Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD Dx 8.1 cannot play blu-ray movie
COLEMAN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2009 16:43 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have all kind of problem trying to play blu-ray movie on my Dell Studio Slim 540S. The blu-ray drive is PLDS BD-RE DX-4B15. It is running on Vista. It used to be PowerDVD Dx 8.1, but it is updated with the latest PowerDVD Dx 8.3. It used to work fine several months ago.

When I tried to play “State of Play” blu-ray movie, it popped up with: "A critical component of the blu-ray Player requires periodic updates. New movie could fail to if the critical component is not updated promptly." I click Update Now, and it said No update is currently available.

I spent roughly 3 hours with Dell Tech support last night. They tried to un-install all the PowerDVD and all the software that related to blu-ray encoders. I'm talking about they literally un-installed all PowerDVD stuff and my DirecTV2PC, PowerDVDdirector, PowerDVD2go, games, etc. I told them it used to work with all these software in it, and it should work with it now but they un-installed it anyway. It'll take me forever to re-install all my software.

After they un-installed everything, they re-installed the PowerDVD Dx 8.1 and updated it to 8.3, and still didn't work. They tried the PowerDVD 9 trial version, and it didn't work either. From my past experiences, the trial version usually wouldn't work very well anyway. They do not include all the necessary files in it. They tried the VCL media player, and it still didn't work.

The blu-ray drive is functioning fine, because it can plays standard DVD movie fine. They provided a phone number for their software expert. I'll try to call them tonight. They are probably will delete everything in my PC or format my hard drive. I hate it when they do that. It'll waste a lot of my time to re-install it.

I thought that someone here might encountered this problem too and might have a better idea how to fix it...! Is there any suggestion before I give Dell software expert a call?

Thanks.

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

can you please post :

- detailed Version
- SR Number (nor Serial) - shoudl be in about Box
- used AV and Firewall solution

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
COLEMAN [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,
Thank you very much for your reply. I got tired of the PowerDVD 8.1 and dealing with Dell. The GUI is kinda boring too. I upgraded it to PowerDVD 9 Ultra.

The PD 9 Ultra GUI look great. It can play some blu-ray movies, but it cannot play some of the newer blu-ray movies. When it work, the sound and video are superb. The error is listed below. If you can help, it would be great.

PowerDVD 9.0 Ultra AACS License Key Update-
An important component of Cyberlink Power DVD requires periodic updates. New movies may not play back if the component is not updated. Would you like to update now? Yes No (Error Code #0024)

Clicking 'Yes', just results in the message appearing again. Without being able to get past the pop-up message, results in Power DVD 9 being unusable.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

did you install latest patch from our website to update to v2528?
Which titles ask for Update?

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10103.page

Br
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2010 11:42

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
COLEMAN [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your quick reply. I updated the v2528 patch on the same day I installed PD 9 Ultra.

The titles that cannot play are the rental blu-ray movies from Netflix. The latest title is (State of Play) and you can view the link below for detail:

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/State_of_Play/70102779?trkid=226870

There must be some special AACS protection in the rental titles that would not allow PD 9 Ultra to properly update. The "State of Play" seem to work fine on my wife HP laptop, and it is using a special quickplay Cyberlink PowerDVD. It is unique to HP PC. It updated the AACS thing on the HP without a glitch. For whatever reason, it wouldn't do it on my Dell Studio desktop.

If you have any other idea, please let me know. Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2010 12:09

COLEMAN [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm getting tired for lack of software support from Dell and Cyberlink is very slow. They sold the software, and they should have work harder to keep up with all the new blu-ray movies and Microsoft updates.

I cannot believe that giant companies (Cyberlink and Dell) are falling behind on their software upgrades.

I'm getting tired of contacting them and waiting for answer. I formatted my hard drive. I reloaded PD 9 Ultra. I can play most of rental blu-ray movies, but there are some that still gave me glitches. I acquired the free trial AnyDVD HD software, and loaded in my PC. It is very simple software, but it is very affective solution. I can play any blu-ray now without any glitch. I'll buy it after my free trial is over. Is AnyDVD software person smarter than Cyberlink and Dell?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2010 13:32

samaldine [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2010 12:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to get directv2pc operating and the playback advisor won't let me past. I know my computer will play the content. I found the directv2pc application online but it is telling me I need a serial number. I called directv and they told me to contact cyberlink and get a passcode, since the codes are generated by a computer. Can someone help me find how to get an activation code. Thanks
Coleman123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 08, 2010 19:23 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Samaldine,
I can help you with Dirctv2PC. I installed it in my Desktop and Laptop. It works very well. Please follow my short instruction below:

1. Go to this link: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/technology/directv2pc
2. Click "Download" when you see: 2. Download the DIRECTV2PC application today. It's FREE!
3. Click "Continue Download" in the popup screen
4. Click "Download Now" in the popup screen
5. Follow the simple popup screen directions to download the advisor> enter your name> email address> click "Submit" at the very bottom of this page: https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/event/2008/directv2pc/enu/download-advisor.jsp
6. You'll receive the Directv2PC key in your email, and you can enter the key when you open Directv2PC for the first time.

Enjoy it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2010 20:27