Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
UPGRADING TO POWER DVD 10
jester_uk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2009 10:40 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
i have power dvd 8 ultra in at the moment and i am going to upgrade to power dvd 10 ultra (cheaper).
di i install the power dvd 10 over the top of 8 or should i uninstall 8 first?
David_H [Avatar]
Member Location: U.S. Joined: Jan 08, 2009 16:19 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: i have power dvd 8 ultra in at the moment and i am going to upgrade to power dvd 10 ultra (cheaper).
di i install the power dvd 10 over the top of 8 or should i uninstall 8 first?

Hi jon,

My understanding is that you can do either. Another member of this forum posted that he/she left PowerDVD 8 on their computer when they upgraded to PowerDVD 10 and that both programs worked okay afterward. Evidently, PowerDVD 10 installs to a different folder so it doesn't interfere with PowerDVD 8. However, I don't know if there are any driver issues---I don't think the other member tried watching blu-ray movies nor do I know if he/she was using the "Ultra" version of the program.

In my case, I went ahead and uninstalled PowerDVD 8 Ultra before I upgraded to PowerDVD 10 Ultra. After I removed version 8, I also used a registry cleaner to clean the Windows registry of any stray entries relating to the program. Then I installed version 10. (By the way, I never had version 9 so I can't comment on it.)

As far as I can tell, the PowerDVD 10 Ultra installer is the full version just like you would use if you were installing the program for the first time. So you don't need to have an older version on your computer to install the "upgrade". I think you just need to be in CyberLink's customer database to qualify to purchase the program at the "upgrade" price.

Kind regards, David