Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Please Help Me Figure This Out!!! Preview Still Hangs
[Post New]
I've got PD8, version 8.00.2508. As per the suggestions from this forum, I got a new Win 7 machine. So I know my problem can't be horsepower. See attached diag file.

I've noticed that when I put together a segment, even a simple 2 minute video with just 4 simple fades, I'm able to preview it one time through without problems.

But when I try to preview it again as I continue to edit the video, the preview screen freezes and all I can hear is the audio.

When I click the pause icon, the program hangs and I have to wait for 10 or so seconds before my click will actually do something and in fact pause the preview. It's as if PD8 is doing something in the background then letting me continue.

I can't do any kind of previewing of my edits which is really frustrating because I got a brand new machine AND upgraded to PD8 because I was having this very same problem with PD6 and my Windows 2000 machine.

The only variation is I put together a 10 minute video recently in 1280 by 720 HD and I somehow didn't get any preview hang.

But I just did some testing with a 40 second video with non HD in 640 by 480 and the darn thing was hanging in the preview. What's going on?!?!

Please help!!!!

Thanks,

- Andy
 Filename
AndyLongDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
308 time(s)
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Your system is more than capable.

Are your video drivers up to date? Is your hard drive defragmented? What is your CPU usage when you play your videos? Do you have hardware acceleration turned on in PD? Does this only happen with these files or does it happen with standard definition files as well? Have you tried lowering the preview quality? You shouldn't have to do to that, but at this point you should try anything.

I would also disable shadow files (preferences -->general-->enable file processing). My quad core will freeze as the shadow files are generated with my HD footage.

You can try downloading ffdshow. Just make sure you get the most up to date version. It helped my older laptop. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
[Post New]
Hi James,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them and get back to you.

What is ffdshow? Where would I download it?

Thanks,

- Andy
[Post New]
Quote: Does this only happen with these files or does it happen with standard definition files as well?

The preview was hanging with the standard definition files. But then I did a 10 minute long project with HD files and the preview was fine.

But then I did a 40 second test while using standard definition files again and the preview hanged in the manner that I previously described?

Why would I get preview problems with much smaller files sizes but none with HD?

- Andy
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
ffdshow basically adds video codecs to your computer. I'm not sure why you have having more trouble with SD video compared to HD video. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
[Post New]
Did Andy ever get a solution to his problem which is exactly the same as my problem now?

Pls advise. Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

cay1998 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2009 09:05 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Bumping this because I have been dealing with this issue for a LONG time and want to finally try to figure it out. I've found enough people complaining about the EXACT same issue that I'm experiencing to know that it HAS to be a known problem. During preview playback, it hangs up during transitions for 9 or 10 seconds at EVERY transition.

Please advise what needs to be done to rectify this.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Andy wrote,
I've got PD8, version 8.00.2508.

There is a newer build, as far as I know, it is 3022. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

cay1998 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have build 3022 and am still experiencing the issue.
cay1998 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Since I'm apparently not going to receive any help from anyone on the forum or Cyberlink support, I have decided to try to help the many others that I am sure have done what I have and "learned to live with" this shortcoming...

The last project that I did, I just suffered through the 9 or 10 second delay EVERY SINGLE TIME I decided to preview through a transition...

What I have found to work is as follows, YMMV...

- Set your core # to 2 cores. This is done under msconfig->boot->Advanced Options->Number of processors. 2 is the only number that I could get to work and I left it at this setting even during "production" and burning

- Next, go into PD8 and go to edit preferences. Under General, you want to "uncheck 'Enbable file processing to speed up high definition video editing"
- Uncheck the following under "Editing" - Both items under "GPU acceleration"
- I also left "Auto-save project" unchecked - not sure if this was needed or not...

Anyhow, if you experienced this OBVIOUSLY known issue and have had nothing but "run around" and no resolution... Give what I have listed up above a try.

It worked for me !
[Post New]
Thanks Chad!

I'll try those settings and let you know what I turn up.

One thing I have done to get around all of this is create my entire project then the last thing I do is add my transitions. That way I can preview without it hanging. Most of the time anyway. Even without transitions, it still hangs sometimes.

- Andy