Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What's the difference between Essentials Trial & PD17 Trial?
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Probably a question best for the Moderator, since 1) he might know the best answer and 2) might be able to get the CL webmaster to add this answer to their website if necessary.

So, I've been using PD15 for a couple years now. Decided to try a trial version of PD17 on a fresh Wn8.1 partition.

When I went to the CL website, I saw I had two choices. A (new) PD 17 Essentials pseudo trial. And a PD 17 trial.

The copy for Essentials says that it's a full blown PD 17 during its trial period, and then after that it degrades a little.

So, not seeing any reason to download the PD 17 trial, which totally quits after 30 days, I decided to try the Essentials version. (So maybe I could answer my own question if I also downloaded the PD 17 trial and installed it. But I don't want to do all that.)

Since I don't see Screen Recorder after installing Essentials, perhaps one difference is that the PD Essentials version doesn't offer Screen Recorder? (Even though the website says that it's the full blown version of PD 17. (I am still in the trial period for Features.))

Anything else that's different between PD 17 Essentials and PD 17 full?

'Cause some things (to be documented in another post) don't seem to be working quite correctly in Essentials. (I updated it to .2419.)
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Essentials is a free stripped-down version of PowerDirector. Yes, you get some premium features during the 30-day trial period -- but, afterward, it's pretty basic.

Ultimate and even Ultra are such feature-packed values. If you are at all serious about doing anything beyond basic cutting and trimming, the few dollar investment is more than worth it.

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-video-editing-software/comparison_en_US.html
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote When I went to the CL website, I saw I had two choices. A (new) PD 17 Essentials pseudo trial. And a PD 17 trial.

CL must of corrected or changed that, I no longer see any reference to the older PD17 trial being available to download from CL site. Just the "PowerDirector 17 Essential" trial and the "Director Suite 365" trial which just includes the same "PowerDirector 17 Essential" trial along with other trials, ColorDirector, AudioDirector, PhotoDirector associated with a Suite purchase.

Jeff
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Apparently the Moderator is right on it and got the link to the PD17 trial removed.

So that eliminates any confusion now. I presume that I'm using a full blown PD17 for the next 30 days. (Except, as I said, Screen Recorder didn't install with it. Seems like they've gone to a plug-in mode and perhaps one installs Screen Recorder as an add-on during a llcensed download.)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I presume that I'm using a full blown PD17 for the next 30 days. (Except, as I said, Screen Recorder didn't install with it. Seems like they've gone to a plug-in mode and perhaps one installs Screen Recorder as an add-on during a llcensed download.)

From what info CL has supplied, I don't think it's proper to state a full blown PD17 for 30 days. They have clearly stated for instance 2K/4K H.264 is not supported, H.265 not supported, among other limitations which are supported in any full blown PD17 version.

Screen Recorder missing appears to be a strange anomaly. For my perpetual PD17 install, Screen Recorder was not a add-on install but installed as part of the PD17 product.

It still appears if you want to test the full blown PD17 as you desire one needs to exercise the 30-day refund policy.

Jeff
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good call on the limitations, and I stand corrected that it's not "full blown."

So maybe that expalins some of the SVRT limitations as I wrote about elsewhere in this forum. (Although it seems that crippling the 2k/4k stuff, which shouldn't affect lower SVRT profiles.)

Well, I'm not gonna try the 30-day trial thing. (From what I've read in the forum, it's not always smooth sailing.)

I was hoping that Fry's would have a smokin' deal on PD17 Ultra like they did when I bought PD15 Ultra. ($35.) But haven't seen that yet. For that price, I wouldn't regret it if it didn't do what I wanted.