Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Picture cut off top and bottom
Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hi fellow producers,

I have searched the forums but cant find an answer to my problem, not to say that there isn't one hidden there somewhere.

The problem is the DVD I made plays back perfectly on one player (a basic $99 LG) but on my $800 Panasonic DMR-XW350 the top and bottom of the picture is cut off. This makes a mess of the captions I put on the stills, not to mention some titles I had in the production.

I made short test productions in 4:3 and 16:9 but that makes no difference to the problem.

In all cases everything is inside the TV Safe Zone

I tried every combination of settings on the player and TV (a Panasonic 1080p 32" LCD)

I phoned Panasonic and checked all the setting while the guy led me through them. He then concluded that the problem was caused by the disc, as I have no problems with any commercial discs in this player.
He did not seem impressed when I mentioned the LG player!

Have I missed something in the settings of PD7? I can repeat the production if I can find the right settings.

I have already made 10 copies of this disc to give out at a family reunion on Sunday.

Thanks

Roger
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Roger

What type of monitor (TV) are you viewing this through?

I have a Panasonic Viera plasma that has various aspect ratios (4:3, 14:9, 16:9, cinema, widescreen, full screen etc).

All of these work independently to the DVD player.

Good luck
Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
The TV is a Panasonic 32" LCD Viera with HDMI connection. It does not seem to be a function of the aspect ratio. No combination of aspect ratios, player and TV, works.

The first Panasonic guy I spoke to said the problem was because I had not set the player to "Progressive scan". It was set to Auto detect anyhow, and changing to other values did not work either. The second Panasonic guy I spoke to said to have both TV and player in 16:9.

Surely there must be a way to get PD7 to make a DVD that works on one of the most popular TV?DVD combos around.

Roger.
Spartan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2008 21:50 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I had an issue with a DVD of mine not playing correctly and it turned out to be the settings on the DVD player. I had to set the display device to 16:9 and then everything worked fine.

I have never had any issues playing commercial discs on that player.