Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A Critique....patches and support.
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
I have a problem with this term 'patch' as used on this forum.
In the computing world I know, a patch is a modification to an executatle image to improve/modify its behaviour. I have written and issued many patches (many cos of all my mistakes, I suppose) and had to apply manufacturer's patches to programs I have bought.
However, the PD8 release is not a patch, it is a replacement , that is why it is a reinstallation. The previous version of the progam is replaced and any activation/authorisation must be picked up by the replacement program. This is NOT happening properly with this release.

I have read some other threads, on PowerDVD for example, where they have experienced similar problems. It is interesteing that Dafydd, who is doing strerling service as a patch for the service one should be getting from CL is needed to provide a formula of steps to undo damage - steps I might add which are not for the computer-naive to perform. The implication is that only people prepared to play around editing their registry and run baseline service programs should buy the CL products. I also find it interesting and insulting that a telephone service is available for this (Taiwan-based) company in the US. Why is there no European custemer facility?

I should declare myself, in order to offer some weight to my opinion – I am a retired university professor, Director of IT studies. After retirement, I went back into the IT industry as the Director of IT for an international company, with our specialized software applications appearing around the world. I never had any professional experience of Video processing, but I don’t think the realease and support principles differ. The level of care going into Cyberlink’s releases is appalling. The level of support to fix the problems they induce is equally deficient. This is a great pity as the software appears to offer great potential value for money. Whatever the excuses which may be offered, one has to consider that other software companies are able to distribute software which installs over previous releases without the disturbance suffered with CL. (That is not to suggest that all those other companies do not issue software which is buggy, nor that their support is magically perfect).

I suspect that this critique will/would be rejected by CL, and possibly by their loyal supporters on this forum, but how good it would be if it actually reached some non-deaf ears at CL. i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I am a software developer, but not with the credentials that you offer. I believe the patches do qualify as patches as they are a much smaller download, but there are some problems with the process. I always use the full install, so I can't remember how the patch effects registration. You make some valid points. What I find the most interesting is how PowerDirector can affect different systems so differently in ways that would seem to have nothing to do with the function of the program. That's not necessarily a flaw in the program, but something that must be understood to make it better. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones, but I have had little trouble so far. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I've installed PD both ways. Sometimes I've manually done a complete uninstall followed by using CCleaner and then installing the newest full version of PD. Other times I've just installed that latest "patch" by running the downloaded exe file and letting PD do the work. I've never had a problem with either method. Regardless of what method I use I always keep the downloaded files from the previous build regardless in case I have good reason to go back. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Denbigh,
I welcome your input here.

Video Editing and software are resource hungry and has been for as long as consumer computers have been available. Installation of PD is not difficult and only when an individual makes a mistake or there is a direct software clash will there be a need to go into the registry. Denbigh, I'm sure he'll agree that installing a patch 2704 onto a full build 2704 isn't a smart move. Only one PD full version can occupy or use the drivers on a PC - that's why previous builds or earlier versions are removed or files over-written.

I have NEVER had to removed data from the registry to reinstall PD, other than in experimentation, to correct an issue.

I'm very aware of the issues of un-installing software and opt to Un-install using Add & Remove and rebooting before installing a new version. I have close contact with a number of editors and we each do different installation actions.

As to the US based support. Yep, I'm aware of that. With the assistance of other editors, I have set up a One to One tuition contact.
Here: http://www.softdeko.com/onetoone.htm
CyberLink are aware of the actions we have taken.

FYI. I draw posts/threads to the attention of senior members of Customer Support, when and if required. This is one

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2010 06:11

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I forgot to add in my last post a link.
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/830/share-your-screen/

With the assistance of other editors, I have set up a One to One tuition contact.
Here: http://www.softdeko.com/onetoone.htm
CyberLink are aware of the actions we have taken.

Dafydd
[Moderator]