Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AVCHD editing - Has it improved?
Aeropars [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2010 15:33 Messages: 65 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

A while back i demo'ed PD 8 and came across problems when trying to author AVCHD files for playback on a Bluray player.

I had a well documented problem on this forum and I attempted to fix the issues in the same way another user did with sony vegas. While this made the problem get better it did have some other side effects (i.e. audio/video sync issues after 40 minutes in. This is also visable during the edit when you play back the timeline.)

I was wondering if there has been any developments in making AVCHD easier to author without problem in the latest version?

I have a 3ghz quad core with 4gb ram, windows 7 x64 OS and a geforce 8800 GPU

Cheers

P.S. My previous thread was here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9666.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2010 06:50

orygunz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 25, 2010 21:04 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
You have a fairly impressive system for video editing.
Why only 4 gigs of Ram? You need 4-6 more gigs, especially when editing avchd with PowerDirector 8 and Windows 7 x64.
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 24. 2010 13:53

Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply. I dont have any more ram because of the memory configuration of 4 x 1 gb chips.

THe physical memory does not go over 2.4 gb while rendering so adding more pysical memory is immaterial.
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lee,

Why only 4 gigs of Ram? You need 4-6 more gigs, especially when editing avchd with PowerDirector 8 and Windows 7 x64

I don't agree with that comment, although my 64 bit system has shown physical memory usage of 4.5gb at it's highest with PD8!

The best advice I can give you on this issue is to have a go and see for yourself. Certainly the latest build has proved the most stable when editing AVCHD that I've found, but that is me!

Cheers,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2010 18:52

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm a it confused in ahll honesty. Some people say my spec is not good enough for editing while others say it is fine.

The way I see it is that my spec is ample however it might take longer to process.

Anyone have any thoughts on the quirk I experienced with the audio/video out of sync towards the end of a project?
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
I agree, your spec is ideal as far as I can see!

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Your computer is better than mine and I have no trouble editing AVCHD at 24 Mb/s 1920x1080i. Over the past few releases editing of Canon AVCHD and smart rendering in particular have improved greatly. I would download the trial again and give it a shot with your camera. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
orygunz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 25, 2010 21:04 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Lee:
You might find with your system, that if you had more memory, your system would use more of that memory.
I'm sure you'll get by with it but 4 gigs is not proportionate to the rest of your system which as I said, is impressive being a 3.0 quadcore. If you had a smaller rig like some of the others around here I probably wouldn't have mentioned it.
Powerdirector will use more than 4 gigs it just depends what your doing and how capable your computer is.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I downloaded and installed the latest tiral and the problem still exists. I used the same save file from last time (so i suppose the problem could be in there). I will have to remove and add a few clips in it to find out. Its really odd though because the problem only happens 40 minutes or so in. At the start its fine and well into the movie its fine as well.

Im all honesty, I doubt its the memory. When rendering i dont go over 2.5 gb. VMware on this machine will take the whole lot if I let it so I would expect PD to do the same if it needs it. After doing the 2gb file change it took more memory than it did initially. Either way, changing the memory is not an option. All slots are taken and I cant really afford to get more at this time.

MY system is quite old. Its not an I7 or anything its a Q6600 @ 3ghz if i rember rightly.

Really frustrating as I spent a week solid on this project and if it worked correctly i was going to buy the product. As it stands i'm downscaling all HD to normal DVD quality If i can get this working as it should on this one production i'll happily buy the product and be a convert!