Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I appreciate the answers to this, but they don't really address my question.

I know the reasons for why DVDs can fail to play. I wasn't asking about that.

I know that there are BluRay disks, but they are essentially just a slightly enhanced kind of DVD.

The future is in streaming; just look where the younger element are going. It won't be long before they won't know what a DVD looks like; they already don't care about them.

Anyone with a reasonably powerful WiFi router can set up a DLNA media streaming setup for display of videos and other media on an HD TV, and it's far more flexible than DVDs or BluRay.

For example, here's one person's view on the future: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120821/19130920119/dvd-is-dying-hollywoods-plan-do-nothing-cede-ground-to-file-sharing.shtml

So, how will CyberLink and PowerDirector work in a future where DVDs and BluRay are no longer important? Not only is this important for CyberLink's future success (remember the buggy whip?), it's important for its customers, too.

It's not really a case of Android or Smart TVs or Roku not being able to show menus (although that may be the case right now). It's about someone coming up with a standard way to do it with streaming, and it has to be independent of what hardware or operating system I might use. NetFlix, Vudu, and the rest have their own menu systems, such as they are, but they are proprietary and incompatible. They solve the problem for their products; our home-produced videos need a solution, too.

So, is the simple answer that no one has done this yet? No one is planning to do this yet? If so, I'm amazed that something that would seem to be so obvious is waiting for someone to solve. Perhaps CyberLink could become a leader in this area? After all, surely there has to be something that replaces DVDs and BluRay in the streaming arena?
[Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I couldn't find another that was appropriate. Please feel free to move this to the proper forum, or tell me where to move it to.]

It's been clear for some time that DVDs are (eventually) on their way out. What brought this to a head in my mind was a recent attempt to show a video DVD at a Nursing Home, where the DVD gave problems and eventually wouldn't play. We plan to go back and finish showing the video, but I thought "How about I figure out what to use instead of a DVD, and thus avoid those issues of DVDs (or the player) failing".

So, then I thought I'd look into something to use instead of a DVD player, such as a Roku (or equivalent), with either built-in storage or a USB port from which I could play a video. (Using a WiFi wasn't on, and doesn't really solve the problem anyway, with my own videos.)

But then it occurred to me that, by moving away from a DVD, I'm also -- seemingly -- moving away from the ability to use a menu. I know I can simply manually choose different videos, but it's a lot clunkier than a DVD menu system, especially with the primitive remotes these things typically have.

So, here's the question: What would be appropriate to replace a DVD with, that would include a menu system roughly equivalent to what I would have with a DVD?

And, of course, how would PowerDirector help me to accomplish this? (Apologies if I'm missing something here...)

It would seem that the folks at CyberLink would be on top of this transition, with plans to produce a new version of their products with such support -- or at least asking the same questions.

Any wisdom to share?

Thanks!
RE: My support ticket at CyberLink on this topic:

So far, they suggested I download an executable, run it, and reboot. They didn't say what this executable was supposed to do. Regardless, it didn't fix the problem.

Then, they suggested (in rather strange language) that I update to the PowerDirector 10 build 1424c, which PowerDirector 10 was suggesting anyway. I downloaded the file, installed it, and (just to be sure), rebooted. I verified that the update had succeeded, but the Rich Video problem is still there.

Sigh!
Thanks everyone!

I've submitted a ticket to CyberLink, so I hope I will hear back soon. I'll post back here what I hear from them.
Actually, I have both V9 and V10 on my Windows 7 machine, and inadvertently started up V9 a while ago. It *did* have the same Rich Text dialog problem, too.

Whatever that might mean...
I, too, am seeing this, using PowerDirector 10 on Windows 7 64 bit.

(PowerDirector Ultra 10.0.0.1129b)

I'm attaching an image of the message box that comes up every time I run PowerDirector. In other words, it's not a one-time thing.

I checked, and the Cyberlink RichVideo 64 service is present, started, and set to autostart.

This is annoying, and worrisome that things might not actually be working properly.

I just updated to PowerDirector Ultra64 9.0.0.3305 using the update link that came up when I started PowerDirector.

Things may have improved. I'll have to spend more time with it to find out...
[Dafydd Bevan's post]

Hi bryanhiggs,
Please start a new topic and include all the information related to your issue. the current heading of this thread was started by another and your content is a different matter.

New topic link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?modul...osts&action=insert&forum_id=67

CyberLink would like you to list your issue, the stages you take to bring up your problem, please list and take screenshots.

thank you.

Forum Moderator.
[Also from Rocket-Scientist]

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/15459.page

this is the only discussion i found on CES_IPCagent ...
seems to be related to SmartSound, by any chance did the video you had under the title have a smartsound track?
WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT [SP1]
GIGABYTE 770TA-UD3 MB
PHENOM II X4 (3.0GHZ) 16 GB DDR3
NVIDIA 560GTX [1GB] 280.56 WHQL
2X 2TB SATA III, 2X 1TB SATA II
500GB SATA II, 350GB 10K RPM SYSTEM
PD9 ULTRA64 9.0.0.3305
[Another helpful response from Rocket-Scientist]

with the added memory, i suspect it is not you Intel video.

What kind of video clip was the title overlaying? (color board, part of the edited video, or special "clip art")

You may have a corrupted .pds file, which has "lost" a pointer to something critical to the title. A filename changed or moved to new location, or overwritten by another type of file.
GIGABYTE 770TA-UD3 MB
PD9 ULTRA64 9.0.0.3305
Well, I'm now at 8Gb of main RAM. My laptop is noticeably more responsive, in general.

However, PD9 still won't bring up the Edit Title dialog on that title I want to change in that project. I even removed the title, added another one in its place, and tried to edit it, and still it hangs.

And I'm starting to accumulate those CES_IPCAgent.exe processes again. I just blew away about 5 of them.

If it's the Intel HD graphics, I don't know what to do about that. I doubt it it, because I've created multiple similarly sized projects on this machine in the past, and not encountered this level of problem.

Can someone PLEASE help me?

Thanks!
I'm not sure whether this is related, but I just noticed that there are around 40 instances of CES_IPCAgent.exe running on my system, and PowerDirector isn't running. I note in another forum/note that others have discovered a number of such instances running on their systems, but there didn't seem to be any resolution to the problem.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance...
[My response to Rocket-Scientist]

Thanks, Rocket-scientist!

I just ordered a memory upgrade to 8Gb, which should improve matters in that area. We'll see when it arrives and I've installed it.

Not sure what if anything I can do about the Intel HD video. Do they typically allow video cards to be added to laptops?

By the way, I tried to do a search for information about problems with Intel HD video, looking for potential solutions, and couldn't find anything recent or useful. Can you give me any more specific pointers? Thanks!
[Here is a helpful response from Rocket-Scientist]

Bryan,

There are several topics on problems with the newer Intel onboard or integrated graphics and video editing, not just with PD9, but no denying PD9 does also.

IF you are editing HD, your video system could be a problem ... you have 4 GB of memory, 1.7GB of that memory is "shared" ie used by video card, that does not leave a lot for OS plus editor.
GIGABYTE 770TA-UD3 MB
PD9 ULTRA64 9.0.0.3305
Again, FWIW, I've turned off graphics acceleration (there were two places where I interpreted that; I turned them both off). No observable change.

I also tried using your suggested NoSleepHD2.0v. I had to run it with Administrator privileges, otherwise it just hung. But when I ran it and set up the no sleep option, it had no observable effect.

Not sure what to try next...
FWIW, I captured the details from the 'PowerDirector is not responding' dialog:
Dafydd asked me to re-post a series of posts I'd made before, under a new topic. I hope that means that someone can give me some help on this issue!

The original posts were in a forum series entitled "Powerdirector Update patch 2930_GM5_Patch_VDE110516-02 Crashing and Hangs"

I'll post my first one here, and then post subsequent ones, as replies to this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am encountering serious hanging problems with PowerDirector Ultra64 9.0.0.2930 (i.e. with this patch applied -- as far as I can tell, there are no later patches). The problems have been getting worse over time; at this point, I bring up the project in PowerDirector and try to edit a title, and it doesn't respond. Eventually, I click, get the little whirling windows mouse icon and when I click again I get the usual dialog box telling me 'PowerDirector is not responding'.

I have also found recently that using the mouse to create a progressive audio fade (or the opposite) in the audio track of my videos in the video track on the timeline will also cause a similar hang. Both of these were readily reproducible -- the attempt to edit the title *always* causes a hang.

At this point, I am dead in the water and unless you can help me to overcome this problem, I will have to seek alternative solutions -- which I don't want to do, because I like the features of PD9.

I have checked that I have the latest drivers for my video card (Intel HD) on the Intel web page pointed to in these forums. It turns out that I have a custom driver supplied with my Sony laptop, and Intel can't update anything. I have the latest driver according to Sony.

I attach an image of the 'PowerDirector is not responding' dialog box, and the two requested diagnostics files. Providing a screen shot of my Powerdirector interface doesn't seem useful; I have a lot of still photos, video clips, titles, etc. Also, it's not clear to me that attempting to create a simple project to reproduce the problems would be useful, or even possible. However, if there's anything else you would find useful, I'd be happy to try to supply it/them. I'm motivated to overcome this problem, as it's getting old very quickly, and I cannot make any further progress using PD9 without a fix.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for anything you can do to help!

Regards

Bryan

Well, I'm now at 8Gb of main RAM. My laptop is noticeably more responsive, in general.

However, PD9 still won't bring up the Edit Title dialog on that title I want to change in that project. I even removed the title, added another one in its place, and tried to edit it, and still it hangs.

And I'm starting to accumulate those CES_IPCAgent.exe processes again. I just blew away about 5 of them.

If it's the Intel HD graphics, I don't know what to do about that. I doubt it it, because I've created multiple similarly sized projects on this machine in the past, and not encountered this level of problem.

Can someone PLEASE help me?

Thanks!
I'm not sure whether this is related, but I just noticed that there are around 40 instances of CES_IPCAgent.exe running on my system, and PowerDirector isn't running. I note in another forum/note that others have discovered a number of such instances running on their systems, but there didn't seem to be any resolution to the problem.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance...

FWIW, I created a "minidump" from one of these instances, and attach it here...
Thanks, Rocket-scientist!

I just ordered a memory upgrade to 8Gb, which should improve matters in that area. We'll see when it arrives and I've installed it.

Not sure what if anything I can do about the Intel HD video. Do they typically allow video cards to be added to laptops?

By the way, I tried to do a search for information about problems with Intel HD video, looking for potential solutions, and couldn't find anything recent or useful. Can you give me any more specific pointers? Thanks!
Go to: