Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need recommendation for new PC
Danilowitsch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2006 01:10 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I have to replace my old PC. I found many Topics in this forum about graphics cards etc. But the more I read, the more I become confused!
So maybe, somebody can answer my questions:
I am using PD8 to edit HD-movies.
Is there a difference in rendering speed if I buy Intel i5, i7 or AMD Phenom II? I don't know if PD8 is supporting Hyper threading technlogy. Is it really worth to buy Intel i7?
My other question is about the graphics card: Ati cards support the Ati stream technology. Nvidia cards support the Cuda technology.

Did anybody try PD8 on different PC systems?

Thank you very much for your help!
[Post New]
How much to spend? Theres a question we all hate.
You might want to look at the newly released 6 cores from AMD.
They have great reviews for video editing and are priced RIGHT!

http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x6-1055t-1090t-review
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-crosshair-iv-formula-review

These look like a great setup.

Couple that with a 5870 and 8 gig of ram............ sorry drolling down my chin!
And YES PD8 supports hardware acceleration.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page

Take a look.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
For HD editing I would suggest nothing less than a quad core CPU. AMD's new hexacore Phenom II CPU looks nice and it comes much cheaper than Intel's new hexacore CPU (High performance for 30% the cost). If you decide to go with Intel I would get the i7. PD8 takes advantage of hyperthreading so that makes it worthwhile over an i5. AMD's original Phenom II lags behind the i7, but it's not a bad processor.

For a video card I would suggest AMD (ATI) in the high 4000 or 5000 series. ATI stream can accelerate the rendering of MPEG2 and AVCHD while NVidia can only accelerate AVCHD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2010 07:38

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: For HD editing I would suggest nothing less than a quad core CPU. AMD's new hexacore Phenom II CPU looks nice and it comes much cheaper than Intel's new hexacore CPU (High performance for 30% the cost). If you decide to go with Intel I would get the i7. PD8 takes advantage of hyperthreading so that makes it worthwhile over an i5. AMD's original Phenom II lags behind the i7, but it's not a bad processor.

For a video card I would suggest AMD (ATI) in the high 4000 or 5000 series. ATI stream can accelerate the rendering of MPEG2 and AVCHD while NVidia can only accelerate AVCHD.

James nailed it. The i7 is king but costs the most.

Also, PD8 appears to now support WMV hardware accelerated encoding for WMV 9 formats when an ATI card is used, too. This is a common Youtube format and is also used by PD8 for automatic Youtube uploads.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2010 14:20

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.