Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thumbnail duration
John 1274 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 29, 2008 11:04 Messages: 84 Offline
[Post New]
This might be a dumb question but "How do I set the duration (length) of the thumbnail?" I think mine are running about 15 seconds but for the life of me, I can't find a way to change the length. I just upgraded to PD8 a day ago.
Thanks Windows 7 64-bit 8 GB RAM, x64
AMD Phenom, IIx4 925 Processor
2800 Mhz, 4 Core, 4 Logical Processors
Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Phys. Memory 7.99 GB
Available Phys. Memory 5.70 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.3 GB
TheShadowman
Member Location: St Albans, Herts, United Kingdom Joined: Dec 31, 2009 12:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John

When you say "thumbnails" are you referring to the thumbnails used when producing a DVD menu - Or are you talking about the duration of "effects" and "transitions" used in clips?

I only ask, because if you are using PD8 for the first time, there may be some confusion.

I am not aware of any way to set a duration to a DVD thumbnail.

Regards

Robert
[Post New]
I bet John wants to be able to control the animation duration in the DVD Menu. Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted... but to weigh and consider.
John 1274 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am talking about the motion "Thumbnail" on the chapters pages. I have created the chapters pages with six (6) motion "Thumbnails" on each page. When I go to the page, they all play from the point I specified, for about 15 seconds and then pause for a split second and start over. I like them to be in motion because it makes it nicer to view what the chapter is about.
The reason I'm trying to change the length of the Thumbnail motion is because my final projest is at 4727 MB. In "Highest Quality" it will not allow me to go over the 4700 MB, which is for a DVD. I just thought by setting the Thumbnail at a shorter length, it might put it under 4700 MB. Just a thought??????
I just upgraded from PD7 and in PD7 the Thumbnail could be set anywhere from 10 to 99 seconds.

Thanks, John Windows 7 64-bit 8 GB RAM, x64
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.3 GB
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
John -

I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think what Jeff posted about the duration of thumbnails at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7491.page is still true. I'm fairly sure that Jeff would argue that, in terms of motion thumbnails, going from PD7 to PD8 is not an "upgrade" at all.

I rarely use menus myself, but just tried (using the playback settings) to modify the duration of the thumbnails. It made no difference, so I suspect it's still an issue.

One option you have, give that your project almost fits, is to use Smart Fit. PD will slightly alter bitrate parameters to allow your project to fit onto the DVD. With your project, I think the difference in quality would be negligible.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 02. 2010 17:30

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
John 1274 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony for your help.

John

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2010 20:25

Windows 7 64-bit 8 GB RAM, x64