Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The 21% Club
Craig [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2009 11:42 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Anyone aware of what this program is doing at the mystical 21% point of burning?

I've got one particular project that I've never been able to burn (to my hdisk or a DVD), and it always fails at 21%.

Sometimes, I get the standard:

"Burning Unsuccessful

Possible Causes:

Transcoding engine's front end stream error might be due to:
1. Broken or missing source file
2. Out of system memory"

But, more times than not, the program will hang at 21%, then instantly display a "Burning successful" message. When I check the output VIDEO_TS folder, all that's there is a zero byte VTS_01_1.VOB file.

I think I've tried just about everything I could find in this forum to remedy this issue, yet I still can't get around it. The latter issue seems like a new one, anyone else experiencing it?
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Craig,

Fantastic title to the thread!

Up to 21% is when the menus are being encoded I believe. It's then that the encoding of you edited video begins, which is where your problem lies. Try this workaround:

1. Add your video files to the timeline and edit as before;
2. Click on the 'Produce' tab and produce your work to a file that matches your required final output to dvd/blu-ray exactly;
3. Go back to the 'Edit' tab - this newly created file of your work should now be in the library;
4. Remove all the clips on the timeline and replace with your newly produced file. Check the newly produced file for any encoding errors;
5. Add chapter markers if required;
6. Select 'Create Disc' and select settings that match the file of your produced work in part 2.
7. Burn disc

For this to work you must have exactly the same settings in Part 2 as in Part 6.

This basically gets the encoding out the way before the final burn. That way, there is less stress on your PC plus any encoding errors can be picked up before burning.

Hope this helps!

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Craig [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Andrew, and thanks much for the reply.

Now it's crashing at 1% with the error:

"Burning Unsuccessful

Possible Causes:

Transcoding engine's front end stream error might be due to:
1. Broken or missing source file
2. Out of system memory"

I was watching memory usage closely during the burn, and there was about 1.2gb of RAM free when it crashed.

The menu itself previews just fine. I haven't tried watching the entire video, but I don't think there's a problem there since it's crashing so early in the burn process now, plus the two .mpg files involved produced with no problem whatsoever.

Any other ideas? Thanks again for your help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2009 12:00

Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
What format did you produce in, in the 'Produce' module? Can I suggest MPEG2, DVDHQ, with the same settings in 'Create Disc'?

Someone on here tried to Produce an avi file and it was only when he changed to MPEG2 it worked!

Cheers

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Craig [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep, I used MPEG-2 and DVD-HQ for both produce and create.

Frustrating stuff, to be sure.

Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
What are your source files? All from the same camera?

Cheers,

Craig [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yessir, they're all .MOD files from a JVC Everio camcorder. I just got PD8 a few days ago, and have made three other DVD's using the same type of files with zero issues.

I know this is a real stumper, I've been at trying to figure out what's wrong with this particular project on and off for a few days now. It may come down to picking through clips one-by-one, or splitting it up into multiple smaller project files.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions, thanks again.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 16. 2009 14:11

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
You need to simplify the process and isolate the variable that is causing the problem. First reload the clip form the camera and try to burn that file by itself. If successful, now perform the editing and try to burn that without using a menu. If successful, then try adding the menu.

If this all works then it sounds like you may have a corrupted video file that caused the original problem.

Here's a related thread:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8321.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2009 16:21

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Often, if you produce the video and then bring it back in as a new project and only add chapters is the best to minimize these chapter/menu burn issues. For some reason it appears chapters and menus in a complex edit project is prone to issues with many versions of PD (6, 7, 8 and probably beyond!)

I recently had a project burn okay. I then added some auto lighting correction on a few static pictures near the end of the project and I could not burn a dvd or dvd folder after that edit. It crashed at 26%, however the pics were at about 95% of the project timeline. Remove the auto lighting adjustment on the pics, it would burn again. I got the typical slight hang at ~25%, then instantly display a "Burning successful" message, however, the DVD folder was empty.

The only solution that worked for me with this auto lighting correction was to produce to a file, bring back in as a new project, and add chapters and burn again. I should mention if I deleted all the chapters and left the lighting correction, that too burnt successfully. So, it's not necessarily a bad pic or video, it appears to be a combination of factors that make things difficult.

Jeff
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
The 'Produce First' workaround I mentioned above has always been very useful, thanks James!

The 'Create Disc' module encodes and burns simultaneously, and I think this can cause issues - it certainly has for me on occasions! Other packages actually encode the entire project to a temp file/folder before burning in their 'Create Disc' equivalents, and I can't help think that if this process was added to the PD8 'Create Disc' module, the 21% club might have considerably less members!

This is, as we all know, what we're actually doing by producing first. It's effective but can be a hassle. It's far easier adding chapters to the timeline when you can clearly see where one clip ends and the other begins, but very fiddly when you are navigating your way through one solid clip as you have to with the produce first workaround. Especially, like me, when alot of the editing you are doing is of your 1 year old son and there are lots of short clips!

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2009 18:24

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Andrew, I think I’d have to disagree. Your statement is correct for how PD8 functions, however, that was not true for PD6. PD6 created a scratch area (Jmwxxx.tmp folders) and then wrote the DVD VOB files there while PD went through what they called the “Producing Titles” phase. The PD6 behavior was rather obvious as NO burn activity to DVD would start until the project was near 50% complete, at this time writing of the VOB files in the Jmwxxx.tmp folder would be finished and then burnt to the DVD and PD6 would delete the folders.

Why point out this old history, if you ask me, the user community has seen no stellar difference between, PD6, PD7 and PD8 as far as burn issues go so for PD it has not been a burn as you go or burn last issue as they have actually had it both ways.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2009 01:38

Craig [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks much again for everyone's advice. I attempted to isolate the problem a bit more this morning, and here's the results so far:

Here are the two .pds files involved:

1) 1964mb/30 min 11 sec, 5 min chapters
2) 551mb/8 min 7 sec, 2 min chapters

First, I tried burning each of these separately with no menu.

PDS #1 bombs with a "Burning successful" message and a zero byte VTS_01_1.VOB file in the VIDEO_TS folder.

PDS #2 burns with no issues.

Then, I attempted to add a simple menu to PDS #2, and it fails in the same manner as PDS #1 above.

I'll keep at it and let you know what fixes the issue, if I can ever find the problem.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Try this with both clips.

Drop your video file into the timeline and render that to an MPEG2 file using the HQ profile. Now start a new project and use the previously rendered mpeg2 file as your source video. If your intended project is a DVD you should not have much (if any) additional quality loss when you make your final version. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Andrew - Wales, UK
[Post New]
Thanks for your comment Jeff, my experience only stretches from PD7!

I'm not disagreeing with you, there always will burn issues that users experience caused by many different things.

My point was, if there was an encode then burn approach in the create disc module, some of these issues would be resolved.

James was the person who gave me the produce first workaround, and I've passed it onto others, with a 50:50 success rate.

The way I see it, it would mean a few less people tearing their hair out.

Simultaneous encoding and burning to me is far more open to potential problems, particularly when creating a disc as opposed to producing to folders, and I've experienced that first hand until the blu-ray folders option was re-activated! What a happy day that was!

Regards,

Craig [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, just to close this out...

I had fade effects between each clip on both projects, almost all of which I removed. After that, I was able to burn each project individually using no menu.

After that was done, I rebuilt the menu from scratch, and for whatever reason that seemed to fix the problems I was previously having there. I wanted to place a "bloom" effect on the menu image, but that was still running me out of memory so I just skipped doing that.

I'm happy to finally have this project done, but it's a bummer not to be able to use whatever features I want due to these out of memory errors. Is this some sort of memory leak bug, or would throwing more RAM into this PC take care of the problem? The machine is running an Intel Core 2 Duo @2.67ghz/4mb cache, with 2gb of RAM and a 4gb swap area defined.

Thanks again for all the help guys, much appreciated.
James W
[Post New]
What operating system are you using? XP and Vista (32 bit) can use up to 3 GB of Ram. I have 4 GB installed and do not have these errors. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Craig [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm running 32 bit XP, and am aware of the 3gb addressability limit.

I'd go ahead and add another 1gb DIMM, but the problem is I only have what seems to be an Alienware part number that's not on their web site anymore, and I can't find it on the Patriot web site or elsewhere in Google.

Two 1gb "Patriot" DIMMS, labeled:
DDR2
AW000096
MEM-DDR21GBPC64AW96
D9GMH

Guess I could invest in 3gb worth of new RAM, but I'd obviously rather just buy one which is compatible with the DIMMs above for a total of 3gb.

I know this is getting way off the thread's original topic but, any ideas on how to translate Alienware part numbers into OEM part numbers?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2009 11:05

JEAN-SEBASTI [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 07, 2009 12:38 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah hello guys, i have the same problem, my AVCHD folder stop burning at 21 %.
Someone has an easy solution because i don't like using MPEG4 production because i don't want to compress my video (full HD AVCHD)

regards

jaystee
BRIAN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2009 23:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Okay,...I had the EXACT same problem.....

I got rid of the menus,.... and I then joined the "1% club".

I tried to make a dvd of just the nature.mpg,...no transitions,...no menu,...NOTHING,...and it wouldn't burn the disc to the drive (after wrecking 8-9 blank dvds...i tried to JUST write to the hard drive)

Continued to say "Burn Successful"

When I check the output VIDEO_TS folder, all that's there is a zero byte VTS_01_1.VOB file.

I then installed ccleaner (read something about it in another post) ran it once,.....and now it seems to be working fine. WTF! Anyway,...hope this helps someone else. This really is nice software,...when it works.

-b
 Filename
BRIANJACKSONDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
696 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2009 00:03