Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks for all the help, it was indeed the rendering to quicktime, when i rendered the video to avi everything was perfect. BTW, I updated my signature to reflect the build and the pc specs I am currently using. Thank You all again, Tom
Thank You for the replies. Tonight I will render to a different format such as windows and see how that works. I also made sure i have the most up to date build for the software. I think I need to start at the beginning and set up my profile so that I have all pertinent information in my profile. Doesnt make any sense going further without putting forward the correct information. Thanks all for your help. Tom
Thank you for your reply Phil, i was rendering to .mov files from mostly Microsoft based individual files, hd 720p and a wav file for audio. I am attaching a screen capture of my project.

I am sure I am missing something but I just cant figure it out.

if Cyberlink folks are listening, I would love to pay for a professional manual for this software.

BTW Phil, I updated to the latest build this afternoon and will try rendering the video but thought maybe someone would see my error immediately with the screen shot. Thanks again for your help, Tom
I was rendering my first project using PD 9 Ultra 64 and when the rendered video was played back it had no audio. I am not sure as to what may have caused this but here are some details.

1) I rendered High Def video to HD .mov files.
2) The audio file was broadcast wav from Sonar Home Studio synched to the video and placed in its own audio track.

This has got to be my blunder but not sure where I screwed up. Maybe someone here can see something obvious that I missed. Thanks, Tom

BTW, the new 64 bit software is a awesome.
Thanks for the reply Tony, I am one of those people that read things and believe them. I read the min specs and figured I would be good to go. After all I had used PD7 with mov files in 720p without so much as a hiccup on the old 32 bit Vista with 4 gigs of ram and it worked like a charm. After upgrading the chip in the newes pc I figure I will be well within spec and good to atleast try it again. Heres where I have issues with the software, it should work as advertised with the specs given or specifically exclude anything that does not work. A new pc goes for quite a bit and the software (Although the easiest and most complete interface I have ever used) is only a bit over 100 for ultra. I feel silly transcoding each file and producing AVI files just to complete a project but atleast I can say the software worked when done this way and no matter what it performs flawlessly as a transcoder for avchd files. At this point I am all about fixing Eric's problem and my own so heres my attempt at finding some solutions:

I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it. I imported one file ACVHD at a time and transcoded to High Quality AVI files. I did this for one file at a time and stored them in a folder for later import. After all the files were transcoded I imported the media folder and edited the movie and produced as normal. The movie rendered correctly in a slightly degraded file but still in good enough quality. I used the AVI files in PD8 and Cinelerra and both worked fine with the AVI files. I did not try the AVCHD files in Pinnacle Studio 12 because I hate the interface and wont use it even if it worked. My backup plan to PD8 is another hard drive with Linux Ubuntu 64 installed with Cinelerra movie editing software. Although Cinelerra can handle HD video it cannot process AVCHD files natively. But at a cost of a new hard drive it was worth a try. Now atleast i can edit the files in both PD8 and Cinelerra and have some peace of mind that my projects can get completed on time until PD8 is functioning for me. I did read that Linux had a transcoder that would do batch processing but I am not proficient in Linux and wanted to find a quick workaround not a replacement for pd8.

I was a little disappointed to not see my camera supported by PD in the spec sheet. The chip I can upgrade atleast. I guess i need to change cameras also. Oh well par for the course I guess.

Eric, sorry for hijacking the thread i was trying to help and hopefully you can complete your project now.

The only spect I didnt check when working with the AVI files, i did not apply effects or color correct them as in previous attempts. i did not want to stress the software so my next project I am going to get the light and color corect manually while shooting the video so i can do less in the editing process and save some cpu power.

Good Luck with your project.

Tom
I have to apologize on one front, I just checked the requirements for editing AVCHD files and my Canon HF100 is not on the list and also I have a 4450e amd processor and not the required 5000 AMD processor. So Technically the software does not have to work on my systems.

To Cyberlink, please accept my apologies as I didnt realize I was that far out of spec requirements. I also just went back and read that the support staff does not read the forums so my angst is not even on the right forum.

I still believe that if you get an error code you should be able to look up the code and fix your problem no matter the solution. I received a specific code as most errors do and it would be helpful to the end user.
Quote:
Quote:

I know this probably wont help but if you want to check my posts in this forum...

Tom -

The quote above is about the only true thing you've said in your post, aside from the details of your hardware upgrade.

However cheesed off you are about things, and however well-informed you think you are, matters not. We're just ordinary people like you & none of us is interested in rants that contain no useful information. I can tell you that none of that would have helped Eric one little bit.

1. I am on a 64bit machine & PD8 is perfectly compatible with it. I've not had one single issue with it - that's just me. In fact, some testing done with other members revealed that there was more of an issue with 32bit machines, in some instances. Based on that, the member who informed you of that was not entirely correct.

2. My experience is that members of this forum respond promptly to issues that are raised... and generally to the satisfaction of the original poster. Occasionally, people are not able to resolve it here and it's passed on to CL R&D.

3. Of course you'd need to upgrade your hardware if you're trying to edit HD video. What software you're using is completely irrelevant to that. I've done the same myself.

Stop wasting your time and others' posting rubbish.

Tony

Tony, I hope I didnt offend you as my statements werent directed at users trying to help. I always appreciate help unfortunately everything I said was completely the truth.

Please point to anything that I wrote was rubbish. I will post any facts that I have to support what I am saying.

In the thread that I wrote originally, I did what was asked and responded with the information in a timely manner. No one had an answer and no one responded. I dont have a problem with that other than when a user gets an error message from a software there should be some sort of response or some sort of an approved way of solving the problem. No matter what the solution I imagine that Cyberlink would have an answer. I posted looking for information from Cyberlink personnel and I did expect some sort of answer from Cyberlink. What I was looking for was, I give the error code and they tell me what I need to do to fix my software. As I am pretty sure folks that have a problem with PD8 come here also to do.

People get upset when they purchase something and it doesnt perform they way it is advertised to perform. Period. This is not a knock against the helping members this is and will only be a knock to the problem or software that did not perform as advertised.

My quest now is to find out what the true minimum requirements are to get PowerDirector 8 to work correctly with AVCHD files. Thats all, if that leads me to where some are uncomfortable then please say so.

I was trying to help Eric because no one else offered anything else and he had a similar problem to mine.

I have found another workaround, Transcode the files to AVI or MOV files, PD 8 seems to like these files and works a great deal smoother with them. Thomas A Knipe
Dont look for help here either, since reading here many posts describing the very same problems, I have yet to find a solution involving any 64 bit shell. If I am correct and I can predict your short term future here, there will be folks coming along to tell you to run a diagnostic file and to post that file along with a screen capture of the error. Then you will post these items and the post will be so old that no one will read it or respond any longer.

Here is what I have learned about this so far, a member was kind enough to tell me that the software is not compatible with Windows 64 bit, I personally have used PD 7 and 8 on 32 bit machines for 2 years with only slowdowns because of hd editing but never had the program crash until I used it on Vista 64 and Windows 7 64. Since I migrated to 64 bit software I have been told my machine is on the low side for editing HD. Still no one has talked about the 800 pound gorilla in the room. The PD version of the software is not compatible with 64 bit operating systems, it may work or it may not work.

My new way to approach the problem is to keep upgrading the hardware until the program works. I just went from a NVidia 8400gs 512mb to a Nvidia gt220 1 gig. My next move is to move up from a AMD dual core to a AMD quad core processor. I currently have 8 gigs of ram and if all else fails I will move up to 16gig. Then I will add a hard drive and look at my problem again. If that doesnt get me going I will install Liux Ubuntu 64 bit on the 2nd Hard drive and Install Cinelerra and go that route. I know it edits in HD and is used in professional editing setups.

I know this probably wont help but if you want to check my posts in this forum, I asked the same questions and received exactly what you received and what your going to receive in the near future. Atleast I gave you some answers. I hope you get it to work. Tom
Well, I keep hoping for a solution but also still trying to fix these issues myself. Last night i installed the update from Cyberlink from 10/29/09. Since the machine was shutting off at last we spoke I can report that I had a small bit off succes. I ran the project again and now the pc will not shut off it gives me an error again. This new error is a bit hard to believe. It is not enough system memory, well folks since I have 8 gigs and another 512mb on the video card now I just dont believe the software anymore.

I also now think that there is more to this error since no one has any clue about what could be going on.

I would like to know if there is a list of error codes and the reasons for the error and possible solutions.
As of yet I have the same problem but I posted the diagnostic file and jpeg later last night. So maybe someone will recognize the issue and may have fixed it or maybe Cyberlink has some idea of what it could be.

Ok, I have a diagnostic file to attach and the jpeg of the error code. This was before I installed to Windows 7 64. Unfortunately last night when it shut down the pc it did not give an error. Hopefully someone will know why the error popped up. Tom

As an Update, today i purchased a XFX GT 220 Geoforce GT 220 1gig 128 bit to upgrade the video card, I hope this card will help with video processing and producing. I did notice the initial ram increase helped with editing video and got rid of the initial problems I had in Vista 32 bit with only 4 gig ram. So apparently we were moving in the right direction before the Vista 64 and Windows 7 debacle.
First of all, I am sorry for using the mild profanity that I used. Here is why I might be a little wacked out about this topic.

When I installed PD8, I had used the program to produce videos on Vista 64 without incident. These are very small videos maybe 2.5 minutes long. Then all of a sudden this happens without reason. I have to admit that I like using PD8 and PD7 before that. I have used it for many projects from work to home and its always been the easiest and most stable platform for me. Thats why I liked it, now I am wondering why I purchased the 8.

Last night after fighting with this issue and trying 9 times to produce a small hd video I decided maybe I need to finall do the upgrade to Windows 7 64, well that made the problem worse. Now when producing the video the pc just shuts off. I know what my next video will be, I will video this issue and put it on youtube, maybe someone has found a fix for this.

The screenshot I uploaded must have been too big, I will make it smaller and upload it again when I get home tonight. I will reinstall PD8 and defrag.

Dafyd, I thought I was in spec with this pc, I would like to know from Cyberlink's point of view what I need to use PD8 effectively without issue. Thats basically it I put this machine together specifically to deal with the previous issue I had with the other machine and this represents a significant upgrade for me. As a side note, I am going to upgrade the video card, I would rather have 1 gig of ram on the video card also. If I need a quadcore I will get that but I would have to think that Cyberlink will need to update their spec for Minimum requirements since I am doing only the most basic of HD. As to defragging the machine, its only 3 weeks old but as you wish I will defrag it. These are the things we need in a manual, every little nuance of using this program.

If this is a windows issue and there are problems using hd video and windows please say so, I will move to Linux and learn to use Cinelerra if thats what I need to do to complete my projects without incident.
Thanks for your help on the problem, Tom
I have had a problem that has come out of nowhere. I have Vista 64 running PD8 NVidia 8400 512mb and 8 gigs of RAM. I have been doing HD videos all of them small around 4 or 5 minutes using titles and transitions and all of a sudden I get an error when I am producing the video. Please see attachment. First I got a system memory error but its not using that much memory. I have seen the CPU running at 100percent. I am using a AMD 4450e 2.3 ghz dual core. I have seen others talking about problems with their quadcores. This is almost laughable that we cannot utilize the extra ram from the 64 bit operating system but Now I have to bu a Quad Core processor. What next ??? Maybe its time to research the Sony and Adobe offerings. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, I purchased 8 gig of Ram for my machine and installed Windows 7 64 RC1 build 7100. I put my Nvidia geoforce 8400 w/512mb in also. PD 8 performed better until I used Chromakey to install a HD backdrop. I guess its like running 2 hd videos at the same time. I do have to wonder if I would be better off converting my acvhd formatted video to quicktime HD, or record at 720 instead. I currently have a Canon HF100 and also a cheaper DXG that records in 720 p hd. But the lower quality isnt good if I need a mic jack installed.

I am also in the process of ordering Vista 64 with the Windows 7 upgrade. I need the Ram for HD video but I am unsure if PD or any other Video editor works effectively in 64.

I just dont want the glitches in the video, I dont have a terrible need to record in 1080I or P I just want clean video and a crisp picture and good sound, other than that I can do it in post production.

Thanks for your help so far with this guys, failure is not an option. TK
Thanks for replying Dafydd,

I have 2 pc's that i am using, the newest one is using Windows 7 64 with 4gb of RAM onboard video. I havent used this pc yet because I was waiting until Windows 7 comes out and I upgrade the RC1 to full full copy. I plan on using 8 gb on this machine and with another video card.

The machine I am having issues with are my HPa1700n Vista 32 4gb RAM and a XFX GeForce 8400 GS Video Card - 512MB DDR2, PCI-Express.

Maybe I need to switch machines, add more RAM to 8 gb total. Is there any recomendations for a video card for video editing? Thank you for your help. Tom

How do I add the diagnostic file? What exactly do you need and I will add it when I arrive home this evening, Tom

I would rather spend the money on hardware in this instance because i dont relish changing my video software, I have come to enjoy working with PD series and would rather find other work arounds for the extras that I need. This is where I am comfortable editing.
I am having some HD video issues, I often use moving quicktime hd files as backgrounds in my projects and then either titles, sound and effects tracks over them. If I am using video it is either shot in avchd or .mov 720p shot between two different cameras. I have noticed since using PD8 that when I try to render my clips in HD I am getting some ugly results, smartsound glitch and irregular video issues. I can almost never watch the preview window which is very annoying. I am using 4 gigs of ram in Vista 32 and I feel like this should be enough or do I need to bite the bullet and purchase more ram or look into Sony Vegas pro or maybe both.

I have always preferred the PD interface but also use Pinnacle 12 ultimate because there are some neat features there also. I need to use the preview window and will have to purchase something different if I cant figure this out, I could not imagine what would happen if I was using 5 pip tracks and 3 sound tracks.

I dont remember having this issue with PD7 but I dont think I was using as much effects such as chroma key and acvhd media prior either. Thanks for any help, Tom
Thanks Tony, I did in fact use chroma key and keyed out the the background and had no problem.

Thanks again for responding so quickly, Tom
I recently downloaded some lower thirds overlays and wanted to know if i can use these in PD8?

I am wondering if i can use one of the pip tracks to accomplish this or am i missing something?

i love the site and the software, i own pinnacle 12 ultimate also but I am finding I like to work with .mov files and in that regard I like my PD series better.

Thank you for a great product. Tom
Does anyone know where I can purchase a manual? I do not see anything online only the downloadable manual. Usually companies have a manual online for purchase. I would like to purchase one if possible. Thanks, Tom

Please amend your Profile to display a contact name. This post will be unlocked and this reminder removed once your Profile has been changed - thank you.
Dafydd
[Moderator]
Go to: