Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 9 Ultra video freeze and audio issue
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jul 11, 2007 14:21 Messages: 276 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD 9 Version 9.0.2528.51
DVD091203-02
Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
Retail
NvIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
197.45_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC (Intel DP45SG motherboard onboard audio)
•8-channel (7.1) audio subsystem with five analog audio outputs and one optical S/PDIF digital audio output using the IDT 92HD73E audio codec
AUD_ALLOS_6224.3_PV_IDTGUI_V182
HDMI (DVI to HDMI adapter)
Single
Not using two or more displays
no antivirus software

Yes I keep on plugging away at my issues because I can't believe my quad core is not powerful enough to play back a movie without issues.

I can hook a PS3 up with the same SPDIF optical cable to the same AVR and the HDMI cable to the same TV input and it plays every movie i toss at it flawless!

Fresh install of windows 7 64 bit enterprise with a fresh install of PowerDVD 9 Ultra 1501 and then updated to 2528 release.

Pop in a blu ray and it will will freeze the video in random spots but the audio will keep going. If it is a short freeze the video will go into fast forward mode and tries to sync up with the audio. If the video freeze is long enough the audio will stop and the system will start a new video playback from where the audio seemed to stop.

These freezes are totally random and never in the same spots. It can even effect the playback of the opening previews which are not always full HD with full HD audio!

I thought i would play smarter it was time to bypass HDCP on the HDMI.

Hooked up component cables to the TV and disconected the HDMI cable. Configured the computer for component ouput. Sorry the blu ray can not play over this connection! Ok well that shoots that idea so next test.

Hooked up VGA to the VGA input on the TV. This TV actually supports 1280x720 for a nice 720p input.Start up the blu ray and things are looking good. I know better and i try to pay attention and wait for it since it is random. It still happens even on DVI-VGA connection! In theory this should rule out the fact my TV is not HDCP compliant enough. Even the Fact the PS3 uses the same HDCP and works!

This leads me to believe there is a problem with powerdvd decoding the copy protection on the blu ray or some other failure with powerdvd.

I have multiple WTV media center ATSC recordings up to 1080i quality with AC3 surround that never glitch ever when using the standard media center interface.

I can pop a DVD into the media center interface and use the built in DVD playback (NOT POWERDVD) and get perfect playback with it also.

I do not understand enough about how PowerDVD works but a core 2 quad should be overkill for even blu ray playback.

Where is the problem?
Is my IDT high definition audio codec the problem? Can i only get perfect playback on the listed audio HD hardware for powerdvd 9 ultra (different list displayed for 10, even when you check the list for 9 it displays 10 instead)?
Is powerdvd having problems with the blu ray copy protection?

Formating and reinstalling does not fix the issue!
Upgrading and downgrading firmware for hardware does not fix the issue!
Power and cooling changes does not fix the issue!
Upgrading and downgrading drivers for hardware does not fix the issue!

A stand alone blu ray player fixes the issue thats just sad. The fact a PS3 works better than powerdvd is just even worse!

I do not see how you can even make the claim that powerdvd is the "No.1 Movie Experience on the PC"!
JohnnyW [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 24, 2010 16:52 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Larry

I get the exact same issue with video freezing, and audio continuing, then the video stream fast forwarding to catch up. Completely random as you say.

I have an Intel 2.6GHz Quad core, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9600 GT, latest drivers. I had vista and PowerDVD8 Ultra, and BluRay playback was fine. Then I upgraded to Windows 7 Home and PowerDVD 9 and got the issue you describe below. I am also using the on-board IDT audio.

I have just upgraded to PowerDVD 10 Ultra, but guess what... of the 2 BlueRay discs I have tried, neither are recognised by PDVD 10. It tells me there is no disc in the drive. Which is stupid, cos they were recognised by PDVD9 Ultra last weekend.

I am about to upgrade the graphics card to an ATI 5750 because that supports bitstreaming of HD audio formats over HDMI to my amp. However, not much use if PDVD won't even play any BluRay discs.
I wonder why Cyberlink even boether with crap like 3d when they can't even get the basics right.
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is your windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit?

Do you play movies through the MCE interface? I am thinking that is not part of plain home edition.

I tried the Powerdvd 10 trial and saw some of the freezing still so I am not upgrading yet. All of the blu rays i tossed at it was recognized.
Which titles? Which Blu ray reader do you have?

Just so you know the hardware support page says the newer NVIDIA GT2xx series cards will pass through HD over HDMI, but unlike like the ATI statement it does not say "lossless pass-through". I have not gotten far enough to purchase an HDMI AVR for true DTS MA and the DTHD formats.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd/hardware-support_en_US.html

JohnnyW [Avatar]
[Post New]
Intel DP35DP ATX board / Intel Quad Q6600 2.4GHz / 4GB RAM
Nvidia 9600GT (latest driver)
Pioneer BDC-S02 Bluray/DVD drive (latest firmware)
Windows 7 32 bit (latest updates)
Microsoft Security Essentials AV

Play DVD & Bluray through PDVD only. Media Centre is configured but I rarely use it.

It won't recognise any Bluray films unless I run AnyDVD. See:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/11002.page

Let me know if you ever get a solution to this video freeze issue. Once I have upgraded the video card to the 5750 (and therefore the audio path too) I will let you know if I still get this issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2010 06:14

JohnnyW [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good news!

Yesterday I did manage to watch a whole Bluray on PDVD10 (had to use AnyDVD too) - but with NO video freezing.

I have yet to add the 5750 card.
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I got tired of having issues and i read up on the HD audio support for POWERDVD 9. At least now I can follow the PowerDVD 9 support links and find the correct sound chip list again, instead of the PowerDVD 10 list LOL. Got to love swapping hardware to help prove your original equipment is not the problem. Build 2 computers to prove 1 works. Dang they got us end user by the ....

I am replacing my IDT based audio motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121348&Tpk=dp45sg

with a REALTEK ALC889 based audio motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128433

I will let you know what i discover. I have watched a blu ray through with no errors once or twice, but never in row without ANYDVD. I know the system can do it, but then the random crap starts up. When it happens i can even enable ANYDVD and it will mess up still. My first goal is to enjoy SPDIF and blu ray before purchasing another peace of software.

Hopefully one day soon i will upgrade my AVR to HDMI and then update my video to a newer Geforce with HDMI audio. It is still unclear if the Geforce HDMI audio will pass lossless in PowerDVD 10.
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
PowerDVD 9 Version 9.0.2528.51
DVD091203-02
Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
Retail
NvIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
197.45_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql
Realtek ALC889 (GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-USB3P)
Vista_Win7_R247
HDMI (DVI to HDMI adapter)
Single
Not using two or more displays
no antivirus software

I got the REALTEK ALC889 installed this weekend, but i did not get my fresh format and install completed.

Right now I have the previous install running with it just redecting the hardware. I did uninstall the old ethernet, audio, and video drivers. I installed the new ethernet, new audio, and reinstalled the video drivers.

This allowed me to get back up and recording TV shows with the MCE.

I had it running outside a case for a day just to make sure items worked and such. I did fresh format and install on a different had drive that day. I am sad to say I still had troubles with using optical spdif audio and hdmi video. The video would freeze still and some times long enough for the audio to even stop.

This audio driver did not hiss and have other issues when trying to use the DTS mixing mode in powerdvd. I will go back and try to play a Blu Ray using the DTS mixing mode over the SPDIF to see if it helps.

So far i believe the HDMI and ANALOG 7.1 will probably lead to freeze free playback. SPDIF might never be freeze free for more than 1 movie.

The hard part is having enough time to sit and actually watch a movie over and over for problems. Sometimes I am lucky and it happens right away, but other times it waits till i am over half way through before it acts up.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2010 10:35

Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I just did a quick test with Analog 5.1 and had some chunky pixel with freezing ARGGGGG!

Have you gotten your HDMI routing to the AVR yet? Its a big purchase so i understand if you have not yet.

I will see about posting some DX logs and such to go with the new system but it is not looking promising.

The support site says:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-faq-content.do?id=6796&prodId=1&prodVerId=578
Which sound chips (cards) support high-definition audio output?
Realtek ALC889 (support up to 192kHz/24bit 2-channels or 96kHz/24bit 4-8 channels)

Has this been confirmed working under windows 7 64bit?
I have tried SPDIF and get random freezing.
I have tried analog and get random freezing.
JohnnyW [Avatar]
[Post New]
My audio now goes from PowerDVD10 Ultra through the ATI 5750 and into the AV amp over HDMI 1.3, so when playing Bluray it is now being sent across as naitive Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio.

I think it was the change to PDVD 10 that stopped the random video freezing rather than the move away from SPDIF, which was my previous config.

If you have an AV amp which supports hi-def audio, then the ATI 5750 is a good option.
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
[Post New]
sadly i do not have an avr with HDMI or that supports DTS HD MA or Dobly True HD.

My avr only does 5.1 analog or spdif (optical and coax). It does several DTS formats and tons of Dolby formats. It even does Windows Media which the realtek actually can put out in.

I guess I will install the Powerdvd 10 trial again on a fresh format and run some more tests. It was odd the night before i tried analog 5.1 again and instantly i was seeing chunky pixels which is a bit different from video stop. I slapped down to dolby mix last night and it seemed a little better, but i didn't finish the movie.

Maybe this weekend i can free some time to run more tests.

I wonder if anyone here is runing Gefore 200 series cards that have the HD audio codec here and how powerdvd 10 is working for them? DTS HD MA and dolby TrueHD... Anyone?