it, I'm not so sure. I've spent a bit of time checking a scenario out on my android but so far haven't been able to solve the issue. I'll keep trying but I suspect it may mean a major change in workflow so....??

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thanks firstly for approving my post. Do the people that code the programs monitor this forum or is there anyway to elevate this issue to someone that deals with the app?

The issue I have is the video files are too big to put onto my phone, hence the storage space of the micro SD card.

I'm not a programmer but to me it doesn't seem like it would be massive amounts of work to either put a relocate button either here when you click details when it warns the user about missing files...

(That's just an example image)

Or more logically, here next to the replace button...

Once you click the relocate button it would then let you browse for the video file. If the filenames match what was in the project file to the file that has been found, it could then ask "Would you like PowerDirector to scan this location for other missing video files?"

Either that or could PowerDirector just ignore what the SD card is called so instead of looking in /storage/Unique_SD_Card_Name_Here/DCIM/etc/etc the program reads the SD card as /storage/DCIM/etc/etc ?

To me it just seems crazy that if you edit any projects off of an SD card on Andriod, the project is all but lost unless you have a way of editing the raw project file in a text editor that is fraught with danger if a single key stoke is wrong.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks firstly for approving my post. Do the people that code the programs monitor this forum or is there anyway to elevate this issue to someone that deals with the app?

The issue I have is the video files are too big to put onto my phone, hence the storage space of the micro SD card.

I'm not a programmer but to me it doesn't seem like it would be massive amounts of work to either put a relocate button either here when you click details when it warns the user about missing files...

(That's just an example image)

Or more logically, here next to the replace button...

Once you click the relocate button it would then let you browse for the video file. If the filenames match what was in the project file to the file that has been found, it could then ask "Would you like PowerDirector to scan this location for other missing video files?"

Either that or could PowerDirector just ignore what the SD card is called so instead of looking in /storage/Unique_SD_Card_Name_Here/DCIM/etc/etc the program reads the SD card as /storage/DCIM/etc/etc ?

To me it just seems crazy that if you edit any projects off of an SD card on Andriod, the project is all but lost unless you have a way of editing the raw project file in a text editor that is fraught with danger if a single key stoke is wrong.

Hi,
I've spent a while trying to come up with a workable process but have failed so far.
I can only suggest you use the FAQ and Send Feedback route under the Main Menu to get your ideas across to the right person.

Maybe another member has alternative suggestions for your problem!

Cheers
PowerDirectorModerator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Seggons [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,
I've spent a while trying to come up with a workable process but have failed so far.
I can only suggest you use the FAQ and Send Feedback route under the Main Menu to get your ideas across to the right person.

Maybe another member has alternative suggestions for your problem!

Cheers
PowerDirectorModerator

Thanks for taking the time to try and come up with a solution. After I posted my previous post I did send a message via the PowerDirector app with a link to this thread hoping that someone will look.

My potential workaround for now is that I've just purchased a USB-B to USB-C cable in the hope that I can connect my external hard drive direct to my phone and am waiting for it to be delivered. For some reason though, I feel like that plan isn't going to work but I will try.

If a developer does see this thread, if my suggestions either don't work or are not taken onboard may I suggest the following. That is to code in a warning into PowerDirector if someone tries to edit a video file that is on a micro SD card that is in their device. I have loads of projects that are all but lost because of this issue.