360 Start View" /> Keyframe a 360 video to reset the "forward view" mid-video? similar to Tools -> 360 Start View
Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Keyframe a 360 video to reset the "forward view" mid-video? similar to Tools -> 360 Start View
mmerlin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 21, 2019 17:00 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Is there any way to to add something like a keyframe to a 360 video, which resets the metadata (X Y Z rotations) so that I can reset the "forward view" of 360 footage in mid-video?

i.e. basically the same thing as Tools -> 360 Start View, except I want to do this multiple times during one video.

The reason is, using Insta360 camera, I can render a 360 Video using "Flowstate Stabilization" which gives me very smooth video, except the "forward" direction never changes.

Using PowerDirector 18, I can change the "360 Start View" which is useful, however during the footage I need to re-orient the "forward view" of the 360 video many times.

Currently I am cutting and cloning the video to a new clip with a brand new "360 Start View", however this method is quite jumpy and unsatisfying.

It would be fantastic if I could add a keyframe with the new X Y Z setting, and the rendered 360 video can have it's "front view" updated.

My source video is equirectangular 3840 x 1920, but the Insta360 "flowstate stabilization" method of rendering requires me to update the "front view" metadata many many times in the course of one video to create any kind of satisfactory result.

Does anyone else have this same problem, and is there any easier way to solve it, by updating the metadata X Y Z view mid-video?

Important: the final video must remain a full 360 video (in my case equirectangular, and using an appropriate playback viewer)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2019 19:11

AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Nope, Powerdirector doesn't have this for 360 and probably won't ever add it because it goes against the point of the freedom of 360 video. Especailly for users who would be viewing the video with a VR headset. Spinning the video direction automatically mid video would be very disorienting.

Your work around is the only way to do what you want.

Ash
mmerlin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 21, 2019 17:00 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Ash for confirming that PowerDirector currently does not currently have this feature.

Hopefully PowerDirector will consider this Feature Request for an upcoming version upgrade.

i.e.

Clone the "360 Start View" metadata functionality to keyframes, allowing adjustment of X Y Z rotation metadata on any keyframe in a 360 video (and as a bonus, with a smooth panning function to the new X Y Z view would be excellent)

This featureis ideal for the project I'm working on. We are just at the beginning of a multi-year project which begins rollout next week to the first five end-user sites (with dozens of presales in the pipeline, and hundreds more expected over the next few years).

We are not using VR headsets, but playing 360 video on a TV.

The user presses the "walk" button on a controller, and our javascript 360 video player automatically re-sets the X Y Z back to whatever the default "forward view" is encoded in the metadata, and the video plays.

The only time the user is allowed to pan/tilt the view and look around the 360 image is after they have pressed the "stop" button, and the video is paused on a single equirectangular frame, and then they can look around.

When they press the play button again, the video will re-center the X Y Z back to wherever the current "front direction" was set in the metadata during PowerDirector video editing.

The ability in PowerDirector to add a keyframe to a 360 video, and change the "forward view" metadata (X Y Z rotation) is a feature I would gladly welcome in a future upgrade.

P.S. If anyone knows about any other software that might allow adding multiple X Y Z metadata settings in the middle of a 360 video then please share your knowledge.
Quagmi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2013 05:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Ash for confirming that PowerDirector currently does not currently have this feature.

Hopefully PowerDirector will consider this Feature Request for an upcoming version upgrade.

i.e.

Clone the "360 Start View" metadata functionality to keyframes, allowing adjustment of X Y Z rotation metadata on any keyframe in a 360 video (and as a bonus, with a smooth panning function to the new X Y Z view would be excellent)

This featureis ideal for the project I'm working on. We are just at the beginning of a multi-year project which begins rollout next week to the first five end-user sites (with dozens of presales in the pipeline, and hundreds more expected over the next few years).

We are not using VR headsets, but playing 360 video on a TV.

The user presses the "walk" button on a controller, and our javascript 360 video player automatically re-sets the X Y Z back to whatever the default "forward view" is encoded in the metadata, and the video plays.

The only time the user is allowed to pan/tilt the view and look around the 360 image is after they have pressed the "stop" button, and the video is paused on a single equirectangular frame, and then they can look around.

When they press the play button again, the video will re-center the X Y Z back to wherever the current "front direction" was set in the metadata during PowerDirector video editing.

The ability in PowerDirector to add a keyframe to a 360 video, and change the "forward view" metadata (X Y Z rotation) is a feature I would gladly welcome in a future upgrade.

P.S. If anyone knows about any other software that might allow adding multiple X Y Z metadata settings in the middle of a 360 video then please share your knowledge.

I am desperate for this to become an option too - I have a GoPro MAX, which has had a drifting problem that could be fixed using the method mentioned above... On my longer videos it's really noticable that the footage slowly tilts on the horizon.

I have updated the firmware a few times, and now I have the problem of the footage slowly turning on the x axis when using "World Lock"! At the start of my 8 minute long clip, the video is facing forward, but by the end of it, it has spun a full 180 degrees...

If I could set the starting position, and then use a keyframe at the end of the footage to correct the spinning/drifting, that would be amazing. (I wouldn't need to do this if the camera worked correctly in the first place though!)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
They only way you can force someone to come back to a particular viewpoint in a full 360° video is to cut the clip on the timeline and then set a new starting view. You can do this with a transition, which can smooth the (potential) position shift or you can clearly bring it to the viewer's attention.

If you want to show the viewer a specific "route" through your video, you'd want to produce to normal 2d video while using keyframes to keep the interesting scences and objects visible.
Quagmi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2013 05:44 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote They only way you can force someone to come back to a particular viewpoint in a full 360° video is to cut the clip on the timeline and then set a new starting view. You can do this with a transition, which can smooth the (potential) position shift or you can clearly bring it to the viewer's attention.

If you want to show the viewer a specific "route" through your video, you'd want to produce to normal 2d video while using keyframes to keep the interesting scences and objects visible.

Thank you for your reply - I did find another way to fix the "spin drift". I turned off the 360 view and placed the video on the timeline, I then used start and ending keyframes to shift the video horizontally, keeping the original centre point in the middle of the screen.

I then added a duplicate video on track 2, and set its starting keyframe offscreen, but touching the edge of the video in track 1. Next, I added the ending keyframe to finish still touching the edge of track 1 (which would now be offscreen) as it moved horizontally.

I then rendered the video in 360.

This workaround does the job, but does leave a slightly noticable stitch line. It wouldn't work for "horizon drift" though.