Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Templates
Christopher [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 29, 2009 15:58 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I everyone,
A question on templates,In the templates there is a picture in the middle, one shows a dog and in my case it shows the start of the video but I would like to place a still picture in them, for instance for a wedding video i would like to place a photo of the couple in them.I have tried all sorts of modifying and placing a still photo in the timeline and in the pip line but nothing seems to work.so if possible could someone plaease tell me if it can be done.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Christopher,
Any chance of a screen shot of what you're looking at, please?

I expect what you're asking about is a do-able but you need to make yourself a little clearer either by description or show a screen shot and then describe.

Please read this:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART F - read this first and get
PART E - an alternative
PART D - read this to see how to present

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd.
Never have been any good at explaining things but here goes:-
1PD 8
2 Create disk
3 Menu Preferences
4 All TEMPLATES
5 Template 7
In the screenshot you will see letters within the heart and this is where i would like to fit a picture of the Bride and Groom if possible

Hope this was of help to explain myself?
Many thanks Chris
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
There's probably a better way, but you could possibly go to the PowerDirector Menu folder and find the mask for that template. Then edit it directly. Be sure to save the original under a different name. Now, since the mask may not actually show up, since it is a mask after all, you could open the animation and edit it in PD to add the photo as a PiP object. Again, work with a copy of the animation. That way you don't risk loosing the one you like to use.

I would only use this as a last resort. Someone may say it is a simple setting and this is not even necessary. Good luck. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
Hi Christopher,

Not easy but Jaime is correct.

Make a custom menu from the standard one.
Probably saved in
documents and settings\[username]\my documents\Cyberlink\Custom Menus\3.0\menu_000 (or whatever) They are numbered sequentially

If you replace the heart mask
....Custom Menus\3.0\menu_000 (or whatever)\Layer Template\Layer template2\UserMask

with a completely transparent .png (say by editing in photoshop)

you will remove the 1st page "window" to the main video.

This leaves the solid heart animation playing.
documents and settings\[username]\my documents\Cyberlink\Custom Menus\3.0\menu_000 (or whatever)\background\firework

There are a couple of different .wmv files to choose from.

This can be edited to include a picture of the bride and groom.

I'm sure it can be done as well by editing the .xml files but I haven't found out where.

I'm not sure its worth it but ...

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Christopher -

Right click on the template in the library - select Modify

Click on Add Image - find the picture you want and place it.

You'll need to do something with the image first to make it look better than the attached idea. Sorry - had to greyscale it to get it under 100kb limit.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Menu_mod.bmp
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
93 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
188 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2009 17:26

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi everyone.
Thank you all for trying to help me but I think what I am trying to do is way beyond the scope of my tiny brain.I have taken a screen shot of what I would like to have achieved.

Many thanks,
Chris.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Christopher -

Don't under-rate yourself. Obviously, you did what you had to do to arrive at the screen shot - using whatever graphics editing software you have. Yes?

Why not forget about the template?
1. Make a new image that's close to the look you want.
2. Insert the image of the couple and tart up the edges.
3. Use your new background image to make a new menu template.

You're almost there! This mock up is made on a background I downloaded from the net, then step 2 (above).

Cheers - Tony

Edit_ I was just about to say, "If my brother, Cranston, was here he'd be able to point you in the right direction" and he's on right now.
[Thumb - Menu_mod2.jpg]
 Filename
Menu_mod2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
174 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2009 05:20

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, you lost me at... "tart up the edges". I'm still working on "fair dinkum".
Very nice image though Tony! Good on ya' mate!

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]

Gotcha!

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2009 06:08

Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi everyone,
Just an update to let you know that I am still trying to get a template to work properly.I won't go into the list of what I have tried so far cos it would cover too many pages but my conclusion is that unless I am missing something simple that basically templates are a waste of time.The reason I have reached this conclusion is that whatever I try to do the template will only play the video in the background and in my case because i have placed opening credits at the start of my project all I end up with are black blobs in the background:- see enclosed screenshot

If anyone has ever got a template to work properly I would be grateful for any help.
Many thanks,
Chris
ynotfish
[Post New]
Christopher -

Where did you get the idea for the black blobs??? They don't really fit the wedding theme too well.

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea why your menu templates are behaving as they do... but I am equally sure that if you follow the steps above (ignoring the pre-installed templates), you will have it sorted in a short time.

I only say that because that is the process I consistently follow and nothing has gone wrong since I actually learnt what to do.

Cheers - Tony
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,
Thank you for your reply.The answer to your first question is that where the black blobs are is a video that plays within the template and that is the problem.The black blobs at the start of my movie are black colorboards with a title showing what the video is about ie:- the wedding of x & x on such and such day etc now all i want to do is have something different playing within the template,for instance I have tried a mini slideshow and it works well but then the next problem is when I play the movie it starts with the slide show but i would like it to start from the actual movie.
As to making my own I appreciate what you are saying and I have made a couple of menus using your method that look pretty good but I would still like to know why you cannot modify the video section within the template plus I also paid out $19 for an extra pack which look pretty good for weddings but then again what use are they if you cannot modify them.
Many thanks
Chris.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Christopher,

Change the chapter image to the area in the video that you want to display in liu of the black blobs. By default chapter 1 must be at time 0:00, HOWEVER, the thumbnail image with this chapter (or video thumbnail starting location) can be at any timecode. In the chapter room select chapter 1 and then select any point in the video and use that as the chapter thumbnail. This selected starting point for the video will play in the window.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 08. 2009 12:50

Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,
Thankyou for your reply.Have given it a try but the problem is with that because my first two clips are colourboards with intro text on them there is no video shots to create a video thumbnail and if I go to the first scene with a video shot the set video thumbnail icon will not work.
The closest I have got to succes with my problem is by inserting a short slideshow at the front of the timeline, but then I have the problem of when i play the movie on the menu it plays the slideshow as well as the movie.Is there anyway of keeping the slideshow and movie seperate so that when you press play it will play the movie only?(Should this be in a different thread?)
Many thanks
Chris,
ynotfish
[Post New]
Christopher -

It is possible (I've done it so it must be pretty easy) to insert a slideshow, obviously pre-produced as a video clip, on the menu page... it looked like a little PIP screen over part of the still image. I'll have to go digging through my archives to find how I did it. You could also make your slide show (produced as video) the video background for the menu. I don't even know if that would help you.

AHA - I remember:
1. Make a slideshow containing related images (only about 10) and produce that as a video.
2. Insert a still image on the timeline and place the produced video (slideshow) in the PIP track... just in the corner to allow space for menu buttons and titles.
3. Produce that whole thing as another video - let's call it "menuvid".
4. In the final project (in your case - the wedding) - make the video background for the menu "menuvid". It's just a still shot with a "moving" box in the corner.
5. Pop in titles & formatting and it's done.

One thing I've learned (since then) is that very often the screen/menu/whatever looks way way better if I keep it simple and don't try to be too "clever".

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 08. 2009 16:23

Brooke2424 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2009 18:16 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi everyone,
Just an update to let you know that I am still trying to get a template to work properly.I won't go into the list of what I have tried so far cos it would cover too many pages but my conclusion is that unless I am missing something simple that basically templates are a waste of time.The reason I have reached this conclusion is that whatever I try to do the template will only play the video in the background and in my case because i have placed opening credits at the start of my project all I end up with are black blobs in the background:- see enclosed screenshot

If anyone has ever got a template to work properly I would be grateful for any help.
Many thanks,
Chris

Hey Chris,
I am really new to this and but I have a suggestion for you. I quickly skimmed over yours and others posts so if its been answered I apologize.

Your black blobs from what I understand are from your credits which I assume you added at the beginning of your video...right? Well in put your credits in the first play section. Its separate from the video but will play before your menu screen. I hope this helps.

I finally got my video burned but now I can't figure out why it won't play on any DVD players. LOL. Don't you just love this stuff!!!
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Brook 2424.
Sorry I havn't replied to your post as I have been having a few days away with the family.
Thank you for your reply but what you have suggested hasn't worked so I guess it's back to the drawing board.

PS I was going to have a haircut today but I don't need to now as I have pulled all my hair out in frustration with these blooming templates.

PPS Only jocking.
Many thanks,
Chris.
Brooke2424 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2009 18:16 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Don't worry Chris I too have pulled all my hair out cuz well after I made my video and burned it to a DVD I can't get it to play on several DVD players all of which support the format and are within 1-3yrs old. So even if you do get your credits figured out I hope you get your video to play.

Sorry that my first play suggestion didn't help you!
Christopher [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi everyone.
Just an update to let you know that I have sorted out out how to modify the templates and would like to say thank you to everyone for the little snippets of info that helped me to sort it.
Many thanks
Chris.