Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 9 ultra SPDIF changed?
Larry Patrick [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jul 11, 2007 14:21 Messages: 276 Offline
[Post New]
I am looking for fellow PowerDVD users that actually use a SPDIF connection to their AV receiver.

Powerdvd 9 ultra 2201 and prior could pass through DTS, dolby digital, and other formats over the SPDIF.

Powerdvd 9 ultra 2320 and later (2528 latest) now only ever send LPCM 2 ch audio over the spdif and the mixing options for DTS and dolby digital have horrible sounds added in them.

Customer support has informed me of the following which is NOT what i purchased back when I paid for my powerdvd 9 ultra.

"I wish to inform you that SPDIF support following specification:

1. LPCM: 48/44.1 kHz 16bit 2ch (you can select "Only primary audio", PowerDVD
output 48/44.1 kHz 16bit 2ch .)

2. AC-3/DTS: 5.1 Ch (You can select AC3 Mixing or DTS Mixing then he can output AC-3/DTS 5.1 ch)

I suggest you to use HDMI as the audio output due to HDMI can support 7.1 ch. "

NOW customer support failed to read my complete complaint and i have tried to repeat the information they ignored. The fact is my setup has always been HDMI to my TV without audio. Optical SPDIF to my older Pioneer reciver for DTS, dolby digital, and other formats.

Is everyone switching to HDMI? cause I can't afford it. Yes i would love the DTS HD audio but that requires a NEW AVR and new audio card that supports it.

Is anybody out there there still using SPDIF and seeing the same problem I encounter on DVD or Blu ray?

You can find more information about my software and hardware in the following post:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10481.page
STUART [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2010 11:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I use a laptop connected to a projector by HDMI video only. Then I connect my HP laptop to a HP docking station with SPDIF audio and Ultra 9 does give me a problem everytime. Through trial and error I have gotten it to work doing these steps EXACTLY in this order:

1) make sure pc setting is in 2 speaker setting.

2)Open PowerDVD in 2 speaker setting

3) Start movie in 2 speaker setting

4) Then change PowerDVD speaker setting to SPDIF

5) Then change pc setting to SPDIF

These steps MUST be done in that order for it to work.

Hope this helps you!

Larry Patrick [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jul 11, 2007 14:21 Messages: 276 Offline
[Post New]
I will give that a spin the next time my SPDIF does not give any audio at all. My problem is i get audio over SPDIF, but it is only ever 2 channels and does not pass through of DD or DTS.

According to the folks that answer the customer support tickets the SPDIF only does 2 ch audio, otherwise you have to force a mixing option. They are basically saying it will not PASS through DD or DTS which was news to me.

I may give your idea a try to see if it makes a difference for my 2 channel problem though, but i am thinking it wont help.

Thanks
STUART [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2010 11:24 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
OH! I wasn't aware of that! I thought it was DD through the 5 channels. Maybe its mxing it and I didn't realize. I will have to test it maybe if I get a chance later today.

Also if you do need to do those steps sometimes I've noticed it still won't work untill I close out of Powerdvd then reopen after the last step.