Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhotoDirector 365 missing overlay
Ray365 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 26, 2020 09:56 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am looking for an overlay that was on my software and now it isn't. I am hoping that someone might know if it is still available or is no longer available.

I call it a psychedelic overlay because of the way it looks. I used it once on a car body and it was awesome. I am including a screenshot from a youtube video to give you an idea of the one I am looking for. It is the one on the very bottom of the overlay options in the Grunge section.

I am hoping that it was recatagorized and is still an option.

Thanks in advance,
Ray365
[Thumb - psychedelic overlay.JPG]
 Filename
psychedelic overlay.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The screenshot you shared is from a Mac but you didn't say if that's what you're using or not.

If you're using Windows by chance, it's still in the Grunge section in the latest version of PhD365, but the overlays are under the Guided tab (then Decorations), and not in the Edit tab like in the screenshot:

Ray365 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I do use Windows. Sorry for not mentioning. I found the one you are talking about but it wasn't it. The closest one in the Grunge section is 14 rows down on the left. This one is close but not as pronounced or colorful as the one that used to be there. It gave the appearance of an oil sheen on water, Very cool. I suspect that it is no longer available.

Quote The screenshot you shared is from a Mac but you didn't say if that's what you're using or not.

If you're using Windows by chance, it's still in the Grunge section in the latest version of PhD365, but the overlays are under the Guided tab (then Decorations), and not in the Edit tab like in the screenshot:

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Ray -

I had a hunt on DZ to see whether that psychedelic oil slick overlay was there, but had no luck... I tried to find a way of creating a custom overlay in PhD, but had no luck.

So I did a "naughty" thing surprised I'm not suggesting you should do the same, but it may give you the result you're after.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Google image search for "oil slick pattern"

2. Select some and save as

3. Locate folder containing overlay effects at C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PhotoDirector14\PhotoDirector presets\Overlay

4. Crop (square) & resize oil slick images (1024x1024) to match images in "Grunge" subfolder

5. Make backup copy of Grunge subfolder (in case of error or regret)

6. Rename oil slick images to "01_grunge_multiply.jpg" etc to match images in Grunge folder

7. Replace (some) images in Grunge folder (5)

8. Open PhD & Voila!

I've attached 3 of the images I used, but they may not suit what you want.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - 02_grunge_multiply.jpg]
 Filename
02_grunge_multiply.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
933 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
[Thumb - 01_grunge_overlay.png]
 Filename
01_grunge_overlay.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1851 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
0 time(s)
[Thumb - 01_grunge_multiply.jpg]
 Filename
01_grunge_multiply.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
999 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
0 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Ray365 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,
Wow, that is exactly what I am looking for. Not necessiarly a workaround but certainly the result. Thank you so much for putting in so much effort.

Happy holiday,
Ray

Quote G'day Ray -

I had a hunt on DZ to see whether that psychedelic oil slick overlay was there, but had no luck... I tried to find a way of creating a custom overlay in PhD, but had no luck.

So I did a "naughty" thing surprised I'm not suggesting you should do the same, but it may give you the result you're after.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Google image search for "oil slick pattern"

2. Select some and save as

3. Locate folder containing overlay effects at C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PhotoDirector14\PhotoDirector presets\Overlay

4. Crop (square) & resize oil slick images (1024x1024) to match images in "Grunge" subfolder

5. Make backup copy of Grunge subfolder (in case of error or regret)

6. Rename oil slick images to "01_grunge_multiply.jpg" etc to match images in Grunge folder

7. Replace (some) images in Grunge folder (5)

8. Open PhD & Voila!

I've attached 3 of the images I used, but they may not suit what you want.

Cheers - Tony