Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ATI hardware acceleration - AVCHD production
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
There has been some posts on the "apparent" ?? interlacing/progressive formats of files produced using AVCHD. MBAFF scan type is a integral feature of h.264.

"MBAFF, or Macroblock-Adaptive Frame/Field Coding, is a video encoding feature of MPEG-4 AVC that allows a single frame to be encoded partly progressive and partly interlaced. Maintaining the quality of interlaced video can be a challenge in video encoding because of the larger spaces between horizontal lines in the same field. MBAFF allows an AVC encoder to examine each block in a frame to look for similarities between interlaced fields. When there is no motion the fields will tend to be very similar, resulting in better quality if you encode the block as progressive video. For blocks where there is motion from one field to another the quality is more likely to suffer if encoded progressive, so these blocks can remain interlaced. "

Running XPMCE SP3 with a Radeon 4650 card using ATI Stream, and producing the same .mp4 file from a Sanyo HD1010 720p 29.97fps progressive gives the mediainfo results below.

The production profiles were either the standard PD8 ones for 1440 and 1920 or a custom 720 from the custom menu options - no other changes were made.

The files are named [resolution]HA or NHA for hardware acc. or no hardware acc. The screenshots have each pair of results [resolution]HA or [resolution]NHA

I believe Dafydd, using Nvidia/CUDA gets different results. Make of it what you will.

Cheers
Adrian
[Thumb - 1920mediainfo.png]
 Filename
1920mediainfo.png
[Disk]
 Description
1920 HA and NHA
 Filesize
61 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
589 time(s)
[Thumb - 720mediainfo.png]
 Filename
720mediainfo.png
[Disk]
 Description
720p HA and NHA
 Filesize
63 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
526 time(s)
[Thumb - 1440mediainfo.png]
 Filename
1440mediainfo.png
[Disk]
 Description
1440 HA and NHA
 Filesize
61 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
430 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01. 2010 05:42

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Here is the 720p video template I made for the AVCHD-Lite test Adrian and I carried out.

I didn't do a lot of research into AVCHD-Lite 720p settings, please don't hold my template up as being the correct one or anything. I've been playing with the GOP pattern - and changing the settings somewhat. Adrian and I have compared structures and don't see a huge difference.

I think we need to have a GOP structure for some of the files which are AVCHD-Lite and perhaps mimic those. However this isn't an area I want to get bogged down in. I'll leave it to others to find a GOP reader software for mts files and further experimentation.

I'll post the Mediainfo files for this template.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

[Thumb - sdukpd8-428.gif]
 Filename
sdukpd8-428.gif
[Disk]
 Description
Video selection
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
531 time(s)
[Thumb - sdukpd8-429.gif]
 Filename
sdukpd8-429.gif
[Disk]
 Description
Audio selection
 Filesize
19 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
514 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 01. 2010 16:14

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
My set up has Nvideo/Cuda.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page#35364
Produced a 720p file each time.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
 Filename
HA.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Using CUDA Hardware Acceleration
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
379 time(s)
 Filename
NHA.txt
[Disk]
 Description
No Hardware Acceleration
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
510 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 01. 2010 14:01

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Adrian,

Interesting to say the least.

Any idea why your "Overall bit rate" drops by a factor of 2.5-3 between NHA and HA? Obviously real as file size echoes the same. Makes no sense to me.

Jeff
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

I really don't know - Primarily, I noticed, more by accident than planning, that the overall file size was so different with/without HA that I redid the 720 production 2 or 3 times with the same result and then did the others as a comparator. I don't use the 1440 or the 1920 output as my system seems to struggle to play them back. Actually, I haven't used AVCHD in the past so it was a bit of an academic exercise that turned intriguing.

Besides looking at it with Dafydd, I've done no more and thought I'd post the results in case anyone had an answer/comments - not being one to re-invent the wheel so to speak.

I have only used mediainfo as an analyser and I haven't really studied carefully the output file viewing quality to see any difference yet, but I only use 19" monitors unless I couple the laptop to the 32" full HD TV.

So at the moment it's a "work in progress" for discussion really.

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.