Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CANON DVD BURNER
Aussieroo
Newbie Location: Canberra, Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2009 01:05 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
My brother-in-law has a Cannon DW-100 DVD burner. I notice it has only one connection and that is by usb. Why not by HDMI? I thought the HDMI's are the latest and greatest means of connections. He has lent it to me for experimenting. Now to try it out.
Reg Reg
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
HDMI is a video connection. A dvd burner would have USB 2, firewire or maybe eSATA. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Aussieroo
Newbie Location: Canberra, Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2009 01:05 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
The burner has an ordinary USB2 port. What I thought I might be able to do was hook up the burner to my computer so that I can burn avchd straight from PD8 . I cannot do it because I need a USB2 (female) to USB2 (female) which you cannot get (apparently). You can only burn straight from Cannon HD camera to the burner via mini USB to USB2 port. Reg
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
You may be looking at the wrong port. There should be a small almost square port on the back of the burner for the USB cable. If not, than I have never seen one like it and can't really help. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Aussieroo
[Post New]
Jaimie, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't seeking help. I was making a statement about the Canon AVCHD burner in that it will only burn direct from a Canon HD video cam and that is all it does. You cannot hook it up to a PC to burn or direct to a TV and watch your video except by way of:

Canon DW-100 burner, USB cable (with USB2 (into DW-100) with mini USB (into camera)), Canon Video cam, HDMI cable to TV.

Surprisingly there is only one USB port and one power port on the unit. I borrowed it for testing purposes.

The best solution I have found for HD video to TV (other than hooking the cam via HDMI to TV) so far is the WD media player. Reg
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The Canon DW100 is a camcorder burner, not a computer external burner. It is actually designed for those people who don't have access to a computer and associated burner. It can ONLY interface with cameras and provides an easy means to backup or burn your recorded video or pics to disc to share with others to play in an acceptable player. Therefore it only needs the one camera interface USB port as you describe.

If you don't have a disc player, you can also use the DW100 to play the discs but for this the interface is a pass through to the VIXIA camera with the camera connected to the TV.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2010 12:44

James Dotson
[Post New]
maybe I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't seeking help. I was making a statement about the Canon AVCHD burner in that it will only burn direct from a Canon HD video cam and that is all it does

Thank you, no I didn't understand that. That would be an entirely different situation. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM