Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 20 just started crashing
MJBradley1967 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2022 19:43 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I've had PD20 on my computer since July 2022. I used versions 14 and 17 (IIRC) before that.

No major issues with PD20 until today. I opened a movie I wanted to get a clip from off of an external drive. It kept freezing up (blue circle, white screen unresponsiveness), then eventualy exited the program without warning or error message.

Thinking it might be too much for the app to work off an external drive, I copied the movie to my computer and tried again.

A few minutes in, usually around the point I am trying to make the second Split and delete the excess, it freezes momentarily and closes. The first time I'll get the message below, the next time(s), no message before it closes out.

I tried the patch the first time around with no luck, then uninstalled everything, deleted all folders and registry entries related to PD20 and reinstalled from scratch. No effect, same issue.

Dell Latitude 5501 Intel Core i7-9850H @2.6GHz 6 core/12 logical processors 64GB RAM
Win10x64 Pro 22H2 (10.0.19044 Build 19044)
PD version 20.0.2106.0 (64 Bit)
Version Type : Ultimate

Please let me know if there is a log file or anything I can add.
[Thumb - PowerDirector20 2b.jpg]
 Filename
PowerDirector20 2b.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD20 1b
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 07. 2023 15:06

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You did not state if the movie is a commercial copy copied or ripped from a disc. It may still have copy protection. You may be able to fix it by using a free video converter. You should then be able to use it in PD20 and edit it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 07. 2023 20:30

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Also the patch should have updated PD20 to build 2815, so if you're still seeing 2106 it didn't get applied.

Reboot your computer then try running the patch as an administrator (from the right-click menu in File Explorer) and see if you can at leat get PD20 updated before trying anything else.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 07. 2023 22:33

MJBradley1967 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2022 19:43 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You did not state if the movie is a commercial copy copied or ripped from a disc. It may still have copy protection. You may be able to fix it by using a free video converter. You should then be able to use it in PD20 and edit it.

Ripped from the blu-ray and I'm quite cerain I've pulled clips from it before this without issue. Any chance new or updated Dell or Intel drivers are causing this issue? They would be the only thing(s) that have changed. I may re-rip this BD just to see if there is a difference. I am going to convert the .avi to .mp4 and see what those results are.

Quote Also the patch should have updated PD20 to build 2815, so if you're still seeing 2106 it didn't get applied.

Reboot your computer then try running the patch as an administrator (from the right-click menu in File Explorer) and see if you can at leat get PD20 updated before trying anything else.

I had installed the patch to no avail before fully uninstalling and reinstalling the original build. Reinstalling is the old fallback after all.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 08. 2023 17:24