Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows's Win10 HEVC encoder vs Cyberlink's
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
I started to encode a video into h.265 for the first time of a new install of PD15 and got a message from Cyberlink that I had to do a one time activation for the codec over the Internet. (I had my firewall turned off at the time.) This was for the ,mkv container, if it matters. (As opposed to h.265 in .mp4.)

Okay. But I had downloaded Microsoft's free HEVC codec from the Store before this.

I had been told in a competitor's forum that their Editor uses Microsoft's HEVC if you've downloaded it.

Doesn't PD use MS's HEVC codec if you have it? I am using PD15, but asking in the PD18 forum. That is, maybe it's a PD15 thing?

Not a big deal. Just curious.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
That MS free codec is from Device manufacturer. The one from MS cost 99 cents. Look at the differece in the specs. I am sure that Cyberlink has to pay for each codec licence that each user require so not activating it for users that don't need it saves them money. It is the same with Pinnacle. Since Cyberlink advertised faster encoding over the competitors in the past, that could mean the particular codec is better developed and worth more.
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
That could be it. Or it could be that PD15 came out before the Win10 Creator's update, where the HEVC encoder was installed. (?)

As for the difference between the paid HEVC and the free one, the web sites that steered me on to the free one said that they were the same. But I didn't look at specs to confirm that.