Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Actually, no it's not, as shown here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/16002.page#83035
I still experience at least once every other day, and I have NO extra plugins in WMC. The workaround works every time but it's only TEMPORARY. This is an ongoing issue...
Yes, this only fixes it for a short while. I didn't even restart, just kept working on other stuff, and a few hours later when I tried to watch a blu ray in WMC, I got the same problem. Double clicking the MCL file fixes it every time, but again, it's only a TEMPORARY fix...
Quote: Hello,

the Hardware acceleration is mandatory for Blu-Ray playback in case the driver can support it.
There are no plans so far to change the current behavior

BR
Michael

The point is it SHOULD NOT BE, whether or not the driver supports it. Hardware acceleration often makes video much worse - I NEVER use it, nor have I needed to use it. It is NOT MANDATORY with Arcsoft TMT 5 (which I now use). It is NOT MANDATORY with Nero MediaHUB, it is NOT MANDATORY with Roxio BD Cineplayer. I can't speak for WinDVD, since I haven't used that unstable mess since Corel took it over.

The point is: picture quality was one of the benefits of using PowerDVD, despite the fact you took away features because of pressure from Hollywood and forced features because of pressure from Sony. To put it simply, you used to be the best, IMO, but you have compromised yourselves because of loss of sales -- and these compromises will only make matters worse because they're costing you customer confidence as well.
With these FORCED settings the Blu-Ray picture quality is inferior to other options, it is grainy and pixelated in everything except bright scenes - that's the bottom line. So if, as you say, there are no plans so far to change the current behavior, then I have no plans to keep PowerDVD on my system or to return to it in the future.
No, that doesn't help. As it says:

Scenario 2:
The TrueTheater function is not available during Blu-ray Disc playback.

So it's not possible to disable Hardware Acceleration in favor of TrueTheater function because TrueTheater function is not available for Blu-ray playback anyway.

I always have Hardware Acceleration unchecked (for regular DVD playback) but if I try to watch Blu-Ray movie, then Hardware Acceleration becomes enabled automatically. It's very frustrating, and is making me have to abandon PowerDVD which I've used for years -- but now they're forcing settings that Sony insists on to make Blu-ray more playable on slow machines.
But NOT everybody has slow machines -- Cyberlink should have the courage to stand up to Sony and give users a CHOICE to use Hardware Acceleration or not. It's bad enough Hollywood convinced Cyberlink to not support playback for ripped Blu-Ray folders (unlike Arcsoft which does support Blu-Ray folder playback) but does Cyberlink have to be TOTAL cowards?
Otherwise Arcsoft is just going to keep taking away former PowerDVD users.
I have a fast gaming machine and haven't needed to use hardware acceleration for ANY form of video in years. Arcsoft TMT 3 allows you to uncheck hardware acceleration for Blu-ray playback, Nero MediaHub allows you to uncheck hardware acceleration for Blu-ray playback, so why not PowerDVD10?

The reason is dark scenes look very poor and grainy when hardware acceleration is enabled. With no hardware acceleration, Blu-ray picture looks MUCH better.

Is there any way to disable hardware acceleration permanently for Blu-Ray? Otherwise will just have to use Arcsoft for all Blu-ray watching...
The 'Force Bob' settings are not used in Cinema Mode -- there is visible deinterlacing in Cinema Mode when watching older dvds, but in classical mode, picture is perfect.
Maybe a registry tweak?
Two options that are easily done in PowerDVD 10 Classic mode but not In Cinema mode --

1. Force Bob video mode (which gives much superior picture for episodic television DVDs)
2. Always start movie from beginning

Is there any way to make these changes in Cinema Mode? Thanks in advance.
Memo to Cyberlink -- it's 2010, people.
It is NOT difficult to play a Blu-Ray disc with aero enabled. NOT AT ALL. Unless you have some truly piece of junk budget machine with integrated graphics (although even the latest Intel and Nvidia and Ati motherboard graphics are actually quite capable) playing a Blu-Ray disc with Aero enabled is VERY EASY.

I understand Hollywood has bullied you into disabling Blu-ray folder playback (but there are ways around that, thankfully) and Sony has bullied you in the past into disabling Aero to make Blu-ray playback more sustainable on as many machines as possible. But seriously, you guys need to grow a pair.

With that said, I was initially very pleased to see that the latest patch does allow the ‘Maintain Aero during Playback’ to work as it should. Before now, that option only worked in a Windows Vista environment, for some reason.

But it works only for playback on desktop version of PowerDVD 10.

I’ve discovered that if you leave Aero enabled and you try to play a Blu-Ray disc OR DVD in Windows Media Center, the screen freezes on the loading screen. Every time.
But if I check the ‘Allow PowerDVD to disable Aero’ option, then playback is fine. Apparently, PowerDVD 10 on desktop CAN playback Blu-ray discs with Aero enabled -- but PowerDVD 10 in Windows Media Center CANNOT start with Aero enabled.

This makes no sense. This is obviously a bug.
For the love of God, allow Aero to be maintained in ALL aspects of playback, in desktop mode (already working) and in Media Center mode (non-working).
Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre 5 allows Aero during playback in both desktop mode and Media Center mode. It’s not that difficult, for god’s sake.

That’s all.

Go to: