Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Major Problem Downloading
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
I am having MAJOR problems downloading full version of PD8. The 'content' file at 449MB is so big that it is not network fault tolerant. I can get varying amounts, up to about 200MB, before the Cyberlink server seems to be too busy, when the bytes received (by my browser client) just drop to zero. If the drop is for too long, the link times out. I have timeout set to 5 minutes, so it is presumably the server end that is doing the timeout.

On the principle that I am never the first to have a general problem, there must be someone out there who has had the same problem and cracked it.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP.

(Have told Cyberlink CS two or three times, but they appear to not be listening. I guess they are too busy too.) i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Could be an ISP connection issue. Check your router set up, your computer stasis and see if you have a built in connection restriction. Stop your PC/Hard drives going into sleep mode.

This isn't a CyberLink issue - the problem lies at your end.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 13. 2010 06:14

SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
Could be an ISP connection issue. Check your router set up, your computer stasis and see if you have a built in connection restriction. Stop your PC/Hard drives going into sleep mode.

This isn't a CyberLink issue - the problem lies at your end.

Thanks, I appreciate your help... you may well be right. However, with...

- Download sizes acheived from 48MB to 284MB and
- Duration going from about 10mins to 42mins
- No discs are allowed to go to sleep.
- Livebox in 'Advanced' setup seems to have no limits available
- I have tried using different hard disks (none external)
- I have tried rebooting my machine
- I have also tried stopping all other internet activity, which makes no significant difference

...I am at a loss where I can look. These do not seem to be consistent with any lilmits I know of, but are consistent with a random loss of end-to-end communication. My assumption was simply overloading of the Cyberllink server. But it could be due to multi-hop from here to USA. I have asked if they could provide a mirror site in UK perhaps, so I could try another server. I was rather hoping someone else might have been in this situation before me, and sorted it !

(I am not sure what you mean by Computer Stasis, so I haven't checked it) i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Check with your isp to see if they've set you a limit.

If all else fails give me your Order details, full name and email address and I'll chase it with Customer Support and get something for you. Yes, I do remember you Denbigh but I don't think I have your email details. Please PM everything to me.

Check your firewall isn't blocking the connection. Check your anti-virus is trying to check the download. Use a Download manager software - might help if it allows you to. Use a different browser to make the connection (Firefox as opposed to IE). Watch out as some large HDD drop into sleep mode - reported on the forum as a power saving.

The one I want you mainly to do is switch browsers to Chrome or Firefox as there have been issues with IE in the past.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 13. 2010 12:07

SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Have you a similar sized file on an accessible server in UK, that I could try to download?

You say it is not Cyberlink issue - with such big files, why do they not use something like Akamai Download Manager? I have occasions to download Adobe stuff, going into GB size, and have just gone away and lefit if overnight, to find the file there in the morning.

Please continue to help me on this, as having the right to download the file and unable to do so is very galling.
i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Denbigh, I've just added a bit more to my post above.

OK, please give the details requested. I cant do anything until Monday (I'll send the info off and get a report back on Monday morning). I'll then provide you with an alternative link.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
SeptimusFry
[Post New]
My last posting crossed with yours...

I have checked with my ISP, and there is no limit, only a 3GB limit on storage which I am not using, and a limit on BW which I am not using, as my website is not with my ISP.

As mentioned originally, I tried Firefox, Safari as well as IE8. I have Ackamai installed in all my browsers since this started. Server site neds to initiate apparently.
Also, I am using system disc for download so as to be sure that it doesn't stop.

BIG THANKS FOR EFFORT>...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13. 2010 12:29

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Both Dafydd and myself regularly download PD releases in the UK - I tend to use Chrome, Dafydd tends to use Firefox.

I also download on 2 systems - one a dual core athlon 4600 3Gb Ram and the other a single core 740Mb RAM. My ISP is Plusnet, line speed 5500/6000 down 700 up. The PD download can often take up to 1 hr depending on traffic/load.

I rarely have a problem but it is definitely better/faster at certain times - from memory early am is good, weekends and early evenings are often bad.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Denbigh,
I have removed your Order details - they shouldn't have been posted here on a public forum. I asked you to supply them in a PM. Please be careful with your information.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
SeptimusFry
[Post New]
vn800rider said
I rarely have a problem but it is definitely better/faster at certain times - from memory early am is good, weekends and early evenings are often bad.

I am not convinced that my assumption about Cyberlink server loading being the problem is correct, with your comment and noting in another thread yesterday that Stephen downloaded PDR8, including the Content, which is the one giving me trouble. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps he was downloading from a different server to me, ditto for the comments by yourself and Dafydd.

I have applied logic rather than technical investigation (as I cannot do much of the latter) in that the downloads can get as far as 326MB, or as small as 16MB, and the time can be from 15mins to about 45mins - logic suggests a size or time limit is not a possibility.

I am open to suggestions, should you have any. My line speed is 7616KB down and 1024 up. The actual received rate from CYberlink varies from about 2500 to 0 (monitoring the process in Performance Monitor). I just started a download, and am getting a miserable 41KB average. See attached PDF document.
 Filename
Download Monitor.zip
[Disk]
 Description
Shows the download progress. Process being monitored is the window of the IE8 download.
 Filesize
61 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
379 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Denbigh,
When did you purchase this item from CyberLink - I see you have a date of 2009-08-02 for the PD8 version supplied?

I'm concerned at what link you are attempting to download and whether you should use it (you are if you have purchased an extended download facility). Or as is more likely it is out of date.

The new purchaser you referred to would have had the same type of link you were previously provided. A limited term download link.

I await your answer.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2010 13:53

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Denbigh,
I don't use the links provided by online purchase - you are correct in that assumption. The links are provided by Customer Support.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 14. 2010 13:57

SeptimusFry
[Post New]
FINAL MESSAGE

The internet is fundamentally unreliable, and email and downloading etc. use protocols to get the message through the 'noise' quite transparently.

Because my location is so far from the source, it is probably a bit 'worst-case' and I could not resolve the download using the blunt instruments which browsers such as IE, FF... implement.

I am generally against Freeware, but found 'Free Download Manager' at http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ (I am sure there are others equally good).

This not only made the download, but did it exceptionally quickly. Highly recommended if you find downloads too difficult. Dont waste time trying everything to make a simple IE or FF download, it is so much easier with a DLM.