Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
not as advertised(cyberlink 5)
harry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2010 19:02 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
every time i try to make a recording from vhs to dvd im stopped dead in my tracks due to the this recording is copyright protected message. from a home made video cassette. please. i must state here and now my utter disgust and disappointment with this product. it is not what i expected it to be. i initially bought it to transfer a number of movies(which i bought legitimately) from vhs format to dvd. what a letdown to find im not able to use this useless piece of trash of a program which i also paid good money for. if one cannot use this to copy movies (copyright protected or otherwise) it should be stated clearly and very noticeably on the product packaging. this way the unsuspecting consumer will be financially protected. the other dilemma im facing is that a lot of these movies are older and in many cases i could not purchase them on dvd if i so wished. i tried to transfer my daughters wedding video to dvd. same result. same message. whats up with that? this product sucks as far as im concerned and how "Cyberlink" have the nerve to put out this product trumpeting all the bells and whistles and it doesnt perform worth a cuss. i am not a happy camper and and i would like to state here and now that this is going back for a refund.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
PD is not designed to circumvent copyright protection. It is illegal in the US (and likely other parts of the world) and Cyberlink would be setting themselves up for a lawsuit if they included the ability to copy copyright video. Regardless, even if you are trying to copy a VHS tape which you recorded yourself with your own camera it is difficult to transfer analog video due to audio sync issues. You would need transfer in small chunks and piece them together at the end.

You also have to remember the PD5 is currently 3 generations old. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
harry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 09, 2010 19:02 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
thank you for your response. i still maintain that this is an inferior product as it touts the ability to transfer vhs to dvd but does not in my view deliver what it states. one other point i would like to comment on is the fact that the forum is filled with pages and pages of people posting issues which seek resolving. that to me sir does not indicate that it is a very stable program regardless if it is version 1, 5, 8, or 58. i still stand by my statement of being utterly disgusted and disappointed and will not in the future purchase any "Cyberlink" software as this has been somewhat of a great inconvenience and a very negative experience and would not recommend it to any one i know. thank you for your time. over and out for the last time.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
one other point i would like to comment on is the fact that the forum is filled with pages and pages of people posting issues which seek resolving. that to me sir does not indicate that it is a very stable program regardless if it is version 1, 5, 8, or 58.

This made me think of my Dishwasher story.
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Harry,

You won't find any other legitimate video editing software on the market that will edit copy protected videos, so as far as you are concerned they will all be useless pieces of trash.
PDR8 can import from VHS tapes, but you will need the additional hardware to do it, but as James has correctly pointed out, there will be issues with analogue/digital conversion, so again all the other programs available will also be useless pieces of trash.
You are also talking about a version of PowerDirector that is 4 years old, the current version PDR8 is far more advanced in capabilities, perhaps you should download the trial version and give it a try, you still won't be able to edit copy protected material, because it is illegal to do so.
PDR8 is a very stable program, most issues are caused by users trying to do things that their computer is just not capable of doing, video editing requires very high end computer specifications to edit successfully, especially if you are editing HD files.

I also have Adobe products which have many more issues than PowerDirector, just look on the Adobe forums

Anyway good luck in your endeavours to find a suitable program and don't hurry back as no one on this forum will miss you.

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 11. 2010 21:48

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Cyberlink 5? who use it?
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I expected to get a reply from the original poster, but I'm amazed how many users look at forum for the vintage versions of PD. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT