Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector not working from China (and Singapore)
viness [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2022 08:36 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I just tried to use PowerDirector for Mac in China, but it seems that for some reason the download speed is close to nothing here. I first tried downloading the application manager (23 MB), which took like an hour and needed to be updated directly, which took the whole night.

In the morning it was updated an I tried to download PowerDirector 365 via the application manager, but after more than 2 hours it was still at 0%. Yesterday I already tried to download the application without the application manager with a similar result (4 MB after a few hours). So I gave up, decided to go without the sweet 25% off deal from the website and download the application from the App Store, which took like 5 minutes tops. With this version I cannot use my already bought license, but anyway - at least I can refund it within 30 days. So I bought the yearly membership in the app store just to find out that none of the resources within the app can be downloaded. None of the the transitions, none of the effects, nothing but the few pre-installed ones (well they can, but it takes like a million years to download them - my thunder overlay is at 44 % now after 20 minutes).

Has someone ever tried to use PowerDirector from China? Some ideas how it might work? Using a vpn is unfortunately not the answer (at least not to Singapore).
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just tried to use PowerDirector for Mac in China, but it seems that for some reason the download speed is close to nothing here. I first tried downloading the application manager (23 MB), which took like an hour and needed to be updated directly, which took the whole night.

In the morning it was updated an I tried to download PowerDirector 365 via the application manager, but after more than 2 hours it was still at 0%. Yesterday I already tried to download the application without the application manager with a similar result (4 MB after a few hours). So I gave up, decided to go without the sweet 25% off deal from the website and download the application from the App Store, which took like 5 minutes tops. With this version I cannot use my already bought license, but anyway - at least I can refund it within 30 days. So I bought the yearly membership in the app store just to find out that none of the resources within the app can be downloaded. None of the the transitions, none of the effects, nothing but the few pre-installed ones (well they can, but it takes like a million years to download them - my thunder overlay is at 44 % now after 20 minutes).

Has someone ever tried to use PowerDirector from China? Some ideas how it might work? Using a vpn is unfortunately not the answer (at least not to Singapore).

As far as I know, the GFW already beats VPN down even though lots of VPN services were able to re-route the browsing to many oversea services out of China previously.

The blocking of GFW changes dynamically from time to time, and the VPN connection is very unstable in China currently.

It might have nothing to do with the geo location of the VPN server you connected.
VPN is no longer a guarantee to work around the blocking of Internet connection.

To use those overseas subscription services, try some other GFW cracking ways like shadowsocks or v2ray.
viness [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2022 08:36 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

As far as I know, the GFW already beats VPN down even though lots of VPN services were able to re-route the browsing to many oversea services out of China previously.

The blocking of GFW changes dynamically from time to time, and the VPN connection is very unstable in China currently.

It might have nothing to do with the geo location of the VPN server you connected.
VPN is no longer a guarantee to work around the blocking of Internet connection.

To use those overseas subscription services, try some other GFW cracking ways like shadowsocks or v2ray.

Thanks for the quick reply. I find it really difficult to believe that a taiwanese company, which already has traditional and simplified Chinese supported in the software, does not offer some (mirror) servers with an appropriate download speed from China. The access is not blocked by the GFW, the download speed is just frustratingly slow.