Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Select Subject - like Photoshop tool
Kipster [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2022 13:57 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Greetings,

I am an Adobe user, recently retired so I needed a cheaper, but equivilent product at home. Sadly, Cyberluink is just missing on soooo many of the primary work/professional features that's its been a real struggle.

Today's post is looking for an answer on a similar tool to Photoshop's "Select Subject" in PhotoDirector.

EVERYTHING I have read, watched, and tried over hours and hours yields NOTHING really useful other than a pen and tablet and painstakingly rough edged result we used to have to do in 1989 on an Amiga with Newtek's Video Toaster. Ugh.

I get better, faster results in my still active 1995 Corel Paint and Corel Draw 6 tools.

If ANYONE has an answer to accurately and quickly select sbjects in PhotoDirector, please comment.

Thanks
Forum Moderator [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2018 01:01 Messages: 578 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Which feature are you using?

Yes, PhotoDirector has a "select subject" option. It is called the "object segmentation tool". It is available in many windows. Here is the info of where it in the Edit window:

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/photodirector/14/pc/enu/08_06_02_select_area_tool.html

Cheers
PhotoDirector Moderator Please direct any sales or technical issues to CyberLink's customer support team:

Sales or installation related issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do

Software technical issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/sup
Kipster [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2022 13:57 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, but ah, no. That tool works like a bad toy. Even in my old Corel Paint 6 (1995) their tools have better control, tweaks and accuracy.

Ultimately, and prior to your reply, I did end up using that selection tool in PhotoD. But, there aren't even any tweaks to HOW it selects and it does it so poorly - that I ended up having to use the mouse and a tablet for over an hour+ to try and tweak the huge, as well as fine edges on a very selection friendly image....which also revealed how averaging those tools are as well.

Sadly, its not PhotoShop, and I get that. Even using the tablet while zoomed in, you can't dynamically scroll your image - at all, and there arent even any scroll bars!!!!????!!!!! You literally have to STOP working, click off that tool, select zoom and hand repositioning... and THEN go back into the selection tools where you have to RE-ELECT your settings because they reset on you each time. And - - - - if you happen to MISS the (+/ selection becasue you're concentrating on the effort at hand, wellllllllll - you get the point.

Anyway, I was just asking. I just didn't realize just how basic (averaging) all the tools in all the modules were from paint (shadows, outlines and glows), to audio and video. You cannot even copy image effects in PowerD from clip to clip. You literally have to write down settings (attributes) for each effect, then manually add those effects to EVERY CLIP, and THEN go in to set the attributess in every one of them!!!! And if you have 100 clips? Wow.

But even basic tools lack - for instance you can't even set preferences for SAVING to that of "Same As Project" much less increment your own frame grabs and with timecode. In the end, from my perspective and the more I try, the tools are just punk from a production standpoint, pretty much across the board. Fantastic for one-off for playtime, but not for serious producers.

So.... despite hopes for a less costly but useful product, I either have to live with it, or pay the price for better.

Again, thanks for your time.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks, but ah, no. That tool works like a bad toy. Even in my old Corel Paint 6 (1995) their tools have better control, tweaks and accuracy.

Ultimately, and prior to your reply, I did end up using that selection tool in PhotoD. But, there aren't even any tweaks to HOW it selects and it does it so poorly - that I ended up having to use the mouse and a tablet for over an hour+ to try and tweak the huge, as well as fine edges on a very selection friendly image....which also revealed how averaging those tools are as well.

Sadly, its not PhotoShop, and I get that. Even using the tablet while zoomed in, you can't dynamically scroll your image - at all, and there arent even any scroll bars!!!!????!!!!! You literally have to STOP working, click off that tool, select zoom and hand repositioning... and THEN go back into the selection tools where you have to RE-ELECT your settings because they reset on you each time. And - - - - if you happen to MISS the (+/ selection becasue you're concentrating on the effort at hand, wellllllllll - you get the point.

Anyway, I was just asking. I just didn't realize just how basic (averaging) all the tools in all the modules were from paint (shadows, outlines and glows), to audio and video. You cannot even copy image effects in PowerD from clip to clip. You literally have to write down settings (attributes) for each effect, then manually add those effects to EVERY CLIP, and THEN go in to set the attributess in every one of them!!!! And if you have 100 clips? Wow.

But even basic tools lack - for instance you can't even set preferences for SAVING to that of "Same As Project" much less increment your own frame grabs and with timecode. In the end, from my perspective and the more I try, the tools are just punk from a production standpoint, pretty much across the board. Fantastic for one-off for playtime, but not for serious producers.

So.... despite hopes for a less costly but useful product, I either have to live with it, or pay the price for better.

Again, thanks for your time.

It seems you hate photodirector or cyberlink solutions pretty much.

What I understood that photodirector is not "photoshop" at all but more like lightroom.
Yep, Cyberlink does and add some layer editing features in it to have some advantages that you might take in other photo creation tools.

It's fine to use it like photoshop or corel paint or coreldraw (but no vector editing), but it is still not photoshop or paint as what you've just realized.

For the zoom and select control, the following steps might help you not to close the selection tool, but still sble to adjust zooming or pan the preview on the canvas freely.

Just click the [Hand] button (it is located by the zoom option on the preview control bar) on top of the canvas in the Edit room.
When the [Hand] is enabled, you can pan the preview area on zoomed image. Click the button again can disable the panning mode.

The select area tool would keep its status at all time when you are panning or zooming the preview to check your selection.

By the way, I always use ctrl + mouse wheel combination to zoom in/out the preview, but never select the zooming via the zoom dropdown option. The hotkey is more convenient to contorl the zooming.

It always takes certain time to learn new editing tools, but you can absolutely hate all the design that not act like your favorite corel or adobe software. However, you might have no second choice now and ever if you keeps thinking that way that other software that does not act like corel or adobe solution is soooooooo not professional.

In fact, in the professional domain, if you don't use adobe solution or corel solution (coreldraw for vector image), you cannot even do business with others. It will be another story.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2022 22:58