Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Eric Maytas website
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Reference: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47162.page .

I went to Eric Matyas’s website earlier to download a music file and was blocked on my Win 10 pc from doing so. I booted up my Win 7 pc which use a different anti-virus and was again blocked by the Microsoft SmartScreen. See the attached screenshot. I had to use a workaround to get the mp3 file. Did the same to get the others.

It is possible that other users may avoid and not use the EM website because of the SmartScreen Filter which deem it unsafe when you try to download a music file. Do not believe it is unsafe as the downloaded mp3 files scanned as clean on my AV. No users on this forum has reported this in the past. I believe the website is safe. One can get the files with workarounds.

Would value your opinion and your thoughts to this issue at hand. Ignore SmartScreen message and use a workaround like I did?? Let Eric Maytas know about the issue so he might attempt to correct it?? Keep quiet about it ??
[Thumb - EM website.jpg]
 Filename
EM website.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Downloads blocked on Eric Maytas website.MPM
 Filesize
581 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
50 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for posting about this issue. My understanding is that SmartScreen Filter is biased against rarely downloaded files, and also it's apparently easy to blacklist an entire website simply by reporting it.

The only way that I'm aware of to change SmartScreen Filter's inaccurate determination is for multiple people to report the download as safe to MS; and/or for the website owner to tell MS their website is safe.

I just went through the steps above, and Eric should also do this but with the other box checked on the 2nd screen (NOte you will have to click on More information to expand the text to show the lower links):

Also, as far as I can tell ,SmartScreen Filter is only used by Edge, so Chrome, Opera and other browsers (including IE) are not affected. You can disable SmartScreen Filter in Edge from this control panel screen:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2019 00:09

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank You optodata for looking into this. This Windows 10 does not work as expected. I did get the files I wanted. See the screenshot attached on what I had to do. Simply clicking Download Unsafe file does not work.

I have already filled out the form online that I think the website is safe and then tried to Download Unsafe File that blocks me regardless until I found a workaround. Maybe the SmartScreen is more trouble than it is worth.

I have no plans to keep downloading software on this pc as I plan to keep it as a video editing only pc for now. I keep having to download software like 7z, audacity, etc. to do workarounds on this pc that I don't need to do on my old pc.

I have no plans to keep downloading software on this pc as I plan to keep it as a video editing only pc for now. I keep having to download software like 7z, audacity, etc. to do workarounds on this pc that I don't need to do on my old pc.

EDIT: The last paragraph keeps getting truncated after I type on this win 10 pc..
[Thumb - Windows 10 Edge problems with SmartScreen.jpg]
 Filename
Windows 10 Edge problems with SmartScreen.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Workarounds are needed on this Win 10 pc.
 Filesize
577 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
48 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 27. 2019 01:22

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Also, as far as I can tell ,SmartScreen Filter is only used by Edge, so Chrome, Opera and other browsers (including IE) are not affected. You can disable SmartScreen Filter in Edge from this control panel screen:

In my original post that is IE (Internet Explorer) screenshot from my old win 7 pc. SmartScreen is also stubborn there on IE. Workaround is to save the file from the Windows Media Player... Windows does not seem to get better...