Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How Long Should a Burn Take?
Chad [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 25, 2009 17:17 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have been burning a DVD for about 2 1/2 hours now. I only have about 30 minutes worth of video or about 2.1 gigs to put on the DVD. The bar keeps telling me it's 21 % done for about the last 2 hours. Any recomendations!
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chad,

Assuming you are burning straight to disc and you have a menu in your production 21% is usually when the menu finishes encoding and the disc starts to burn. If it's still at 21% after 2 hours, it has crashed.

My advice would be burn to folders first, then copy the folders to dvd.

Hope that helps!

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
That the kind of times I would expect from a USB 1 external burner. Sounds like a crash to me, too. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Chad [Avatar]
[Post New]
So am doing what you recomended and am trying to burn the video to a folder, however I am still getting the same thing at 21%. My computer has been trying to burn a folder for two hours. This is my first video I've made with PD8 and I had absolutly no problem through the creation process. Right now I'd like to throw my computer against a wall! I need this video for this weekend for a rally! Is there ANYWAY I can get this off my computer!!?! GOD BLESS ANYONE WHO CAN HELP!!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
What format is the video in? I work mostly with mpeg 2, but in the past when I had a different format it did seem to take a lot longer, or if you mix formats. Could that be a problem? Have you tried burning a small sample folder to see if it is your video or just the process on your computer? Maybe make a 5 minute movie and burn it to a DVD folder on your hard drive. If that works, then add menus, etc. and see what happens. It is a lot of work, but it could narrow down the problem. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Are you using menus? I remember reading another recent post where someone had the same problem crashing at 21% and it may have been related to the menu.

Does it play properly in the preview window? There may be a clip which PD does not like (corrupted file) and that is causing the hang. Next time you try producing the file and it stops at 21% take a look at the timer to see where in the video the problem occurs and then look at the timeline to see what is going on. You may want to delete that clip and try reinserting it. You may need to reload that clip back into your computer.

Basically if it always crashes in the same spot then theirs a problem with the source video, the menu, or perhaps a memory issue with your computer. Maybe someone else may have another suggestion.

Can you also post your computer specs? Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Chad [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am running on a Dell Optiplex 720, AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4200+, 2.00GB RAM, 204GB free space, on Windows XP Pro w/SP3. The DVD drive is a TSSTCorp model TS-H653A. I can burn files to DVD using Roxio just fine, and in PowerDirector when I go to Create Disc, Burn, and just create the file without burning to disc, it still also hangs at 21%. My project contains several MOVs, MPGs, and MP4s, and I can play the entire project through inside PowerDirector.

So I'm thinking it is a setting somewhere that needs to be changed or it's a bug in the program. Let me know what else I can look at, otherwise I will be requesting a refund for the program and the unhelpful technical support.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chad,

The 21% seems suspicious. Did you check to see what the timer said (or watch the preview while rendering) to see what clip may be causing the problem? I would start a new project and try inserting only that clip which is playing at the 21% mark. See if that clip by itself will render properly.

Based on your computer specs you will be fine provided you are not using HD content. You may want to increase the amount of RAM.

Is this the only project you've tried? I would also try another project with multiple clips and see if that project will also crash. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Russ888 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 20, 2009 20:19 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I'm new to this program but did you make sure all clips are formatted the same. I burned my first DVD yesterday and got a warning message to check that all clips were the same format. By right clicking on each clip I found some were interlaced and some were progressive. I changed them all to interlaced and the DVD burned fine.
Kenneth [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2009 21:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chad,

For it's worth,I am new to this as well. Attempted to burn my first DVD this morning, and guess what??? My burn stops at 21% also. It's incredibibly frustrating and I have a presentation this week. If you find anything out, please share.

Regards
Chad [Avatar]
[Post New]
Kenneth -
So here is what I was succeffully able to do after about 4 days of trying different things. Apparently the application didn't like the fact that I had video coming from different sources. I know that the PD is suppose to be able to handle this, but it didn't (for whatever reason). I removed almost every clip and tried burning them seperatly and they worked fine, just not together as one video. SO...I produced the video into an mp4 on my computer's harddrive. Then I took that production/file and dropped it into a NEW PD production. Then the whole production was an mp4. I had to go and insert chapers manually, but at least it worked!
PerryL [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2009 18:16 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the exact same 21% problem. I have been using PD 7u for a year now and just upgraded to PD 8u today. I tried burning several different projects, some of them that burned just fine in PD7 (I opened and saved them in PD8 first before attempting to burn). I restarted my computer several times, and even uninstalled and reinstalled PD8u. Even when burning to DVD+R , DVD+RW, and Creating a File it always stops at 21%. To be more specific; when I click burn it starts out at 0%, the time elapsed begins to count, and the time remaining shows “-- “ At 10% complete elapsed time reads 00:01:03 and time remaining reads “--“ and this continues until it gets to 21% the elapse time continues to count up but all the sudden a time in time remain appears (~00:06:00) and beings to count down. As it counts down the percentage doesn’t increase but the elapse time does. Once the time remaining gets to 00:00:01 it just stops, percentage complete still reads 21%, and the elapsed time continues to increase. I have let it continue until the elapse time reads over an hour, but nothing happens. I have attempted at least 10 times with different projects (the projects play just fine in the Edit Timeline view) and this is the exact same result every time.

Also, when i attempt to burn without a menu, it just stays at 0%, and the elapse time counts. Remaining time shows "--"