Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 10 Ultra does not recognise any Bluray discs
JohnnyW [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 24, 2010 16:52 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD9 Ultra worked ok. Just upgraded to PowerDVD10 Ultra but...

PowerDVD10 Ultra does not recognise any Bluray discs... "No disc in drive".

Shameful.

I have logged a ticket with Cyberlink.

If you are effected by this, please post below.
David_H [Avatar]
Member Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mark,

The most common problem for new users of PowerDVD 10 is probably driver incompatibility. If you haven't kept your video and audio drivers up to date, then that may be the source of the trouble. I'd also include blu-ray drive firmware in that.

It is fairly common for a complex new audio/video program like PowerDVD 10 to require the latest drivers. The fact that your old version of the program works fine, has no bearing on this.

Your issue may not involve drivers---I don't know. But the fact that an older version of PowerDVD runs and the new one won't is not "shameful"---it is the way computers have been "forever" with some types of programs. When you consider the things that PowerDVD 10 tries to do---especially with 3D---you can easily understand why it may not work unless the computer is up-to-date (even if you do not plan to use 3D).

Kind regards, David
Phillip [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2010 18:51 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I thought it was just me it didn't work with. But after reading some of the posts here I see the product has almost as many problems as the product service itself. How long before Cyberlink starts losing business partners so they won't be associated with all these problems. It would be good business sense to start fixing things before Cyberlink becomes the next Toyota.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I have both Power DVD 9 and Power DVD 10 and they have performed perfectly from the day they were installed. If Power DVD is considered faulty by some....then explain to me why it works on my system and not on someone elses if Power DVD is indeed faulty? I tend to agree with what David pointed out....drivers...... video, audio and firmware should be current. Mine are current.

But don't assume that the only variable for successful operation of Power DVD is drivers and firmware . Lets take at look at your particular hardware configuration and the infinite amount of software variations that are on peoples systems. Do you think that has some impact on whether the program runs properly? I believe it does have an impact.

And I think you have to put product forums like this in perspective. Most people don't tend to search out a forum to report that everything is working well and they are thrilled with the way it performs. Forums tend to be populated by those that are experiencing problems, that is the nature of the beast. I wouldn't evaluate the performance of a product by relying only on the forum for all my information.

And then you have the folks that wish they had just bought a Blue Ray player instead of a software solution....Has anyone bothered to look at some of their forums???...I won't mention any specific manufacturers....but they are having significant activity in the forums..."Why won't it play this Blue Ray title?" "My blue ray disc won't load!" "The playback is jumpy and stuttery!" the list is very similar to this forum. Interesting....

Why am I on this forum? I have lots of Cyberlink products on my system...I Love Power Director for video editing. I enjoy helping people get through the tough times trying to learn something new. It's time well spent in my opinion....I Learn by helping others.

Just a thought from the audience, and by the way I drive a Toyota

Kevin

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Apr 17. 2010 22:56

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
JohnnyW [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 24, 2010 16:52 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, Kevin and David for taking time to add your valid comments. It is good to hear you have not had issues. My environment is as follows:

Intel DP35DP ATX board / Intel Quad Q6600 2.4GHz / 4GB RAM
Nvidia 9600GT (latest driver)
Pioneer BDC-S02 Bluray/DVD drive (latest firmware)
Windows 7 32 bit (latest updates)
Microsoft Security Essentials AV

I only use the PC for Bluray playback. Windows Media Centre is also configured but rarely used. I have a pretty "vanilla", and completely up to date system which is why I made the "shameful" remark. Nothing else has changed between me using PDVD9 sucessfully and upgrading to PDVD10. Therefore, the logical assumption is that Cyberlink has modified code in PDVD10 that results in this issue of their software not "seeing" Bluray discs.

Interestingly I have just installed AnyDVD and now PowerDVD10 will recognise Bluray disks. Of course, I should not need to (and prefer not to) use AnyDVD. My system is fully DHCP compliant, confirmed by Cyberlinks own compatibility tool.
David_H [Avatar]
Member Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ... It is good to hear you have not had issues. ... Interestingly I have just installed AnyDVD and now PowerDVD10 will recognise Bluray disks. ...

Hi Mark,

Actually, I have had issues. I have a lot of movies on blu-ray and PowerDVD 10 Ultra croaked on one of them: District 9. (District 9 is a "hybrid" blu-ray disc with both the HD movie and a PS3 game.) I would get an invalid disc error from PowerDVD 10 Ultra whenever I tried to play the District 9 movie. AnyDVD HD fixed the issue for me as well.

Other users of PowerDVD 10 Ultra reported that they were able to use the Disctrict 9 blu-ray. So the problem seemed to be unique to my system.

I boiled it down to two possible causes: a Windows XP problem (my entertainment computer uses XP Media Center Edition) or the age of my blu-ray drive (a Sony BWUK-100A). My blu-ray drive has the latest firmware, too, (1.0f) but it has been well over a year since Sony updated it. This may be because it is one of their early drives and they may not support it as well as they used to.

Because AnyDVD HD fixed the problem for me, I'm tending to think the problem was the Sony firmware---it probably doesn't support the security features of the District 9 disc and, by disabling them, AnyDVD HD removed the problem.

Your issue sounds like a driver issue to me. One problem that I've run into is that you often need to remove an old driver before you install a new one. For example, some of the NVidia drivers will let you install them on top of an older version. But most of the time you need to remove the old one first. If you don't do this, you may still have some old system files in your computer that muck things up. And a program like PowerDVD 10 seems to be very sensitive to driver issues.

Kind regards, David

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2010 17:54