Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using keyframes button or PIP to crop
BSMan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 17, 2021 13:37 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I have asked questions related to cropping before and been told that the cropping tool is a quick way to crop but is limited, whichI realized because the window that displays it does not allow expansion of the timeframe for placing keyframes, meaning that you cannot precisely place keyframes in longer clips. Suggestions were made that either the PIP designer or the keyframe button would provide a better way of cropping.

After many tries I cannot figure out way to set up a keyframe to crop an image using either one of these tools. It was suggested that there are tutorials about this, but I have been unable to find them.

Could someone provide the specific links to the tutorials about using PIP or the Keyframes button for cropping? Although I was able to accomplish the editing I needed to do using the crop/zoom tool, if there is a better way that provides additional options (like the keyframe tool would) I'd like to learn how to use it.

Thanks,
Bob
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have asked questions related to cropping before and been told that the cropping tool is a quick way to crop but is limited, whichI realized because the window that displays it does not allow expansion of the timeframe for placing keyframes, meaning that you cannot precisely place keyframes in longer clips. Suggestions were made that either the PIP designer or the keyframe button would provide a better way of cropping.

After many tries I cannot figure out way to set up a keyframe to crop an image using either one of these tools. It was suggested that there are tutorials about this, but I have been unable to find them.

Could someone provide the specific links to the tutorials about using PIP or the Keyframes button for cropping? Although I was able to accomplish the editing I needed to do using the crop/zoom tool, if there is a better way that provides additional options (like the keyframe tool would) I'd like to learn how to use it.

Thanks,
Bob

Yes, the other post was a little confusing as it appeared to imply the position and scale in PIP was the same as C/Z/P tool position and scale, which it is not. The crop aspect of C/Z/P tool is really a mask, so one uses the "Mask Designer" to do the cropping. There you can zoom in on the timeline to place keyframes as required to position and scale the mask on the video. The C/Z/P tool Z/P features are essentially the PIP Designer and adjusted there.

Play around, it's rather easy. Even if the timeline could expand on the C/Z/P tool, the distance between allowable keyframes is dependent on clip length and fps, so not real convenient on long clips as distance between keyframes could be several minutes.

Jeff