Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Playback freeze and system unresponsiveness
Trey [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 03, 2010 16:40 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having a playback freeze and system unresponsiveness issue requiring a power cycle with PowerDVD. The system is responsive enough for me to load task manager, but each click to get to that point takes several minutes to process. Once task manager is loaded I see that PowerDVD has consumed an order of magnitude more memory than any other process (330MB vs ~20MB. The Blu-Ray movie I'm viewing plays perfectly fine for a few minutes, but then the image freezes and no more audio is heard. It takes an inordinate amount of time for the system to respond to any navigation commands with the mouse and keyboard, and killing the PowerDVD (watched through Windows Media Center) seems impossible. It usually is faster to simply shutdown the computer via the power button and restart it rather than try to salvage the Windows session.

PowerDVD full Version: 10.0.1705.51
PowerDVD SR Number: DVD100510-04
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x86 (32bit)
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW? Retail trial
Used VGA: nVidia GeForce 8200
Used VGA driver version: 185.85
Used Audio device: Onboard Realtek High Definition Audio (not sure chipset)
Used Audio device driver version: 6.0.1.5898
Which kind of display connection: HDMI
Monitor environment: Single Monitor (Samsung LCD HDTV supporting up to 1080p)
Antivirus Software: Kaspersky Internet Security

My next step will be to try to play the DVD outside of WMC, it could be the plugin is experiencing problems.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

please update your drivers to latest version as first step.

please try to disable all start up services uing MSCONFIG and try if this issue happens again.

Your issue looks like an platform issue!

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Trey [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 03, 2010 16:40 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I updated my video drivers to the latest and got the same results. I installed Corel WinDVD and got no such problems. I will not be purchasing PowerDVD. Ever.
Peppino [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 26, 2010 17:39 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
That happens to me too occassionally on my Windows 74 64-bit Ultimate. Windows stays running fine but PowerDVD 10 gets unresponsive then freezes.

Sometimes all I have to do to fix the problem is restart PowerDVD. Other times I have to open the Task Manager and kill:
PDVD10Serv.exe "32
PowerDVD10.exe "32
PowerDVDCoxl0.exe "32

Very annoying.

I even updated my NVIDIA 8800 GT drivers to version 197.45 but it did not make a difference.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 04. 2010 22:58