Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blu-ray loading gets stuck randomly?
tyhfhfbft [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2010 05:34 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
About four times out of five when I try to load a Blu-ray movie in PowerDVD the disc loading bar gets stuck at a random percentage (sometimes 4%, sometime 16% etc.)

I then have to Ctrl Alt Delete out of the program and try again to load the disc. Eventually after around five tries or more the loading bar will go all the way and the disc will load fine.

This happens on all versions of PowerDVD I have tried (including the latest trial, and also on two different Blu-ray drives.)

But.... ArcSoft Total Media Theatre software doesn't have this issue at all. every Blu-ray disc loads first time, every time.

Why would this be?

Thank you.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

CybeLink is investigating this issue.

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
JohnnyW [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 24, 2010 16:52 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I get this at often on loading at about 95%, but only if I have turned off the NVidia hardware acceleration in the PowerDVD 9 Ultra options dialog, video tab.

Why am I turning it off? Because PowerDVD 9 Ultra stutters from time to time during Bluray playback if this is turned on. I am using Windows 7 and the latest PowerDVD patch and NVidia driver. I never had this issue with the original build of PowerDVD 9 Ultra.
aaw [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2010 13:46 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi.

I am too facing the same issue.

By turning off Hardware acceleration, Nvidia Pure Video I can see the BD disk Startrek (latest movie).

My video cars is Gforce GTX 260 and driver seems to be 8.17.11.9621 date 11/jan 2010.

Looks like a problem between PowerDVD and the latest Nvidia driver.

Andre
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Dear aaw,

can you please clarify if you playback from physical BD or not.

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
aaw [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

Playback is from a Blu-ray DVD (Startrek) so I guess it is a physical BD (sorry for bad English).

What I see is that the Popup "loading bluray disc" progress bar stops at 99% and never ends. Looking in the task manager I can see no CPU activity or very little. Also, I noticed it takes quite a long time to get to 99% especially comparing when I turned off hardware acceleration. With HW OFF, the progress (loading DVD) goes very quick.

I have also posted a ticket through my Cyberlink member account to support reporting the issue.

Andre
[Post New]
Dear aaw,

the reason for my question was the described "By turning off Hardware acceleration, Nvidia Pure Video" - because normally DXVA should be enabled by default and cannot be disabled while BD playback.

So I wonder why you are able to disbale DXVA in BD playback mode.

Does your system also contain AnyDVD HD?

Br
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2010 11:52

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
aaw [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

see the attached screen shot of the settings.

I have not installed AnyDVD HD (not intentionally... if so, give me a hint howto find that out as it does not show under Windows programs inventory).

Andre
[Thumb - settings.jpg]
 Filename
settings.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
396 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2010 12:18

Gregory [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 26, 2010 19:53 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Since upgrading to Windows 7 64 bit I've also been having problems.

First I had Bit Defender total security 2010 installed, which caused all BD's to pop a region box and lock Power DVD. After uninstalling BitDefender this went away.

Then the BD's would freeze while loading. If, before starting the BD I disable Hardware Acceleration, then play the BD, the disk loads quickly and completely. If I look in settings while the BD is playing it is set back for hardware acceleration. If I close PowerDVD 9 Ultra and open it again with harware accel on, then the BD will freeze while loading again.

Not sure what I'm going to do here. Kind of need BitDefender.
tyhfhfbft [Avatar]
[Post New]
Can't seem to load blu-rays at all now in PowerDVD... get stuck at 64% (or some other random percentage)

Sometimes a blu-ray disc will start straight away though (not at the moment.)

I do have Any-DVD HD running also... but I need to use that.

But like I said, it must be PowerDVD at fault here as Arcsoft Total Media Theatre has no problem loading blu-rays (not that that software actually plays them very well.)

I have tried stopping all background programs also...

What could be causing this?

tyhfhfbft [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is PowerDVD programed to spin a blu-ray disc up and scan it before playing in some kind of way?

I think the disc doesn't spin up with PowerDVD for long enough, so it ends up not loading all the way.

I have noticed with ArcSoft Media Theatre that when loading a Blu-Ray the discs spins faster and for longer on startup of the disc.

Thoughts?

aaw [Avatar]
[Post New]
I received a reply from Cyberlink support after the problem was debugged.

The problem was that I had installed Elby virtualclone drive and it seems like there is some form of incompatibility.
http://www.elby.ch/fun/software/index.html

I uninstalled it and I can play Startrek bluray without any problem again.

tyhfhfbft [Avatar]
[Post New]
Makes you wonder just how many other programs have issues with PowerDVD.

Is there a list or something?