Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector Stops Working (Crashes) On Startup
MeMyselfAndPi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 20, 2009 22:19 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Up until now, PowerDirector 8 has been working fine. But now, when I try to load it up, I get the Windows error message half way through the load saying that PowerDirector has stopped working. I've already tried reinstalling it, but it still occurs. The only remotely related thing I did before this happened is I uninstalled a few Apple (I can't stand Mac software! ) programs from the Programs & Features section on Control Panel. But I don't see how it relates. But maybe I uninstalled something I wasn't supposed to by accident?

I'm using Windows Vista 32 bit. If anyone needs any more information to pin point the problem, just let me know what kind & I'll provide it.

- Thanks
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
In removing the software you may have deleted shared files/drivers.

Was one of the programs QuickTime? It's essential to the running of PD8.

Solution...? Ahhhhh the 64 million dollar question.

Drastic solution - reinstall your OS.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Try re-installing QT. PD might still pick up the missing drivers etc. If not try uninstalling PD and then re-install to allow it to pick up the QT stuff.

If that works - $32,000,000 to my PayPal account - cheaper than Dafydd.

As Dafydd says you may have also uninstalled other shared resources so ....

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2010 04:36

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
MeMyselfAndPi [Avatar]
[Post New]
Grr. Mac software to run PowerDirector?!

But anyway, I reinstalled Quicktime & now PowerDirector is running fine. Thanks for you help. & yes, I know, my aggression against Mac's is childish
MeMyselfAndPi [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ugh, I some how double posted...

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 18. 2010 16:00

MeMyselfAndPi [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, now I've noticed I've been having trouble opening .avi files. In every kind of player I try to use (WMP, WMM, Real Player, Quick Time, PD, etc...), they always crash. Is it possible I uninstalled some else that would cause this problem? I know this doesn't have much to do with PD, but since I've already created this thread, I thought I might ask. If no one knows, I'll try a different forum site.

I know it's just this computer because those same files, (which are on an external hard drive) works fine on another computer.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
In that case might be worthwhile installing/updating/reinstalling ffdshow, just use the defaults, and see if it "replaces" anything missing??

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
MeMyselfAndPi [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nope, didn't work. I still can't get the videos to play. I even tried K-Lite Codec_Pack_561_Mega.exe & I still get the problem.

I have noticed a few things. The videos actually do play in Quick Time, but the quality is low (that's normal). Also, some of my .avi do work, but other important ones don't. As long as the problem persists, I can't edit the .avi files on this computer in PowerDirector.

Any other suggestions?

Update:
lol, well this kind of makes me laugh. I just saw that the new patch was out now. I installed it & now I can play/edit my AVI files again! But WMP, WMM, & Real Player still crash on me, so the problem still persists. But at least I can edit again!

Oh, & am I working on the problem on another forum site:
http://www.moviecodec.com/video-codecs/avi-files-crash-most-video-players-80504/#msg2745774

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 20. 2010 13:25