Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Update 2508 Audio Waveform Gone
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, after updating PD8 with 2508 patch I find that the Blue Audio Waveform on the timeline is missing for my raw camcorder clips.
The video clips are Standard Definition MP4 with AAC audio @ 24Khz, 128Kbps, Stereo.

I also found that clips produced by PD8 in the MP4 format with stereo sound are AAC audio @ 44Khz, 125Kbps, stereo, and these files also do not display the Audio Waveform.
Processed clips with mpg or m2ts extensions use a different audio format and appear as normal.

As I have the original program retail version 1930 on CD, I uninstalled PD8 2508, and then deleted the registry entries and also used the microsoft cleanup tool as per forum instructions.

Upon reinstalling my original 1930 version I find I have now created the same problem in version 1930.

This seems to suggest that certain dll or other referenced files are being altered by the program during the update but not reverted back to the previous versions when the program is uninstalled.
Normally other programs give options during an uninstall and list which resident files have been altered/updated and give a choice as to what action to take.

As most of the contributers to this forum seem to have HiDef camcorders which I don't think use this audio format, I don't expect others to have experienced this problem.

I have lodged a ticket with cyberlink, so will see what they say.

PatC
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry I don't have a solution PatC but your mention of the problem still being there even after an uninstalling and different version being installed is a problem that I also have found in previous builds.

I think you are right that when the program is un-installed it does not uninstall all of the parts of the program or when the different version is installed it does not over write the old version. One of the reasons last year I had to re-install my operating system to get my version of PD working properly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 11. 2010 18:43

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

I am coming to the conclusion that to get the best from PowerDirector I need a computer dedicated to this one program alone.
This then needs to be set-up so that only PD8 resides on the C: hard drive along with the operating system.
Then keep all original and processed video files on D: drive.
At least then it would possible to reinstall the operating system and PD8 without worrying about other programs and data already on the system.
The real chore then would be the time spent re-installing the operating system and many Microsoft updates etc. before re-installing the latest version of PD8.

Thanks for acknowledging and understanding the problem.

Regards Patrick
-Jim-
Member Location: West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics! Joined: Mar 29, 2009 13:32 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Gents,

I find this not only annoying for PD8 but a lot of Windows Apps you install. I would have hoped by now the Microsoft would have figured out a way to purge the OS of all unwanted bits of all apps upon uninstall. (Or have a check that doesn't allow install if the app can't do this.)

I know you can use Registry editors, scrubbers, and the like, but even then sometimes their are remnants hanging about. I too have had to re-install a complete operating system partition from scratch because an app did not clean itself up when uninstalled. Painful

I moved to a separate Hard Drive for just Video Editing (on a Startech Mobile Rack that allows you to slide in /out the drive on an as needed basis). Even though I've got lots of resources and horsepower, it's better to avoid conflicts with Antivirus programs, updaters, and all the automatic stuff that occurs these days.

I actually use two slide in drives most of the time when video editing. One is strickly for the media files as once transferred from the Camera as they don't get fragmented. And the other has (now) Win 7, PD8 (I just moved to this version from PD7 so I'm still learning it and haven't made a Movie in it yet), Nero 9 (which I typically use for burning the movies) and Alcohol 120% in case I want to copy a disk I make for someone else in the family.

There is no email, web surfing, or Anti-Virus. Once I get the Video Drive to where I want it, I use Ghost 15 to back it up to a file (usually on another slide in drive just for Ghosts.) I used to burn these images onto DVD but now they are getting too large, and I'm too cheap to waste a BD-R on it (I just bought a Blu-Ray Burner )

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2010 12:26

Regards,

Jim

Asus Z87-A Motherboard - O/C if needed to about 4.6 Ghz.
Intel i7 4770K CPU
16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
OCZ 448 Gig SSD (for OS and related Video Editing Programs)
1 TB, 1.5 TB, and 3 TB Data Drives - Slide in Drawers as needed.
LG's HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 Blu ray Burner
Samsung SH-S223F 16x DVD Burner
Gigabyte GTX 660Ti NVidia Geforce Graphics Card
PatC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jim / Robert

The use of Removable Plug-In Hard Disk Drives is not a set-up I had even thought about, but seems like a very flexible solution. This even more so with the price of large Hard Disk Drives dropping to very affordable levels.

Thanks for the suggestion

Regards Patrick