Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't Hear Audio
FRANK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2010 12:17 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I am trialing the Power Director Suite 8 on Windows 7 and have tried multiple formats of video clips that have sound and play fine in the raw. However when I drop them onto the timeline I lose all sound and don't know how to enable it.

[/b]
What the heck am I doing wrong??

[b]
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Do they play OK in the media library?

If they do then when dropped to the main video timeline is there a white line through the blue waveform?

If there isn't, try rt click and check/uncheck the mute track.

Try it also with the sample nature.mpg.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
TheShadowman
Member Location: St Albans, Herts, United Kingdom Joined: Dec 31, 2009 12:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frank

Have a look at this post link, it may help. Also check: DIRECTORS CHAIR - EDIT - PREFERENCES - GENERAL - "Show sound waveform in timeline" is checked

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/posts/list/1488.page

and this one

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/posts/list/1339.page

Robert

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 29. 2010 13:07

FRANK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay I tried it with the Nature.mpg file and there's a sound wave just below the video track and not only does it play in the media library but it plays on the timeline.

I am converting high-def files to .mpg and for whatever reason, when I drag them to the media library there is no sound attached.

Again the sound files play fine when played from my desktop, but not in the program at all.

Any ideas??
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
It may be useful to download mediainfo to give a full spec of your files so that we can check exactly what they are and what the audio codecs are.

Given that PD plays the sample file it is likely to be a codec issue but ..... the more information you can give the greater the chance of someone solving the problem.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
FRANK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Adrian...how do I download media info?

I just switched to .wmv file and the audio file seems to be working.

vn800rider
[Post New]
Media info is open source - try this link but do read the details to set it up as you want.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

When downloaded and installed, probably the best option for info is View>Text

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
FRANK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Will do thank you guys.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I am trialing the Power Director Suite 8 on Windows 7
I guess that's Media Suite 8.
OK,
1. First ascertain exactly what version of PowerDirector is being used by Frank. Look in Help>About and give the full version number please.
2. Ask what the source material is, where from and what file type it is. Name the camera and the extension please Frank?

Then look up the PD8 versions and check the specifications which come with the build.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page#43679

I think you'll find the editor version Frank has, wont read the audio. Something he can now check for himself.

Frank go for the FULL version of PowerDirector 8, Ultra. You'll find that is what you need.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2010 16:35

FRANK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks DaffyD,

I checked, and I'm on a trial. If it will play my audio files I'll purchase the program, but I don't want to chunk down the $ if I'm going to have to do a bunch of converting every time I want to listen to something. The format out of my Sony HD handy cam is .m2ts and .modd (might be a sound file or something).

Is there a way to upgrade my codecs just to see if these work? If so, I'll buy the Ultra version.

Thanks again.

Frank
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frank,

Just a question...you wrote
I am converting high-def files to .mpg and for whatever reason, when I drag them to the media library there is no sound attached.

Are you using Power Director to convert your Sony m2ts(video file extension) to .mpg? Or are you using something else? The reason I ask is I edit with the Sony (m2ts) files in Power Director and they work well. Why are you converting them first before importing them into Power Director?

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
FRANK [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great question. I'd prefer NOT to convert anything but manage and edit them right inside Power Director BUT sound won't play from the .m2ts file when I drop it into PD.

That's why I'm wondering if I need some more codecs or something so that I can hear the sound.

this is pretty frustrating.

So the way I have to do it now...is use the Sony software to convert to .wmv or .mpg so I can hear the sound track inside PD.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Frank,

Sorry about the confusion....I misunderstood and thought the .mpg files were missing the sound. not your m2ts.

I wish I could offer some helpful insight...I am running Windows 7 with the Sony files as well, with nothing special for additional codecs installed and they play fine.

Are you running Windows 7, 64 or 32 bit version?

No one has asked you to post a DXdiag to upload so we can look at it to see if something might jump out at us.

Click Windows Start>All Programs> Accessories>Run> then type in dxdiag and select OK. Once the file has finished select SAVE ALL INFORMATION, it will prompt you for a location to store the txt file. Respond to this post and select ATTACH FILE...then browse for the text file and select SUBMIT.

Sorry if I tend to write out every step....I don't know if you know how to or not...and it will be helpful if you do...anyone else reading this will learn how as well

Regards,

Kevin

P.S. We are a persistent group aren't we....we don't tend to give up until we find a resolution.
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.