Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 9 ultra minimizes to taskbar when DVD is inserted
robbie1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2009 17:29 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I recently upgraded to PowerDVD 9 Ultra (build 252 from Power DVD 8.
Now, when I insert a regular DVD into my DVD drive, PowerDVD opens and then immediately minimizes as an icon to the taskbar. I can click on the icon and then it will open normally on the screen, but I never have had this happen before. Any ideas? I'm running Windows 7 64 Professional. PowerDVD 9 is latest patch to 2528 and java is up to date.
David_H [Avatar]
Member Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob,

I'm new to Windows 7 so I can't offer any specific solution but I can make a general suggestion.

Most entries in the Windows Start menu and on the Windows desktop are actually "shortcuts" that point to a program or file. If you right-click on a shortcut and choose "Properties" from its popup menu, you'll see a tab called "Shortcut" in the Properties dialog box. It contains a "Run" setting with a dropdown list where you set the window mode for the program. Most of the time it will be set to "Normal window" but you'll see that one of the options is "Minimized". If you select "Minimized" then each time the program is launched with this shortcut, it will immediately minimize to the Windows taskbar.

Now the question is: What is causing PowerDVD 9 Ultra to minimize when you indirectly launch it by loading a DVD? Perhaps Windows 7 has a "Run" setting for programs the same as earlier versions of Windows have for shortcuts. I would start by looking at the properties of the PowerDVD 9 Ultra application, itself, and see if Windows 7 offers a property that controls the window mode.

Kind regards, David
robbie1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2009 17:29 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks David and I'll check that out. It's most likely windows 7 related as you suggest.