Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Receiving new resolution error message.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

Not a typical forum question here I know, but…

Lately, each time I Produce a project (using the same source media and Produce settings as usual), at about the half way point of the Producing process, my monitor screen will randomly go black for a few seconds and then come back on. This will happen 4 or 5 times while producing a 5 minute multimedia project.
And each time when it comes back on (revealing that the project is indeed still Producing), a pop-up window appears, stating…
Cyberlink PowerDirector supports 1024 x 768 resolutions or higher. Do you want to continue? Yes/No?

My monitor resolution is 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz), and I have never had these momentary monitor screen blackouts, or ever received this particular message from Cyberlink, prior to updating to the newest PD8 2704 build.
(see attached screen shot of pop-up message).

The only other difference in my computer’s setup, other than the 2704 update, is that my ISP Comcast, recently switched it’s customers from McAfee, to Norton (which I installed), as our new internet/virus/security app.
(Both the Norton and the 2704 update, where installed within a couple of days of each other.)

Does anyone know if it possible that this new Norton Securities app could be causing these new multiple black screens glitches, that are followed by the monitor resolution pop-up messages from Cyberlink?
Or is it more likely that something in the 2704 build is causing this new strange behavior?
Anyone else had, or heard about this issue?

[Thumb - new notice.png]
 Filename
new notice.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
82 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
276 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2010 05:53

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
What happens when you switch off your monitor? Does the warning message still show?

Dafydd

PS Dust on your graphics card - overheating, stressed and ready to go kaput on you. I don't know why it's started now, but it could be the dust issue and or a cooling fan failing.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 29. 2010 06:10

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Cranston,

An interesting detail that you included was the 1/2 though part. Are you using ATI stream or CUDA when rendering? If you are the GPU will be working hard causing the temperature to rise and possibly overheat if the cooling is not adequate. This sounds like a hardware problem or a case cooling issue so I agree with Dafydd. Is this the computer you purchased about a year ago? If memory serves me correctly you were not interested in building your own from scratch so you purchased a prebuilt one. What kind of video card are you using? Does it run 24/7 and what are the temperatures like inside your case? How is your computer situated (is there space around it's side for ventilation)? If you had a second video card to try I would give that a shot to see if the problem goes away. For now I would open your case and check for dust on the fans (CPU, case, and video card). I would also try resetting the video card in its slot. I assume you are using a discrete video card for editing purposes. I would also double check to make sure your monitor cable is firmly connected to the video card.

Another possibility is a driver issue.

Did the problem just start after switching to build 2704 and the switch to Norton? I wonder if there is some kind of driver conflict with Norton. Before doing anything, get the latest driver for your video card and check to make sure the monitor cable is firmly connected. I don't think build 2704 is the problem. If that does not work then check your fans.

If you still can't find the problem it could be the power supply.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 29. 2010 08:28

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm that on my old system I would occasionally get that message as well Cranston...maybe three times total in a years time. One of my case cooling fans had failed and it was rather warm inside, so heat was a factor.

Could this be related? I thought I would share that with you.

Is it time to upgrade?

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Ah, Kevin may have hit upon it.

I too have recently had to install extra cooling to my case - actually hanging a 4" fan in the case as well as taking off the side and front.

I think we generate too much hot air during our morning/evening Skype discussions. Maybe we should only talk one at a time on alternate days?

I have turned down the room heating as well.

Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Adrian's use of the term...."Install"..I believe deserves a screen shot.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'd monitor your GPU temperature in the ATi Overdrive section of the ATi catalyst suite if I were you.

My old ATi GPU fan failed, the card reached 100C which then caused either a system shut down or a black screen.

My new GPU never gets warmer than about 58C.

If you have an NVIDIA there must be some way of monitoring the temperature?

Or you could get a jet engine turbine like Adrian's! Please post a picture of this monster fan Adrian!!

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I know Kevin boasts of his NEW system but he's got a long way to go to beat this cooling setup :

[Thumb - wind.JPG]
 Filename
wind.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
19 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
274 time(s)

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Mar 29. 2010 10:16

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,

Thanks
For the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated that you would respond.
Now just to re-cap…
PD8 2508 was working fine > Did a complete un-install/re-install to 2704, and (as I now recall) did indeed also install Norton the same day, as described above > Edited with this new build for the rest of the day (without Producing), and all was fine > Next day opened/resumed/finished editing a tutorial project.
All was working fine and normal as usual.
Started the Produce process, and at about the halfway point of the Producing process, started receiving a series of black monitor screens with recovery to normal screen and got the pop-up message attached above after each black screen > But the project did ultimately Produce successfully.
One thing I forgot to mention, once I closed PD (build 2704) and returned to my desktop screen, all my program icons had moved from where they were positioned, into a new square grouping in the upper left side of my monitor.

Today
After receiving your responses, and after the computer had been off for 12 hours (Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off), I started my rig, and as a test > Opened the same tutorial project from .pds file > Started Produce (again to WMV HD Standard) > And at about the half way point in the Producing process, The same black screens with messages, happened again.
So if it is a fan or heat issue, can a computer over heat in less than 10 to 15 minutes?
(BTW, when I started to get those black screens while Producing, I opened Windows Task Master, and PD8 was steady at 100% CPU)

Dafydd
I opened the case, and though I’m not computer savvy enough to know what I’m looking at in there, it looked pretty clean to me. Didn’t really see any dust except for a little on one of the 2 fan’s propeller tips, which I wiped off. But the inner case and all those green circuit boards and stuff, looked pretty pristine to me.

James
- No, my lowly ATI HD3450 is not supported for enhanced GPU rendering.
- Yes, this is the modest rig that I bought about 11 months ago.
(Intel Core2 Duo Processor / E7400 / 2.80 Ghz - 4GB DDR2 SDRAM / 800Mhz - 500GB Serial ATA II HD / 7200rpm)
- Yes, at least 5 inches of ventilation space on each side, and unlimited on top.
- 24/7? No, I turn it off each night, or whenever I’m not using it
- Yes, perhaps a driver issue (haven’t ever updated any since purchase, I’ll look into that)
- Power Supply? Perhaps, But this rig is only 11 months old. I’m 55 years old, and my power supply is still working. Well kind’a, hahaha.
-Thanks for the suggestions James, I’ll look into it all. Go Packers!

Kevin
The fans appear to be working, but I’ll look into replacements. Couldn’t be too expensive to replace them I would imagine. But changing those 2 fans is about the extent of what I think I could handle in there. Because I "can" identify what a cooling fan is.

Adrian
Your thoughts on… “too much hot air”, are duly noted. Those super sized cooling fans must be a necessity in Britain?

Andrew
Thanks so much for you input and responding. Seems there is a consensus about cooling fans being the culprit.

But Still
Though I’m sure it must just be a coincidence, and is indeed some sort of a hardware issue. I still had no problems before adding Norton and installing 2704. And as I now correctly recall, they were both installed on the same day. And then I finished out that same day with the final edits to my latest tutorial project, which presented no problems.
Yet, the very next day, during the very first attempt at Producing my project, these black screens with resolution messages begin to occur, for the first time ever. And continued to occur the following day, within 15 minutes of Producing with a very cool(ed) computer.

But I will pursue all your suggestions, and I thank you all once again. It is much appreciated!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 30. 2010 01:49

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Everyone I know removes Norton as fast as possible, but I doubt that is the problem here. An additional fan never hurts. Blowing out the dust is a good idea. Flashing black screens like that is usually what happens when the computer is loading the graphics driver or changing resolutions. That would match the error that you are getting. Why is it changing is beyond me. Could be a bug in the driver. 15 minutes under load is enough to overheat. You might also try reseating the graphics card, but again that doesn't seem likely here. Update the drivers, or roll back the drivers. If it also has an onboard graphics port, try that and see if you get the same result. Sorry I couldn't narrow it down. Those problems are hard to diagnose long distance. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Andrew, Thanks for the tip on the ATi Overdrive. I never saw that before and I will be adding a case fan very soon. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Jamie is correct that Norton has a bad reputation. I tried the Norton suite and it was the biggest resource hog on my system. I now use AVG anti virus because it's free and doesn't give me any issues. You could try uninstalling it just to see what happens.

I suspect that your desktop icons moved as a result of the changing resolution of your monitor. If you installed graphics card drivers from the CD when you originally purchased your system then they were probably out of date from the day your computer arrived. Updating your drivers seems to be a good first step regardless if this is a heat related issue or not.

If you think it would be helpful you could make a short video or take some pictures of your setup and post them.

In regard to fans, you should verify that they are actually spinning. If you can't see inside the case when the power is on and if you only look at them with the power off you will never know for sure if the fans are working properly or not. I would take off the cover, turn on your computer and redo the rendering process. With the cover off you will be able to determine if the fans are moving without restriction and this will reduce the ambient temperatures around the CPU and GPU. If the message goes away then you pretty much know that it is heat related.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 30. 2010 08:21

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Cranston,

Are you able to monitor the temperature of your GPU in Catalyst? I currently have ATi Overdrive switched off, and the temperature gage is greyed out BUT it is working still.

I'm a Norton user myself. More recent releases are less of a drain on resources than before, but I'm sure there is room for improvement. I wouldn't use anything else personally but each to their own as I always say!

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
James W
[Post New]
In all fairness the last time I used Norton was 2002. Things may have improved in that time. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT