Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
consecutive video clips have loss of background audio at clip edges.
Chrissyc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2012 06:12 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone know a way to make the audio continuous at the join of two video clips, without inserting a crossover transition.

I find there's a very short annoying split second silence at the point the clips join - especially noticeable if there is continuous background noise, for example in a room of people talking.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There was an issue with earlier versions of PD365. Use the CL App Manager and make sure you've got the latest 365 version (21.0.2214)
Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There was an issue with earlier versions of PD365. Use the CL App Manager and make sure you've got the latest 365 version (21.0.2214)

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure how to check the version number I have, but it is the November 2022 one that was released a few days ago.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Simply click on the camera icon at the top left and see the version screen, like this:

Also, if the CL App manager doesn't show an update, you've got the latest version.

As for your audio issue, typically joining clips together works without any problems, but one way to ensure that there's no gap is to offset one of the clips by some small amount and then use the keyframe tool to manually fade the audio tracks in (for the second clip) and out (for the first), like this:

You can also hold down the Control key and click on the blue Volume level on each clip to create a keyframe directly from the timeline. You'll want to align that with the start/end of the other clip, then you can simply drag the existing ball (keframe marker) at the start/end of the clip to the bottom to set the fade in/out.
optodata
[Post New]
If you're more comfortable using transitions, you can drag and drop one of the Audio (for music) transitions on the respective ends of each clip to accomplish the same thing:

Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Simply click on the camera icon at the top left and see the version screen, like this:

Also, if the CL App manager doesn't show an update, you've got the latest version.

As for your audio issue, typically joining clips together works without any problems, but one way to ensure that there's no gap is to offset one of the clips by some small amount and then use the keyframe tool to manually fade the audio tracks in (for the second clip) and out (for the first), like this:

You can also hold down the Control key and click on the blue Volume level on each clip to create a keyframe directly from the timeline. You'll want to align that with the start/end of the other clip, then you can simply drag the existing ball (keframe marker) at the start/end of the clip to the bottom to set the fade in/out.

Many thanks again. I do indeed have the latest version.
I don't seem able to join the clips, even with the two clips selected and side by side, the 'combine' instruction is greyed out - would you know another way of joining them?

Unfortunately overlapping as you suggest, on two separate tracks, creates the same result as using an overlap transition - I wanted to avoid overlapping the clips, as I have already edited so that the edges of the video need to butt up to each other.
It's such a shame there seems to be break in the audio, although not in the video.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I don't seem able to join the clips, even with the two clips selected and side by side, the 'combine' instruction is greyed out - would you know another way of joining them?

You don't actually need to do anything other than place the clips end to end. That will result in a standard "jump cut" scene change

Quote Unfortunately overlapping as you suggest, on two separate tracks, creates the same result as using an overlap transition

No, it actually doesn't. That's because the content of the lower clip will immediately be visible the moment it starts playing, while the upper clip's content will completely disappear. You actually have to use a transition to achieve any kind of cross/fade effect.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2022 16:52

Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you're more comfortable using transitions, you can drag and drop one of the Audio (for music) transitions on the respective ends of each clip to accomplish the same thing:

Yes I have tried both of those, albeit with the clips side by side. They do reduce the volume as one clip ends and increases as the next one starts, but the end result is still a loss of sound completely at the very point the two clips join.
It seems the only answer is to overlap the clips and lose a little of the video. Many thanks for your help.
Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]

You don't actually need to do anything other than place the clips end to end. That will result in a standard "jump cut" scene change

No, it actually doesn't. That's because the content of the lower clip will immediately be visible the moment it starts playing, while the upper clip's content will completely disappear. You actually have to use a transition to achieve any kind of cross/fade effect.

I am very grateful for your help, I think simply putting the two clips on separate tracks and overlapping just a little may solve my audio problem, without the loss of too much video, however I know from experience that it would then be very difficult to apply any visual transitions between the clips as they are not on the same track!

It seems there is no straightforward answer to my problem, I probably already knew that, but thought I would ask, just in case I was missing something.

Many thanks again.
optodata
[Post New]
As I said earlier, the audio shouldn't have any gaps when placing the clips end-to-end so there's something going on with either your clips or how you're producing the video.

The approach I've described won't result in any lost video unless you're using every frame in each clip. Typcially you'd trim off some of the start and/or end to get the content you want, and in that case you'd now extend one of the clips to keep the audio while not losing any content at all.

You can also right-click on any clip and choose Link/Unlink Video and Audio and extend one clip's audio under the other, or even place it on a separate track while keeping the video portions on the same track.

Here's an example I used in a recent video where I wanted to change the video scene while keeping the audio from the first clip playing:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2022 18:17

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It is possible that the OP did not explain the situation correctly. If he/she means that the camera recording is broken up every say 2/4 GB consecutive segment in size in a continuous recording that last hours. There will be a brief silence between each clip. That brief silence can be removed using a different method.

Best to format the memory card as stated in the camera manual to keep this from happening if using a professional camera.

The OP needs to explain this in detail or state which camera and model number is being used, type of recording, amount of recording, etc. to get proper help.
Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote As I said earlier, the audio shouldn't have any gaps when placing the clips end-to-end so there's something going on with either your clips or how you're producing the video.

The approach I've described won't result in any lost video unless you're using every frame in each clip. Typcially you'd trim off some of the start and/or end to get the content you want, and in that case you'd now extend one of the clips to keep the audio while not losing any content at all.

You can also right-click on any clip and choose Link/Unlink Video and Audio and extend one clip's audio under the other, or even place it on a separate track while keeping the video portions on the same track.

Here's an example I used in a recent video where I wanted to change the video scene while keeping the audio from the first clip playing:

The problem is apparent whilst still in the editing stage on the timeline, so not a production issue. The clips come from various sources, so I don't believe the camera source is the issue either. Maybe I'll try Cyberlink's technical department if no-one else has the same problem.

It could be that I just need leave a little extra on my trimmed clips to accomodate the overlap.

I have used the unlink audio many times thank you, and as you have, to keep consistent audio (as with a song playing in the background) whilst editing the video.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Hard to guess potential editing issue as it could be many with PD, especially without much provided details as tomasc noted.

From your many descriptions of the issue, my first guess would be your source video files are variable framerate and potentially highly variable, often the case with cell phone footage. The video file details from MediaInfo app or MediaInfo online, https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline would give some insight if this might be the issue. PD21 still does not handle these types of files gracefully, in such cases, converting these variable framerate files to constant framerate of similar resolution and quality with software like HandBrake often resolves the PD21 editing issues.

Jeff
Chrissyc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hard to guess potential editing issue as it could be many with PD, especially without much provided details as tomasc noted.

From your many descriptions of the issue, my first guess would be your source video files are variable framerate and potentially highly variable, often the case with cell phone footage. The video file details from MediaInfo app or MediaInfo online, https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline would give some insight if this might be the issue. PD21 still does not handle these types of files gracefully, in such cases, converting these variable framerate files to constant framerate of similar resolution and quality with software like HandBrake often resolves the PD21 editing issues.

Jeff

Thank you so much for your reponse, and yes almost certainly my source clips have varying framerates. Many years ago I found producing video with clips of varying framerates a problem within PD, but that seems to have resolved itself with more recent updates. In fact I had forgotten about it, and didn't realise it could still be manifesting itself in the audio. Most of the time it's not a probelm - its only with constant background audio that it becomes obvious.

Thank you both again for your help, it's nice to know there are people willing to give such good advice.