Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview hangs
[Post New]
I am having exactly the same problem as Andy here -

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10805.page

It seems he never got a satisfactory answer but I have sent him a PM to find out.

Does anyone know what causes this to happen with HD material. My timeline is just over 5 mins and the problem started to show up at transitions. Then the video just jams and you can still hear the audio carrying on. Then you press the pause button and it takes 10 secs for it to change back to the play button just the same as Andy above. What could it be that Andy and I have in common that makes PD8 not work properly?

I have Intel i7-920 with Nvidia GeForce GTX 260.

Thanks,

Phil

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 18. 2010 06:39

Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil -

Yes - odd, given that both systems appear to be more than adequate for the task.

My GPU is GTX260 also, & we have not dissimilar systems (8GB RAM).

The only time I get that is on major (for me) projects when the are bulk PiP tracks operating.

What's the source of the clips?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Tony,

Hi there. I shot the video on Sanyo Xacti VPC-FH1 in full HD 1080 P.

As with Andy, it seemed to be running ok and then stopped at a transition. After that it just would not run properly at all even minimizing down to the bottom at times.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 18. 2010 06:43

Phil

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

[Post New]
It really doesn't matter any more because I just can't get PD8 to open at all now!

I've just upgraded to PD8. I've just bought a new HD camcorder.

I've only created one 5 minute movie using HD and it hangs.

Now I can't even open PD8.

This really, really is just not good enough.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2010 05:04

Phil

PD14 Ultra

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,
I'm concerned about the problem you're facing.

I'm not certain at this stage what assistance I can give.

OK, opening PD a second time, after a crash may reveal the program is still running in the background and the task manager would then be needed to stop/close PD and it's peripheral program.

1. images of the task manager/tabs would be useful.

2. the standard response from support would be to uninstall- reinstall PD - see PArt C of the guides below.

3. Do you have shadow edit files operating on your system?

4. Can you attach a full diagnostic please Part B of the guides?

5. I have a Sanyo, I presume the file format is *.mp4. I also shoot in 1080p. What's the frame rate selection you have chosen, 30 or 60fps?

Dafydd

You can not pinpoint the issue BUT you can give more detail of content and provide a visual image as well as a diagnostic of your set up. Please note that 3 (x100kb) images/files can be attached to your reply.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A - name it
PART B - provide it
PART F - use them
PART E - an alternative
PART D - presentation is important
PART C
[Post New]
Dafydd,

Thanks for your help.

I was too daunted by your questions/suggestions so this is what I tried -

1. I still had the two icons on the desktop for PD8 for installation so I tried installing it again. It worked. Don't ask me how - I don't have any idea.

2. Then I tried opening PD8 from the desktop quick launch icon - no good.

3. Then I tried opening from the All Programs list - it worked. PD8 opened.

4. Then I tried adding the PDS file I had previously created and saved using PD8 in My Videos file but you can't see that in the window as it shows only manilla folders.

5. Then I went back to the actual My Videos file and clicked on the PDS file of the previous video I had created on the timeline before PD8 went AWOL. Bingo! It opened in PD8!

6. Then I tried previewing the movie but it stopped at the first transition so, on a hunch, and completely at my wits end I doubled the size of the transition from 2 secs to 4 secs. Bingo, it worked! After some more trial and error I changed all the transitions from 2 to 4 secs and it worked ok.

7. Then I added a couple of more small titles in the middle of the movie and tried the preview again. It stuck on the transitions again!!!!! but kept playing the audio as if the movie was playing properly. Now I am at my wits end because I am certainly not going to change all the transitions to 8 secs.

Also noticeable in the movie is some sawtooth distortion that definitely was not there before the crash. It was perfectly ok then.

Anyway I will try to burn to disc and see what it comes out like and will report back again.

I certainly hope I can get this fixed because it is just a nightmare for me at present.
I am supposed to be doing this small project for a friend but it should surely be slightly easier than this.

Phil

PD14 Ultra

[Post New]
It burnt perfectly ok! No signs of any sawtooth distortion.
All the shots were taken inside at night.

So the problem seems to be the software or the hardware. Phil

PD14 Ultra

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil -

I very much doubt that your hardware is the issue. It's certainly up to the task.

To get a diagnostic report, as Dafydd suggested, just go to Start > Run & type dxdiag. Hit Enter & the report will be generated.

You can post the results here.

There's something interfering with PD running smoothly... we can find it, but it needs a bit of diagnosis. Why don't we start with that dxdiag & go from there?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Tony,

How do I post the dxdiag report? There seems to be pages of it. Phil

PD14 Ultra

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is the fifth time I've tried to write a reply to you.

I think I'll wait until you attach the diagnostic and followed the instructions.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page
Look up the guides here.

Dafydd

Here's an option you should seriously consider: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10865.page

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 20. 2010 10:56

[Post New]
I'll try again to attach dxdiag compressed file.
 Filename
DxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
422 bytes
 Downloaded:
305 time(s)
Phil

PD14 Ultra

[Post New]
Trying again
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
277 time(s)
Phil

PD14 Ultra

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Phil,
Your spec appears ok.

I'm concerned you haven't provided any screenshots for us to interpret what you're viewing for ourselves - without that we're all going to just start pulling our hair out. We need those screenshots.

Your shortcut - that could be an address issue - right click on the link and check it yourself.

As to the transition bits... WE need the images and the information on the video files you're using.

The description you gave of the video "some sawtooth distortion" is likely to be interlaced footage.

1. Screenshots - loads of them.
2. Use Media Info to give us the data on the video: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Dafydd
[Post New]
I hope that was ok.

Anyway I've since tried out some other tests.

On the first I played a small 1 minute video with two scenes and two Fade transitions - one at the beginning and the other inbetween the two scenes.

It played and played several times with no real problem except a small momentary hang just on the line where the middle Fade finishes.

On the second it was an 11 minute video with numerous scenes all joined by Fades. I played it several times with no problems at all.
Then I decided to shorten one scene where it began with a whiteout. After I shortened the scene it just played up the same as my original problem. It just will not play wherever you put the cursor and it has the 10 second delay before you can use the start/stop etc control again. Completely unuseable.

So I then went back to the original 5 min problem video and it played all the way through with no problem! Can you believe it!?
Then I started it again and used fast fwd to just before the first transition and then changed to play the normal speed - it hung at the transition!!! Several retries and it is just like it was before. No good.

What is happening here?

Well it sure does look like ANY slight alteration/adjustment has a devastating effect. It sure looks like the programme is unstable to me. Phil

PD14 Ultra

[Post New]
Ok I'm back again.

Was the dxdiag I sent of any use?

I have opened up PD8 twice tonight with the same 5 min video and twice it has "crashed" without it actually being worked on. It just crashed now while I am writing this!

OK, back to the problem. I clicked on PD and it told me this - "PD Deluxe" 8.00.274 (Shouldn't it be ultra? The Disc I have says "Upgrade to PD 8 Ultra...) .

SR No VDE091014-01

Is that of any help?

I also turned off shadow files but they were only turnned on AFTER all the problems I was experiencing before. A box came up and I switched them on but then saw your instructions to switch them off so did so.

I don't know how to do screen shots or screenshots of what exactly. Can you pls advise?

Phil

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 28. 2010 08:24

Phil

PD14 Ultra

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Phil,
I cant do anything till Monday but I think you should run a full build and not the upgrade.

Can you send me your purchase details please, Order number, email address and full name. Ok, I know I have some of those already but you'll help me a lot by giving everything to me again.

Dafydd
[Post New]
Andy (see top post for link) has just replied to my PM and confirms he still has the exact same problem as me.

He has Windows 7 and I have Vista.

I have just uninstalled PD and installed new software but still have the same problem - preview hangs at transitions.

Still waiting for a solution please.

Thanks. Phil

PD14 Ultra

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Phil,
I have emailed you and the last one was yesterday.

Technical Support. https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do perhaps you should make direct contact yourself. They will ask you to carry out actions etc which might assist you.

I have suggested to you to 1st June:
Please supply a diagnostic file and do a complete uninstall re-install of PD.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
Guides PART B and PART C or you can follow the fuller guide (please do that) below. You'll need PART P, to clean up your system.

I. Reboot PC.

Before carrying out part II please ensure you have ...... Go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Select "Show hidden files and
folders"

II. Install Microsoft cleanup tool and clean PowerDirector installation information Install Microsoft cleanup tool and execute from "Start\all
programs\WindowsInstaller Cleanup" To check if PowerDirector is on product list, If you can see PowerDirector in product list. Select
PowerDirector and click "Remove" button to clean up PowerDirector.
Microsoft cleanup tool: PART P

III. Remove PowerDirector folder and clean up PowerDirector Registry
Please try the following steps.
1. Remove C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector folder
2. Remove C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1} folder
3. Run regedit (Start --> Run --> type "regedit" )
(1) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector
(2) Remove
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}
(3) Remove
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{CB099890-
1D5F-11D5-9EA9-0050BAE317E1}
(4) Remove
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{CB099890-1D5F-11D5-9EA9-
0050BAE317E1}

Dafydd