Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
They get started by the powerdvd process. You need to check taskmanager for the filenames. Then go into the correct place in the file system and rename/delete those files. That will remove the media error prompt. The refresh rate prompt still needs to be fixed by cyberlink, but fortunately that doesn't appear every time I insert a movie.
If you rename/delete the other running proccesses that PowerDVD start when you play a movie (they are in the powerdvd folder), the media server prompt will disappear. I think I wrote a better guide in one of the other threads, but the basic principle is that just powerdvd and powerdvd12 needs to be running for it to work. The other processes should all be called something along the lines of pdvd or powerdvd.
Have you tried installing anydvd hd? If it's related to a copy protection that might fix it.
oops i need to learn to read
I seem to recall that Star Wars has a special copy protection. I use anydvd hd to get around copy protections that prevent me from seeing my purchased movie and regional limitations. From what I am told it works wonders with Powerdvd, even when powerdvd stops being supported. It's not a free product, but so far worth it.
Quote: Are they starting when you start the program or are they starting at boot? You would be surprised at how many do.

1) You can use Windows msconfig - start up, uncheck the ones you don't want to make sure they don't start;
2) If you are not sure what is absolutely needed, download and run the free "Soluto" software. Stop all the no-brainers and be careful with the optional ones.

The processes he mentions are all started by PowerDVD at launch (program startup, not windows startup). I have been through exactly the same thing with my media PC (also trying to slim it down).
Quote:

HOW DO YOU DISABLE THESE? They do not show up in Component Services.
We don't want to keep manually turning them off in Task Manager every time we open PDVD.

PowerDVD12ML.exe
PowerDVD12Agent.exe
PowerDVD12DRMEngine.exe
PowerDVD.exe

Find them in your powerdvd folder (in program files) and rename them (or delete them). PowerDVD will start just fine and won't complain that they are missing. The media error you get by just following the steps you already did, will also disappear.
First of all, I understand your frustration. The people behind PowerDVD make the assumption that you need/want all the extra gimmicks they put in PowerDVD 12. I for one only need the movie playback feature, so I shortened the list a bit.

Here is what I did:

1) Go into registry and disable all PowerDVD related startup keys. If you are more comfortable using msconfig, by all means use this.
2) Disable all PowerDVD related services.

By now one would think one is home free, but as you stated, there is still an error stating that you cannot connect to the media server. This is where step 3 comes in

3) Start PowerDVD (and ignore the media server error). Fire up task manager and locate all processes related to PowerDVD (they usually have the text "PDVD" or "PowerDVD" in them. Do a file search in your program files\cyberlink folder for .exe. Rename all the .exe files you found in the task manager to something else (or delete them if you feel brave), except for "PowerDVD.exe", "PowerDVD12.exe", "PowerDVDCinema.exe" (i think that's the name) and some file called PDlaunch something... When you do this, the media error will go away and you will use a lot less resources playing movies in PowerDVD. Ofcourse you will have crippled all other functionality, but if you don't need it.. hey It works fine as a standard DVD/BD player even with the renames.

I hope this makes sense.

And about the multiple C++ libraries, don't worry about them. They use up a little space on your harddrive, but I am sure you got some to spare.
I use Eventghost to translate the remote input to the proper shortcuts in powerdvd.
I managed to solve the problem by installing a German product called cd-bremse, which enabled me to increase the spindown time to 20+ minutes.
I had an open support case for 9 days now, and so far they haven't been able to tell me anything except upgrade the software (which didn't help), upgrade the firmware of the drive (which already is upgraded to newest firmware). The issue is centered around drive spin down, but this hasn't been accepted or commented on at all for that matter. I must admit I don't have very high hopes of this getting resolved at all with the current pace

Everything works swell until the movie is paused long enough for the drive to spin down. After resuming playback the movie stutters for a short while, until the spin up is complete, then the rest of the movie plays fine. I was looking for a way to make PowerDVD behave like a normal bluray player, and simply resume playback I tried Media Player Classic Home Cinema (which does not support bluray java), and I get a nonstutter resume after drive playback, so I am concluding that my setup is capable of proper playback. If only there was some way of PowerDVD reading a few seconds ahead, so it could use a memory/harddrive buffer, when the drive was spinning up and then switch back. From what I gathered from browsing around the forum, a few others had the same issue as I am having. I am open to any kind of solution that would make the jerkiness disappear after a bathroom break. Even brief stuttering after resume of playback really ruins the movie illusion for me.
I managed to bungle up the cut and paste. Thought I had the link on the USB, but no. Anyways, I found a trial and a campaign folder in the powerdvd folder structure. I renamed them both and haven't seen the popup since.
I tested with Media Player Classic Home Cinema, and there is no "resume" judder with this player. Is there a way to adjust PowerDVDs read ahead buffer?
I know WinDVD supports extension of or disabling of optical drive spin down (to prevent judder when pausing the movie for more than the default timeout value of approx 2 min). Is there a way to get PowerDVD to keep the disc spinning for a longer period of time (at least 30 minutes). Alternatively, is there a tool that does this for Windows 7 64bit? (I'm fairly certain Nero Drivespeed doesn't work for win7 64bit).
Quote: Hi,
ok, thanks.
Please double check if this link is a real upgrade offer or link to available patches.

woudl be great if you could also forward the link to the ad page to me.

greeitngs
Michael

I checked manually in powerdvd and got the message that no updates were available. And I can't remember the exact wording, but the gist of it was powerdvd 12 ultra (which is what I already bought from you). I will click it next time it pops up and send you the link/resulting page uri.
Quote: Hi,
that shoudl not happen,
can you please help to get the following info:

1. current installed PDVD 12 Version (Full Version and SR [SR is NOT the CD-Key] and can be found in the about box)
2. the build you have upgraded from (e.g. 9)
3. was the original build OEM (pre-installed or bundled) or full retail version?

thanks for your support
Michael

1) I'll check this when I get home and post it here, but I am fairly sure it's the newest version, as the PC is fairly new itself.
2) I downloaded a trial for PowerDVD 12 and purchased a license after that. No upgrades from previous versions.
3) See 2.

The ad doesn't always pop up, just occasionally.
I'm also getting ads to purchase PowerDVD ultra. It's a popup in the lower right side of the screen.
No, I mean from the drive itself. The laser head would be my assumption. Sounds like its moving back and forth continously. Further testing shows the noise is drive related and not PowerDVD related. Oh well, guess the drive is either crappy or defective
I tried the search forum and apparently this issue was around in 2008. My problem is that I'm using the latest version of PowerDVD 12 Ultra, and I experience the same sweeping noises in Powerdvd during bluray playback. I haven't heard the sounds in Media Player Classic or TMT? Anyone else experience this and possible know of a workaround to get Powerdvd to stop "sweeping" the drive head? (and no, it's not spin noise).
Uninstall 11 and install 12?
Go to: